Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Leatherique is pretty much the end all be all for deep cleaning, restoration and dyeing. I'd use something else for quick cleaning though, leatherique is quite an operation.

I've got enough left for one treatment, I think I'm going to save it for lauren's car, I need to order something else for maintenance in my car. Call me snooty but I am NOT putting meguiar's on my Nappa leather or steering wheel.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
The only realistic option to add noticeable power to the stock 2.5L would be to install a turbo kit on the thing. With Matt's infinite wisdom, he could probably figure out how to put together a kit and keep it within reason cost wise.

If you want to keep things naturally aspirated and add a moderate amount of power, you could drop in the ZHP motor for a couple grand and sell the 2.5L to recover some of the investment. Said and done it will only be a ~45hp bump over stock.

If you'd be ok with spending a good bit of money and really wanted to get crazy you could find a shop that would be willing to take on an M62B44 swap which would give you 282hp/320ft-lbs which would certainly be nothing to sneeze at.

The end all be all, bad ass wagon, that will make your male coworkers choke on their coffee and have all kind of inappropriate thoughts, would of course be the LS1 swap. If you get the Z06 motor you'd have 405hp/400ft-lbs out of the box, with a myriad of cheap bolt on parts that make an LS1 f'ckin mean.

I rode with a guy at an autocross once that had a calypso 325i sedan with an LS1 swapped in, something like 450hp I think. I've never seen someone steer a car with the throttle pedal like that, we looked out of the side windows more than the windshield. It had so much power he literally babied it around the first corner, granny shifted into 2nd and got himself situated where he wanted, and then just unleashed an epic wall of insanity for the rest of the course.

Afterwards he was telling me how if you slam it down into 3rd on the highway it WILL kick the ass out, even when you're headed in a straight line. So yeah, that would pretty much be the endgame E46 touring, but it would probably also cost $12k to build.
If you can find a tuner, you can boost almost anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
We're talking about an E46. Does the Z3 rack swap easily into an E46?

Yeah, I talked to Jordan and payed him. He should be shipping it out in a couple days.

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan... View Post
Anyone here ever work through a hiring agency? A friend referred me to a company, and they called me today to come in for an interview tomorrow. Job is mixing chemicals for an pharmaceutical company, 4 days on, 4 off, 6p-6a, starting pay is $13.50/hour. The schedule is pretty baller actually, it would allow me to keep my security job and work the days/hours I want

From what I understand, I'd be hired by the agency, and after 6 months the company can hire me directly? If they wanted me to come in for an interview ASAP, does that actually mean there's a good chance I could be hired?

Any insight appreciated
I had a friend get hired through one, they took a percentage of his paycheck for it as well.

Quote:
Leatherique is pretty much the end all be all for deep cleaning, restoration and dyeing. I'd use something else for quick cleaning though, leatherique is quite an operation.

I've got enough left for one treatment, I think I'm going to save it for lauren's car, I need to order something else for maintenance in my car. Call me snooty but I am NOT putting meguiar's on my Nappa leather or steering wheel.

What's wrong with Meguiars?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Fast Cars Suck!

Send a message via AIM to Joe__Sterling
Mein Auto: '13 FIAT 500 '68 BMW 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I've been so busy at work lately that I'm clueless about what's going on here. Do you own an MR2 now, or were you just driving a friend's car?
yup got an 89 MR2 T top for 1300 that needs nothing at all mechanically, friend owned it since 2003 and only put 6k miles on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Nice, Joe. That car actually sounds like a lot of fun.
its a blast, its not "fast" but its not economy car slow either, just keep it in second and use all of that 7500rpm redline

its odd to drive fast, you chuck it in and it understeers slightly then catches. if you go wayy to fast and poke it with a stick you can get the tail to step out, and when it does its hysterical...short wheelbase, 55% rear weight balance...you do the math

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
yeah he bought an MR2... and its an AUTO!
for now!!

*The I Drove to Both East and West Coast Bimmerfest Club* Member #1
@Joe__Sterling on twitter & instagram (two underscores)
Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Fast Cars Suck!

T tops FTW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1345063965.579393.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	336989  

Old 08-15-2012, 03:00 PM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
What's wrong with Meguiars?
As I understand it the cheap autozone type products use petroleum or silicone to give the leather the appearance of being clean, but all it does is cause build up on the leather over time. If you want to really clean and treat it properly, you need something that will soak into the leather and drive the dirt and salts from your sweat out of the leather and a natural conditioner.

Leatherique made a huge improvement on my sad looking vaders, and it made my E46 seats look pretty much new, save for some minor aging and stretching in the leather.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
yeah he bought an MR2... and its an AUTO!
What what? That's crazy talk.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Needs Boost

Quote:
As I understand it the cheap autozone type products use petroleum or silicone to give the leather the appearance of being clean, but all it does is cause build up on the leather over time. If you want to really clean and treat it properly, you need something that will soak into the leather and drive the dirt and salts from your sweat out of the leather and a natural conditioner.

Leatherique made a huge improvement on my sad looking vaders, and it made my E46 seats look pretty much new, save for some minor aging and stretching in the leather.

Oh, well I don't call that the real Meguiars products. I use their professional line, the one you have to buy online or through a dealer. I love most of everything they offer from cleaning to buffing.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 PM
King of Drone

Quote:
Oh, well I don't call that the real Meguiars products. I use their professional line, the one you have to buy online or through a dealer. I love most of everything they offer from cleaning to buffing.
Oh yeah, I have no experience with their professional stuff, I'm sure its pretty good.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Fast Cars Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
What what? That's crazy talk.
yeah yeah i know i know...i hate auto's..so this wont stay this way long.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
New use for style 45s. Going on Lurch (when he finally runs )

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1345066705030.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	336994  
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
I like pie.

Mein Auto: 96 318ti, 93 BMW 325IS
Leatherique must have one of the worst web catalogs I have ever attempted to navigate, but I can't find the dye kits any where else, google just gives me a million places to buy the rejuvenation kits. Is there any thing special about Leatherique's dyes, or can I just get any old leather dye and a Leatherique cleaning kit?.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM
D'oh, You kids!

I'd stick with Leatherique dye if you use Leatherique cleaning and rejuvenating products.

Here is their entire product line page:

http://www.leatherique.com/products.html
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
New use for style 45s. Going on Lurch (when he finally runs )

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App
I think they will work well with the Blazer body, nice.

Ken, still not having any luck finding an M10 AFM, what was the place you told me to call? I forget.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 PM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Wtf watching so you think you can dance...

Wife's choice tonight. I got top gear last night.
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
I had a terrible experience changing the oil the Subaru for the first time last night:

1) Oil filter surrounded by exhaust, requiring a trip to two stores to buy a filter wrench. Took the new filter with me to test filter wrench sizes. Bought the appropriate filter wrench and returned home, only to realize that the filter wrench did not fit the filter on the car... Only way I could get the old filter off was by using leather work gloves to allow me to reach up into the scalding hot exhaust and unscrew it manually. Of course I got a hot shot of oil down my forearm as soon as the filter came off...

2) Oil pan drain plug was on so tight it required a lot of might and a 3 foot breaker bar............ Previous owner had just taken the car to an instant oil change place before we bought it. WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU EVER PUT A DRAIN PLUG ON SO TIGHTLY?!?!

3) Once I got the drain plug out, the force at which the oil came out was insane, and immediately exceeded the rate at which my closed-top oil catch pan could collect the oil, thus resulting in an Exxon-Valdez moment... HUGE lake of oil on the street - probably 2-2.5 quarts... I quickly stopped it from running down the street and into the storm drain, and I soon got some cat litter from the house to soak it up. I got it cleaned up pretty well, but there's definitely a huge ass stain on the road now. Should have used my open-top catch pan... Hindsight is 20/20.

Only nice thing about doing this job was not having to jack the car up. Should be easier for me next time around, though.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 08-15-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Fast Cars Suck!

jeez that doesnt sound fun at all

Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Fast Cars Suck!

ZOMG i wanna go to this.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
So...I went to test drive the turbo e36.

Good news: Body in good condition, interior pretty good (although the interior seats were swapped) it can drive like a bat outta he-double toothpics. 50 to 100 in about 1 second.
Bad: Has CEL on, needs brakes, rough idle, squeek in steering column, Koni yellows are rusted and need replaced, there are NO records or documented maintenance history (hell, the current owner said he didn't even run a CarFax when he bought it), and worst of all, the body feels like it shimmys (not alot, but noticeable)....the steering wheel vibrates but does not move side to side.

It feels like my dad's wrecked and repaired car from the 70s...either that or a wheel is seriously bent. Thoughts? It's not the turbo, is it?

I think
a) It was NOT comfortable at all for any sort of DD.
b) I don't trust the shimmy.
c) I hate to admit it, but I wonder if the turbo might just be too much car for me right now.

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"
Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Jen if your instinct says to pass, then trust it.

The perfect clownshoe will be there for you.

(Subtle enough?)

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
Jen if your instinct says to pass, then trust it.

The perfect clownshoe will be there for you. (Subtle enough?)
Yeah, I thought so. The M3 owner and the M3Z owner were exact polar opposite in terms of anal-ness and communication.

Buh bye turbo build

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"
Old 08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
I just read what is probably the best build thread of all time. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...148000&page=26

I'm awe over the painstaking detail. I made an account there so i could sub this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
squeek in steering column,
Fairly common on E36s. The lower steering column bearing lube dries out and the bearing squeaks. Sometimes it actually causes a bind that feels like the power steering has quit. Easy fix though. Couple of good shots of PB Blaster and it's good as new.

Everything else sounds like red flags though...........

Ed's right. You want another car, but you don't NEED another car so you can afford to be selective and wait for the right one.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:45 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Quote:
I think they will work well with the Blazer body, nice.
Not a bad deal for $60 (yes, $60 for all four style 45s, and they came with usable but worn 215-55-16s). Bought them over a year ago, Amber was using them as spares until she got her wheel and tire situation sorted out. The girl is hard on tires, lemme tell ya.

You might know, as soon as I start mounting up the massive tires, I find another set of wheels for super cheap that I'd like even more:

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/pts/3191434774.html

but no $$$ for them, let alone tires to go on 'em.

Quote:
Ken, still not having any luck finding an M10 AFM, what was the place you told me to call? I forget.
Vines Automotive, Bessemer, AL. 205-426-2697. Ask for Martin Fisher

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
well, got the exhaust (sorta) finished....it works, doesn't bang the chassis, and (i think, from the driver seat) it sounds ok. about the outer limit of what i think it should be, but better than the oe set up.

the muffler just hangs down a bit lower than i would like, but i don't have anything to bend pipe, so it's just gonna have to stay as it is.

tried to make a vid but it won't load.

i also think i got a malware virus. some of my google searches send me to 'buy here cheap stuffs' websites and i really don't care to do so.

i love having the arc welder, though. like it better than the mig unit i have. both are cheapy units, so no major bridges are going to be built by df & co.

going to new brunswick in the am for a convention. always a blast.

can't wait for bfe!!!

df
Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 PM
I like pie.

Mein Auto: 96 318ti, 93 BMW 325IS
http://now.msn.com/bmw-sold-for-1-do...uction-mistake

Wholly crap.

Closed Thread