Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:20 PM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
what is this radio thingy that you speak of?? duz it need lektrik tuh werk??

df
Naw y'all jus gotta cut into dem pewerrr line n y'all have good radios

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Old 10-27-2012, 02:54 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
This.... can't be good.

Right under the outlet for cylinder 6. Could this be anything other than a crack in the block? Oil is still clean, no milkshake to speak of, but I can't think of where this would be coming from other than from inside the block. What are my options? Can I keep driving it?

Fvck.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:03 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
that appears to be an external head gasket leak. no, you will not make any milkshakiness, but it will continue to leak, so keep an eye on the fluid level.

you could probably nurse it for a little bit if you needed to, but i think that it'll simply bug you to death knowing that it is there.

df
Old 10-27-2012, 03:26 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
I'll be taking leave from the end of December into the beginning of January, so I could drop it off on my way back down to VA and have Molly bring me the rest of the way. It would be beyond huge if you could do it, and I'd definitely throw some cash your way as well, for it's quite the favor. Sleep on it though and let me know, as I don't want you to commit right off the bat.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't mind doing the work. As long as you give me enough cash for a zf trans and stuff, we're good

Oh yeah, I forgot you had a 328. My setup is a getrag. No worries, though. It's out of a 318 and wasn't abused as far as I know. Still works fine with an m52.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App

Old 10-27-2012, 03:51 PM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
that appears to be an external head gasket leak. no, you will not make any milkshakiness, but it will continue to leak, so keep an eye on the fluid level.

you could probably nurse it for a little bit if you needed to, but i think that it'll simply bug you to death knowing that it is there.

df
Further research definitely points to the HG, I just have to decide how to attack it. Nurse it until I can afford a daily then DIY it, or just pay a shop when I can afford it, anyone happen to know what the book time is on a HG repair?
Old 10-27-2012, 03:55 PM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
This.... can't be good.

Right under the outlet for cylinder 6. Could this be anything other than a crack in the block? Oil is still clean, no milkshake to speak of, but I can't think of where this would be coming from other than from inside the block. What are my options? Can I keep driving it?

Fvck.
You should be ok to drive it. To be sure I would have compression tested. Have you noticed significant leaking/puddle under the car?

As df said, an external leak won't cause milkiness. But it will bother you knowing it's there. Don't try to use cooling system treatment on this either.

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Old 10-27-2012, 04:20 PM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive by72 View Post
You should be ok to drive it. To be sure I would have compression tested. Have you noticed significant leaking/puddle under the car?

As df said, an external leak won't cause milkiness. But it will bother you knowing it's there. Don't try to use cooling system treatment on this either.
No coolant is hitting the ground, or if it is its a tiny amount, most of it seems to be baking off on the block. I can rent a compression tester but the motor still feels pretty good.

My immediate plan is to call the shop and get a quote for a HG job so I know if its a realistic option. Then I'll see what it would take to DIY it, maybe I could work something out with club or forum members over thanksgiving or winter break.

Googling the cost from a shop makes it look like at least $2500.

My motor has only overheated once, and it was at least a year ago, maybe two. I know the leak started sometime this spring or summer, because I didn't see it when I did the headers. I could have caused it when I changed out the radiator, but the car never overheated during that project. It took me a while to run down that leak, but it never ran hot when I was driving it.

Actually, come to think of it, I did let it get a little hot when I was bleeding the system after swapping the radiator, but not even halfway to the hot mark. I hope that isn't what caused this.

If I'm looking at >2k I might as well buy another motor...
Old 10-27-2012, 04:48 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive by72 View Post
good country station
Now there's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one....

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 10-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Just living MY dream

Mein Auto: 1995 M3 Boston Green
Quote:
No coolant is hitting the ground, or if it is its a tiny amount, most of it seems to be baking off on the block. I can rent a compression tester but the motor still feels pretty good.

My immediate plan is to call the shop and get a quote for a HG job so I know if its a realistic option. Then I'll see what it would take to DIY it, maybe I could work something out with club or forum members over thanksgiving or winter break.

Googling the cost from a shop makes it look like at least $2500.

My motor has only overheated once, and it was at least a year ago, maybe two. I know the leak started sometime this spring or summer, because I didn't see it when I did the headers. I could have caused it when I changed out the radiator, but the car never overheated during that project. It took me a while to run down that leak, but it never ran hot when I was driving it.

Actually, come to think of it, I did let it get a little hot when I was bleeding the system after swapping the radiator, but not even halfway to the hot mark. I hope that isn't what caused this.

If I'm looking at >2k I might as well buy another motor...

Joey, you can DIY this.... its not that bad. I took my time and I think my car was down only a week. You can get a rental car, get all your parts in order, then slam it out. Look into a good machine shop to deck the head and replace(upgrade) the valve retainers (common failure spot on 95's). I had a complete valve job with new exhaust valves done on my head with the updated retainers for around 400 I think. With all the other parts I think I was under 1k for everything...... Don't stress it man, that is not a big deal for these cars.

Edit: here is my thread from when I did my HG

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...an+head+gasket

Member #2 of the Boston Green Mafia BMW-CCA #457574

1995 BG M3(sold) 2000 TiAg 4.4l X5(sold)

-2000 F250 V10
-2004 GMC Yukon Denali

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....

Last edited by crisscross; 10-27-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Randy :p
Old 10-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I6 feels good

Mein Auto: POS
Anybody wants this?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...369489745.html
Old 10-27-2012, 05:40 PM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
Joey, you can DIY this.... its not that bad. I took my time and I think my car was down only a week. You can get a rental car, get all your parts in order, then slam it out. Look into a good machine shop to deck the head and replace(upgrade) the valve retainers (common failure spot on 95's). I had a complete valve job with new exhaust valves done on my head with the updated retainers for around 400 I think. With all the other parts I think I was under 1k for everything...... Don't stress it man, that is not a big deal for these cars.

Edit: here is my thread from when I did my HG

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...an+head+gasket
This is inspiring, thank you.

I'll start pricing out the head gasket job and see what the total cost of the project would be. If I'm taking the motor apart that much, I'd be stupid not to put flanges on the headers, and fix some other stuff. I know a lot of local car people, and if I planned it I bet I could get a few people to help me tackle it. I can collect all the parts, and then plan a week to knock it out and get the head machined. I could ride with my roommate or take lauren's car to avoid a rental.

It almost seems easier to swap the motor... I wonder if I could ask around and try to turn up a sweet deal on an S50 or S52 engine with decent mileage. I could do a swap with some of my friends in a weekend. They've done 2 or 3 swaps and have the hoist and everything. Although if I go that route I can't throw in head studs to beef the motor up a little bit.

EDIT: I've already started shopping, does the ARP stud kit make it impossible to install the head in the car?

Last edited by SlimKlim; 10-27-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 PM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Quote:
This.... can't be good.

Fvck.
This is what my car is doing.... Same spot. Just watch it and you'll be fine.

Time for a night cap. Cognac it is

Ohh went through a corn maze today. Got lost, lots. Probably three miles or walking...
(Image fail... Tomorrow)
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 PM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
This is what my car is doing.... Same spot. Just watch it and you'll be fine.
Thanks!

Alan, where did you have your head machined? How much did it cost?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
Guys quick question....could I sue the venue where my injury happened for Dr bills? They had lack of security that led to the incident and did not maintain floors which caused me to slip...thoughts?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Bimmer App
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Now there's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one....
These days, yes, that is a prime definition of an oxymoron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R View Post
Guys quick question....could I sue the venue where my injury happened for Dr bills? They had lack of security that led to the incident and did not maintain floors which caused me to slip...thoughts?
Meh, it would be pretty hard to find them culpable for negligence in this instance. Not sure suing them is the honorable thing to do here, either (despite the very honorable action on your part which caused the injury).

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
These days, yes, that is a prime definition of an oxymoron.

Meh, it would be pretty hard to find them culpable for negligence in this instance. Not sure suing them is the honorable thing to do here, either (despite the very honorable action on your part which caused the injury).
well it was not handled well by them at all either, the man that hit 2 males before I stopped him from hitting the female was not arrested or anything...one of the males hit was also taking to the hospital for his nose...and no one could press charges BC the security did not get police involved and let the man leave. I'm going to speak to attorney and see about getting my med bills paid, not get rich. Not to mention that the shoving that escalated into this issue took place for 15 minutes and security did not do anything at all.

"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD

Last edited by B1MM3R; 10-27-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
It just seems that nobody forced you to serve as the "security", though. It was an action that you took upon yourself, under your own free will, since none of the aggressors were going after you. That's how I see it, anyway, but I'm certainly not an attorney.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
It just seems that nobody forced you to serve as the "security", though. It was an action that you took upon yourself, under your own free will, since none of the aggressors were going after you. That's how I see it, anyway, but I'm certainly not an attorney.
Yes that's true too...doesn't hurt to ask
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 10-27-2012, 11:39 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad31late View Post
Hrmmm.....wanna trade for an E39?

Quote:

You kidding me? This is America, of course you can sue.

In all seriousness, you can likely recover tort damages. Personally, I don't think it's honorable, but You probably do have a case. Were I in your situation looking at a possible payoff, I can't say I would be worried about honor either though.

// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 AM
More than you can afford

Mein Auto: Elise<3
Found a parking garage at the military housing by base to stash my car. Only about 5 minutes from my apartment. It was hectic getting her there this morning though, as the area I live in is flooding real bad already. I should have brought her last night, but she's safely nestled in an inner corner on the third floor of a four story garage at this point, so I'm content.

I live in such a bad area for this storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't mind doing the work. As long as you give me enough cash for a zf trans and stuff, we're good

Oh yeah, I forgot you had a 328. My setup is a getrag. No worries, though. It's out of a 318 and wasn't abused as far as I know. Still works fine with an m52.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
Yeah man, absolutely. That'd be unreal.

'98 328i/'09 Tahoe LTZ
@los_tho
Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
So I just broke two of the little nozzle caps on my fuel injectors. How screwed am I?

Its the little cap part on the end, seems like just that part could be replaced but they don't list it individually. Pelican has rebuilt ones for $42 but that doesn't help me today. Time to call around...
The car does not need the little nozzles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Joey, Matt and CJ's 'rents....are you ready for Monday? Looks like your area is going to get nailed. We Boston'ers are likely going to get a typical Noreaster...but nothing compared to DC/NJ/NY...

Keep us posted, would you please?
I can't take a hurricane seriously that is named Sandy....lol.

Quote:
Deployment dates are finally announced...

January 14th to somewhere around the end of November.

Nothing like a good old eleven month deployment. Now I just need to figure out what to do with my car. Anyone in VA want to babysit?

EDIT: MA or almost anywhere in between will work as well.

I'm serious.
If your other plans fall through, I have plenty of storage here.

Quote:
This is inspiring, thank you.

I'll start pricing out the head gasket job and see what the total cost of the project would be. If I'm taking the motor apart that much, I'd be stupid not to put flanges on the headers, and fix some other stuff. I know a lot of local car people, and if I planned it I bet I could get a few people to help me tackle it. I can collect all the parts, and then plan a week to knock it out and get the head machined. I could ride with my roommate or take lauren's car to avoid a rental.

It almost seems easier to swap the motor... I wonder if I could ask around and try to turn up a sweet deal on an S50 or S52 engine with decent mileage. I could do a swap with some of my friends in a weekend. They've done 2 or 3 swaps and have the hoist and everything. Although if I go that route I can't throw in head studs to beef the motor up a little bit.

EDIT: I've already started shopping, does the ARP stud kit make it impossible to install the head in the car?
No, the ARP kit can be used at any time. You could even get another engine and put them in one at a time so you don't have to replace the HG.

Quote:
Found a parking garage at the military housing by base to stash my car. Only about 5 minutes from my apartment. It was hectic getting her there this morning though, as the area I live in is flooding real bad already. I should have brought her last night, but she's safely nestled in an inner corner on the third floor of a four story garage at this point, so I'm content.

I live in such a bad area for this storm.

Yeah man, absolutely. That'd be unreal.
Nice.

What's the scoop on the storm? Winds can't be that bad, and it's just rain right? I feel like everyone takes things too seriously, I love storms.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:15 AM
I6 feels good

Mein Auto: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Hrmmm.....wanna trade for an E39?

You kidding me? This is America, of course you can sue.

In all seriousness, you can likely recover tort damages. Personally, I don't think it's honorable, but You probably do have a case. Were I in your situation looking at a possible payoff, I can't say I would be worried about honor either though.

Hmmmmm... Interesting!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 AM
More than you can afford

Mein Auto: Elise<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post

If your other plans fall through, I have plenty of storage here.

Nice.

What's the scoop on the storm? Winds can't be that bad, and it's just rain right? I feel like everyone takes things too seriously, I love storms.
Oh yeah, you have that huge garage eh? I'll keep that option open as well if you wouldn't have a problem with it.

And yeah, apparently this storm is no joke. They're shutting down mass transit in like NJ an NYC and evacuating a ton of the East Coast as well. It's going to affect pretty far inland too, like PA and mid to upstate NY.

I'm good though, my car is now three stories up and my apartment is on stilts (built for flooding).

I've got a half a bottle of Wild Turkey, a bottle of Seagrams, four different types of beer in the fridge, and no work tomorrow. Bring it Sandy...

'98 328i/'09 Tahoe LTZ
@los_tho
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Bring it Sandy...
What, no hop to a carrier in the middle of the storm?

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 10-28-2012, 09:30 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
well it was not handled well by them at all either, the man that hit 2 males before I stopped him from hitting the female was not arrested or anything...one of the males hit was also taking to the hospital for his nose...and no one could press charges BC the security did not get police involved and let the man leave. I'm going to speak to attorney and see about getting my med bills paid, not get rich. Not to mention that the shoving that escalated into this issue took place for 15 minutes and security did not do anything at all.

You stand a pretty good chance of getting your medical bills paid, but it will be because it will be less expensive to do that than to fight your claim. Falls into the nuisance claim category....