Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:24 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
I know why Chad, he's the same guy that did all those things to make his Hyundai "look good".

P.S. Aren't you due another Audi by now?
Not quite yet, maybe the next car.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
Why is it so hard to find an X-brace used? I can find a few X-braces off of verts in junk yards, they are cheap. Wondering if the diference's warrent paying extra for the little side bars. I can find one for $40 off a vert.
Tell me about it... I waited over year for a good deal on the motorsport version to come up used for a decent price. Seems that everyone wants to sell them for $130-150, which is not that much less than a brand new one, and is the reason why I eventually caved and just bought a new one. And of course, as soon as I did, two great local deals came up...

I'd hold out for the motorsport version. The extra side bars add stiffness, which is the whole reason you're installing an x-brace in the first place. If you're going to go through the trouble of installing one, you might as well install the best one you can. The motorsport version also allows an unobstructed path for the oil to exit the oil pan, so you won't make a huge mess every time you change the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post
Brad S-ER spec-v SLAMMED is hot.
Um, what? There is nothing hot about a FWD Nissan economy car with a few tweaks. You'd essentially be attempting to pimp out a rental car.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 10-24-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I don't like the Camaros either, but the ZL1 is a definite performance bargain at $55k.

Except that they are a nightmare to drive on a track because you can't see out of them to save your life. They are surprisingly quick on a road coarse for how big they are, however.

Yeah, the RS is just a 300'ish horsepower V6.

Have you driven one on the track Karl?

They aren't easy to see out of, but I haven't had a "major" problem with it. Just old farts would complain about backing up, but that's why they installed a backup camera in most of them.

And the RS is not a V6, the RS is a appearance package.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Tell me about it... I waited over year for a good deal on the motorsport version to come up used for a decent price. Seems that everyone wants to sell them for $130-150, which is not that much less than a brand new one, and is the reason why I eventually caved and just bought a new one. And of course, as soon as I did, two great local deals came up...

I'd hold out for the motorsport version. The extra side bars add stiffness, which is the whole reason you're installing an x-brace in the first place. If you're going to go through the trouble of installing one, you might as well install the best one you can. The motorsport version also allows an unobstructed path for the oil to exit the oil pan, so you won't make a huge mess every time you change the oil.

Um, what? There is nothing hot about a FWD Nissan economy car with a few tweaks. You'd essentially be attempting to pimp out a rental car.
This lol

Old 10-24-2012, 01:42 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
This x the value of our national debt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
Which I actually do really like.

With all this talk of plastic-interiored American muscle, that reminds me of one car I really would LOVE to own. High school friends dad had a Lingenfelter GTO.

YUM.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 10-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Santa

Mein Auto: 95 M3 --- 98 Camry D/D
bahhhhh have to help my brother do RTAB's tonight FML. Time to go find the clamp tool i made to put them in...possibly one of my least favorite suspension jobs things are a pain to coax out of the carrier. Then mobil one oil change on mine and wanna jack her up and 3m undercoat everything before winter (except the exhaust)

1998 Camry- DD Duty
1995 M3 Avus- Money Pit
1998 323IS- Sold/Satan Car
1993 318IS-Totaled
1995 325i-Lux- Sold
Why you don't buy Meyle suspension stuff -http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ostcount=86094
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Have you driven one on the track Karl?

They aren't easy to see out of, but I haven't had a "major" problem with it. Just old farts would complain about backing up, but that's why they installed a backup camera in most of them.
I've driven one around Seattle. I didn't really have any issues with visibility during the short drive I took, but I've watched interviews and spoken with race drivers who have said that trying to hustle the new Camaro on a race track in traffic is a nail biting ordeal, and as a result, it's hard to drive it with the amount of confidence and speed which is desired in a race setting.

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. I guess I thought that all RS Camaros were V6 cars is because I think virtually all of the Camaros I've seen with RS badges didn't have a V8.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Needs Boost

Quote:
I've driven one around Seattle. I didn't really have any issues with visibility during the short drive I took, but I've watched interviews and spoken with race drivers who have said that trying to hustle the new Camaro on a race track in traffic is a nail biting ordeal, and as a result, it's hard to drive it with the amount of confidence and speed which is desired in a race setting.

Ah, gotcha. I guess I thought that all RS Camaros were V6 cars is because I think virtually all of the Camaros I've seen with RS badges didn't have a V8.
IIRC, White SS badge is non RS package, red SS bad is RS package.

I don't remember all it includes, but the big thing is the HID projectors with half angel eyes.

On my little drive of the ZL1, I noticed it is super smooth. I'm not very keen on that because, well look at what I drive lol. However I can see why people say it can be daily driven with ease. It's hard to judge how fast it is just because of that. The gearing felt very long in comparison to our cars, so it seemed like it took a long time to wind out third gear but that was plenty fast enough for a non (kidding, I meant a prepped race track ) track road. Supercharger wine was very light, and the sound of the car inside was very very nice. I would prefer both to be louder but that's just me, I like everything loud.

The braking is INSANE! Two piece rotors up front, Brembo fixed calipers, etc, the pedal feel is perfect IMO and I couldn't even get myself to smash it the whole way down for fear of the seatbelt snapping my collar bone haha.

Didn't get a chance to hit any winding roads, so no review on the suspension other than it's very smooth like I said.

Bah, I need to get to a track with my car ASAP!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:27 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
Chad...you haz PM

Guys..insurance upped its settlement offer to $10.1k (if they keep the car) and approx $8.5k (cash to me) if I keep the car. I have 2 forum guys that seem very interested (listed at $4950, maybe get $4k, and I keep the tires and rims).

Thoughts? I still think I am undervalued by about $1.5k (which is the amount of the subframe reinforcement). I'd like to walk away with $10k and the car. Am I nuts?

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"

Last edited by TechieTechie; 10-24-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I Am The Machine

Replied

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 10-24-2012, 05:59 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
My car has now decided to turn the airbag light on after 5-10 minutes of driving on my way to work this morning, despite having 100 ohm resistors shoved in the seat belt switch wiring. I pulled the code and... No code. Clear it, light goes out.

On my way home, light comes on, so I check it when I get home. No code. I soldered the resistor into the wires to make sure it wasn't a bad connection and test drove it, same sh!t.

I checked the circuit with a multimeter, and its all over the place, 110-180 ohms, drops to zero, comes back after a while.

I have no idea what's going on with this thing, maybe something is shorting out the wiring in that circuit on the way to the SRS control module, or the control module is going out, but wouldn't that throw a code?

Googling turns up nothing, Any suggestions?

I obviously need to dig deeper with my multimeter, maybe I should start a thread...
Old 10-24-2012, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
could it be the ring in the steering wheel? a bad contact ring would give you bonkers readings while driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
could it be the ring in the steering wheel? a bad contact ring would give you bonkers readings while driving...
Oh that's sharp thinking .......I like it. Don't know if the circuit includes the steering wheel AB on the same circuit as the seat belt sensors but either way that's very clever.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 10-24-2012, 06:16 PM

heh heh heh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36h6v7.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	347250  

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 PM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
^
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Needs Boost

Who runs or jogs here?

Any reason why my calfs get really tight? Makes it difficult to run

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App

Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Who runs or jogs here?

Any reason why my calfs get really tight? Makes it difficult to run

it could be from running on your toes, or running flat footed(letting your feet slap when they hit the ground) another reason could be that you're not hydrated enough. also make sure that you stretch out for about 5 minutes after running otherwise your muscles are just going to tense up trying to return to their original shape and then when you try to move them its gonna hurt real bad. 4 years in the army taught me plenty about running, other than it sucks and i hate it.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Contact ring came new with the steering wheel, and if it was an issue there, you'd think the original code would have read drivers airbag or something.

I checked the occupancy sensor resistance at the control module, with the car and it was all over the place, 0-140ohms, so it's definitely more than the seat belt switch wiring. It might be the wiring getting pinched on the way to the seats freaking out that circuit, or maybe the control module really is on the way out. I can try to test other wires from the module to figure out if its limited to the seat wiring. I just wish I knew what values I was really looking for.

I'm giving it a battery nap right now to see if maybe the module was just on the fritz
Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Santa

Mein Auto: 95 M3 --- 98 Camry D/D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Chad...you haz PM

Guys..insurance upped its settlement offer to $10.1k (if they keep the car) and approx $8.5k (cash to me) if I keep the car. I have 2 forum guys that seem very interested (listed at $4950, maybe get $4k, and I keep the tires and rims).

Thoughts? I still think I am undervalued by about $1.5k (which is the amount of the subframe reinforcement). I'd like to walk away with $10k and the car. Am I nuts?
Keep it fix her up save some cash for some of dat forced induction or keep the car save it (not sure if you have garage room) and go buy an m3 with that leftover cash....... and yeah there always going to low-ball you what insurance company is fair but you know they'll almost never give you full cost unless your a darn sly girl and can somehow prove 100% that thats the overall damage. Just good luck i guess sorry for the loss nice looking wagon

Anddd RTAB done on my brothers car four hours later :/ hate that jobbb all looked well though camber was darn near perfect..... alignment tomorrow then time to work on my baby

1998 Camry- DD Duty
1995 M3 Avus- Money Pit
1998 323IS- Sold/Satan Car
1993 318IS-Totaled
1995 325i-Lux- Sold
Why you don't buy Meyle suspension stuff -http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ostcount=86094

Last edited by bimmer claus; 10-24-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 PM
nothing.

Mein Auto: A dream
i run and i never have that issue... sorry matt.

5:03 PR for the 1600m (1 mile)

I am happy with that.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
it could be from running on your toes, or running flat footed(letting your feet slap when they hit the ground) another reason could be that you're not hydrated enough. also make sure that you stretch out for about 5 minutes after running otherwise your muscles are just going to tense up trying to return to their original shape and then when you try to move them its gonna hurt real bad. 4 years in the army taught me plenty about running, other than it sucks and i hate it.

How should my feet hit the ground?

I'm plenty hydrated though.

Quote:
i run and i never have that issue... sorry matt.

5:03 PR for the 1600m (1 mile)

I am happy with that.
Dude that's crazy fast.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
i run and i never have that issue... sorry matt. 5:03 PR for the 1600m (1 mile) I am happy with that.
Franklin...that is crazy fast. Next time, I think you should try the beer mile. It was an annual thing with my tri team. Was a track running event where every mile, you have to stop and chug a beer. Last man standing, literally, wins It was simultaneously hilarious and horrifying to watch..

Oh, and calf stiffness can also be caused by achilles tightness. If you really want to know, check out this book. Absolutely amazing how much referred pain we carry http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-...501834-0012968

Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Need Some Low

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
Quote:
How should my feet hit the ground?

I know it sounds funny, but Google it. There's gotta be tons of videos from podiatrists on the subject. When running at a speed slower than a sprint your foot should naturally roll from the heel to the ball of your foot.

There are tons of technical terms for the way this happens and how yours compares to the biometrically ideal gait. It sounds like you're relying too much on your calves by running on the balls of your feet (or underpronation/supination, what's your arch like?). Next time try to get more heel-strike and pronate through each step.

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

Last edited by EnserioJose; 10-24-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Oh, and 3 days out, there have been 4 bids on the touring and 44 people watching. Wouldn't that be cool if it went in a bidding war?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Jen I found the box of lug bolts the guy gave with the wheels in my car lol

-Dino
Closed Thread