Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
mapp gas burns hotter than propane, and some places have a mini torch set, that you can run mapp and oxygen together.

i had one of those set ups a while ago, siple design, one knob. excellent for brazing, btw...

got desperate and needed a length of hose *just* that size, and well, y'know, sometimes ya gottsta do what ya gottsta do...

and dino, that sounds like a horrible vac leak....

cj, depending upon how the campus is, how far are you from everything @ school?? i'd be more concerned about the insurance rates going up more than anything else.

as for the stud, the mapp gas or a dremel with a tiny cut off wheel might work. also a long punch, (or drift) would also work if you were to cut it off @ the flange and punch it out when hot.

a combination of disciplines, my youn grasshoppah...

df
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
I'm using my grinder, and I can get it down to the flange, but I really don't think I'll have enough strength to hit it out using a hammer and punch.

Chance that it will seal ok with 1 of 2 nuts? I'm so done trying to get this thing out.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
This broken exhaust stud is the biggest PITA. Of course it's the most inconvenient stud that breaks... it's the one right next to the frame rail. The head of the stud (on the back of the flange) might as well be welded. And since it's so close to the frame rail, I can't get my grinder in there.

I've been heating the flange up with a propane torch and hitting it with a ton of pb blaster several times. I can't get a sledge in there, but I've been hitting it with the hammer and it won't budge. Not even a bit.

Any other ideas?
Cut it flush with a Dremel tool cut off wheel,

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...l.aspx?pid=409

Then grind out the center body with a grinding tip

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...aspx?pid=83322

Drive out the remainder with a drift punch

You need to take some care in how hard you smack it because if you break off the flange you'll have the stud out but a much bigger issue..........

Last edited by dc_wright; 08-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:53 PM

did you say it pressed in, or does it thread in??

i know this is a difficult process, but believe me when i tell you that i have been there. a few times.

acetylene torches are a handy dandy tool, and they come in a small wheeled set up, but can be quite pricey. why i use mapp gas. more portable and cheaper.

take a break from it, hit it fresh.

df
Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM
some kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Cut it flush with a Dremel tool cut off wheel,

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...l.aspx?pid=409

Then grind out the center body with a grinding tip

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...aspx?pid=83322

Drive out the remainder with a drift punch

You need to take some care in how hard you smack it because if you break off the flange you'll have the stud out but a much bigger issue..........
I was able to get it flush with my grinder. I think that grinder tip is exactly what I need... Except that one says it only works on non-ferrous metals. I think it would just disintegrate on the bolt. Plus I don't have a dremel. I would need one that works on a drill. Or maybe something like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...kit-53177.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
did you say it pressed in, or does it thread in??

i know this is a difficult process, but believe me when i tell you that i have been there. a few times.

acetylene torches are a handy dandy tool, and they come in a small wheeled set up, but can be quite pricey. why i use mapp gas. more portable and cheaper.

take a break from it, hit it fresh.

df
The stud is pressed in. I'll have to take a look at mapp gas, seems that it is very cheap, and can be used just like propane. I didn't see it at HD, though. Maybe I just missed it

Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Fireballs inc.

Send a message via AIM to Mr Gusta
Mein Auto: big turbo hellrot sedan
could be that, pop the serpentine belt off and start it for a second, if it doesnt make the noise then you know if its that.

Turbo lag is just a headstart because the chase is more exciting than the win - Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I was able to get it flush with my grinder. I think that grinder tip is exactly what I need... Except that one says it only works on non-ferrous metals. I think it would just disintegrate on the bolt. Plus I don't have a dremel. I would need one that works on a drill. Or maybe something like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...kit-53177.html

The stud is pressed in. I'll have to take a look at mapp gas, seems that it is very cheap, and can be used just like propane. I didn't see it at HD, though. Maybe I just missed it
The grinder tip was for example. If you've got a die grinder to use with the stone set that would work great! You want something that turns high RPMs otherwise you'll be there forever.
Not only is that stud pressed in but it probably has a knurled shoulder to keep it from spinning. It's probably almost welded itself in place by now. You're going to have to remove as much of it as possible to weaken it's grip and then you can drive out the remainder.
I was going to suggest trying a battery terminal puller but I don't think you could get it in there and even if you did it likely will give before the stud moves.
This is a wild idea, but if you have a wire feed welder and some fine wire you could weld a new stud to the stump of the old stud, grind it down enough to fit the exhaust flange flush and I think it would probably hold fine. Then you don't have to get it out and use a bolt and nut.

Last edited by dc_wright; 08-20-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
some kid

Welding a stud on there is a great idea! Would be much quicker than using a die grinder to get the whole thing out.

The only problem that I can think of is that the weld bead will prevent it from sitting flush. Maybe I should weld on an 8mm stud instead of the 10mm so that the bead sits inside the hole for the midpipe flange?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
That should work well CJ

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 PM

If you can get a small enough bead when you weld the 10mm you can use a 45 degree counter sink tool on the mating part to give you clearance for the bead. If not then the 8 mm will likely do the job, particularly if you can get a high grade material.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 PM

dunno if that will work quite as well as it sounds....the manifold is cast, and the studs/bolts are forged/machined.

cj, look up mig welding cast iron, and also arc welding it. see what the details are and if a special flux is needed for this.

i seem to remember that cast metal parts like manifolds are a pain to weld as they tend to crack. double check an annealing process and seeifit is necessary. if so, then that would require the manifold to be removed and placed in an oven.

may as well pull the manifold off and work it on a bench if you need to anneal a cast weld.

just saying...

df
Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
dunno if that will work quite as well as it sounds....the manifold is cast, and the studs/bolts are forged/machined.

cj, look up mig welding cast iron, and also arc welding it. see what the details are and if a special flux is needed for this.

i seem to remember that cast metal parts like manifolds are a pain to weld as they tend to crack. double check an annealing process and seeifit is necessary. if so, then that would require the manifold to be removed and placed in an oven.

may as well pull the manifold off and work it on a bench if you need to anneal a cast weld.

just saying...

df
And saying right . Take the manifold off and do it right. Welding in place isn't going to work

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 PM
some kid

Well... I found out the hard way. Almost seemed like it would work, but it snapped before I got barely any tension on it. It really sucks to work all day on one little thing and fail in every possible way. And it all could've been avoided if I just spent 2 minutes and heated up the nut before trying to remove it

I'm gonna try drilling it out tomorrow. Pulling the manifold looks insanely hard on the M54. Can't even see any of the nuts.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Quote:
Well... I found out the hard way. Almost seemed like it would work, but it snapped before I got barely any tension on it. It really sucks to work all day on one little thing and fail in every possible way. And it all could've been avoided if I just spent 2 minutes and heated up the nut before trying to remove it

I'm gonna try drilling it out tomorrow. Pulling the manifold looks insanely hard on the M54. Can't even see any of the nuts.
Experience is a teacher that frequently kicks you in the ass. Hang in there, CJ.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Pictures of Eddie's 1983 633CSi E24. The body is in a lot better shape than mine, the seats are WAY better than mine, but the carpet is trashed. Worst thing appearance-wise is the totally dead Burgundrot-Metallic paint. I mean, it's FLAT flat. The only hint of gloss is below the belt trim on the sides. The good thing is that it hasn't peeled at all. Cut and buff tomorrow.....

The ignition tumbler is messed up. The key works on the trunk and passenger's door, but not the driver's door or ignition. Brand new-from-BMW key. It will almost turn in the ignition tumbler.

We're going to strip and repaint those Style 65s back to silver. Four new Kumho tires, too. Not bad for $750.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left front.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	338088   Click image for larger version

Name:	left side.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	338089   Click image for larger version

Name:	left rear.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	338090   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine compartment 1.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	338091   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine compartment 2.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	338092  

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine compartment 3.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	338093  

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Cool, looks pretty solid. I noticed that it has a BMWCCA sticker in the window, so it was loved by someone along the way. Any idea if it runs?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Long story short, the previous owner once removed abandoned the car (and a LOT of other stuff) when his wife won a divorce settlement a little over a year ago. He literally went missing (with his money) and hasn't been seen since. The wife sent the car to auction, the guy Eddie bought it from is a member of the local BMW-CCA chapter and he got the car at that auction. The car was running a year ago when it was parked. It was serviced (coolant flush, oil and filter) at Grady BMW in Mobile in June of last year.

OK, so I failed at making it a short story.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
Maybe it's just me, but it looks pretty sweet as it sits. Silver wheels with that flat paint will look bad ass.
You can’t spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Got a chance to look at the E36, water pump replaced with an off brand from Kragen just FOUR WEEKS ago, it's totally shot and pissing coolant everywhere. At least I have the receipt and can get a free warranty replacement from them. Still...wasn't looking to do that.

Also have a crank sensor code, may be my idling problem. All the DIYs say intake manifold removal if you don't have skinny hands, any tips for doing it with big hands and manifold on?

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-21-2012, 08:15 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Crank sensor or knock sensor? I think i replaced my two knock sensors with the manifold off, Idk about the crank. I can reach the plug with the manifold on (very uncomfortably) but theres' no way you could get a ratchet in there to remove it.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Crank sensor doesn't need manifold off (at least on the m50)

Knock sensors good luck with the manifold on lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App

-Dino
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
I don't see whats so bad about removing the manifold. Being new to BMW engines I had mine off in 10 minutes... without breaking anything.

Quote:
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Crank is the code I'm getting.
P1396 Crankshaft Position Sensor Segment Timing Plausibility

Also getting P0116 (coolant temp sensor), P1250 (not listed, maybe fuel pressure reg), and missing on cyls 2 & 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM
I6 feels good

Mein Auto: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Crank is the code I'm getting.
P1396 Crankshaft Position Sensor Segment Timing Plausibility

Also getting P0116 (coolant temp sensor), P1250 (not listed, maybe fuel pressure reg), and missing on cyls 2 & 3.

Wow!!! You have the same codes as my E36

And I'm missing on cylinder 4 & 5... Runs like poo
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
CPS failing can cause misfires.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Closed Thread