Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Yeah it was on my lap. fell in to the trance of the tv until I wondered why my leg was so hot. She cooled down quickly though

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App

-Dino
Old 12-18-2012, 04:53 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
My friend has his desktop over clocked at 5ghz he runs liquid cooling, prior to seeing that i had never even heard of such things on computers. I don't know his specs but i know he's running two graphics cards and some other mumbo that makes the thing pretty much able to do whatever the hell he wants for the next 5 years, at which point he says he'll be able to double what he's running at now... What do you even need that kind of power for? Background on friend, he's an IT dude and has his own server in his house that about 5 of use as a music and movie dump... kind of like our own cloud that we dont pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Need Some Low

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
Christmas came early courtesy of Bimmerworld!!!

Freebies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0541.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	353743  

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
Christmas came early courtesy of Bimmerworld!!!

Freebies
AW DENG!! I want stuff... but I don't to have to pay for it ...anyone hear word on a Z3 rack anywheres?

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
My friend has his desktop over clocked at 5ghz he runs liquid cooling, prior to seeing that i had never even heard of such things on computers. I don't know his specs but i know he's running two graphics cards and some other mumbo that makes the thing pretty much able to do whatever the hell he wants for the next 5 years, at which point he says he'll be able to double what he's running at now... What do you even need that kind of power for? Background on friend, he's an IT dude and has his own server in his house that about 5 of use as a music and movie dump... kind of like our own cloud that we dont pay for.
Basically the same reason that car guys build cars that go fast. And yes, I'm one of those computer nerds, too.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Basically the same reason that car guys build cars that go fast. And yes, I'm one of those computer nerds, too.
Well played CJ...

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 PM
some kid

Yeah, not quite as hardcore as him because I don't like blowing money on PC parts, but I do have my own server.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
computers are the **** lol

My friend has a toshiba laptop with an i7 and that thing pumps out heat like no tomorrow

i fell off with computers so idk much about the i7 but windows see his 4 cores as 8?

hyperthreading? doesnt seem like the right term but thats all i can think of

my phone has dual core too

-Dino
Old 12-18-2012, 05:12 PM
some kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post

My friend has a toshiba laptop with an i7 and that thing pumps out heat like no tomorrow

i fell off with computers so idk much about the i7 but windows see his 4 cores as 8?

Hyperthreading is exactly what it is. Each core has two virtual cores (threads). So it shows up as 8 cores total.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, not quite as hardcore as him because I don't like blowing money on PC parts, but I do have my own server.
it's quite convenient for movie nights, we hook the TV up to the computer and bam 500gb of all of our movies on tap, no buffering. Or for trading music nearly instantly. only downside is that the sever weighs 80 pounds and I had to help carry it up two flights of stairs. It's pretty cool what you can do with a server actually. We brainstorm ridiculous ass sh!t to do with it almost every weekend. Last weekend he renamed the server website "kenisraginghomo dot com" it has since been changed

I'm still pretty technically challenged when it comes to computery stuff though. I can change my own RAM and HDD and make sure things are up to date and upgrade drivers. other than that I turn it on and it works and i'm fine with that.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
some kid

Quote:
it's quite convenient for movie nights, we hook the TV up to the computer and bam 500gb of all of our movies on tap, no buffering. Or for trading music nearly instantly. only downside is that the sever weighs 80 pounds and I had to help carry it up two flights of stairs. It's pretty cool what you can do with a server actually. We brainstorm ridiculous ass sh!t to do with it almost every weekend. Last weekend he renamed the server website "kenisraginghomo dot com" it has since been changed

I'm still pretty technically challenged when it comes to computery stuff though. I can change my own RAM and HDD and make sure things are up to date and upgrade drivers. other than that I turn it on and it works and i'm fine with that.
Honestly all you need to build a basic file/web server is an old dell box that everybody has in their attic, a necessarily large hard drive, and a linux distro installed.

That's what I'm running and I come nowhere near the load limits. I've hosted websites, large files, etc. I'm also almost constantly streaming music from it onto my laptop at school, as well.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:

LOL just how some people with their cars. as long as it goes vroom nothing matters

Quote:
Honestly all you need to build a basic file/web server is an old dell box that everybody has in their attic, a necessarily large hard drive, and a linux distro installed.

That's what I'm running and I come nowhere near the load limits. I've hosted websites, large files, etc. I'm also almost constantly streaming music from it onto my laptop at school, as well.
thats a good idea. your own personal cloud that you give no flying forks about of whats on there.

the closet to messing with a server was fooling around with cPanel for a hosting gig me and a friend had back when i was in like 8th grade

-Dino
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post

I haz quad core

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Old 12-18-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
I haz quad core

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
touche

you also have a non pocket friendly screen

but the note (judging by your bimmerapp sig) is a sick phone

-Dino
Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
Let me guess, a sandy bridge i5 or i7. I have built a few computers with the i5. I love the way those CUP's overclock. With water cooling I got all of them to 5ghz easy. I did not try to go over 5ghz because the people I was building the computers for were not very good with computers and I did not want to give them anything that I would have to fix later.
On my personal computer I have a water cooled AMD phenom II X6 1090T overclocked to 4Ghz, 3 ATI Radeon 5870's, 16 Gb of ram, 13 fans and my favorite part 4 96 Gb ssd's in RAID 0.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Need Some Low

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
Quote:
AW DENG!! I want stuff... but I don't to have to pay for it ...anyone hear word on a Z3 rack anywheres?
Any one of youz guyz could've had this stuff. I dont think anyone else here submitted an entry into the bimmerworld NASA 25 hours at Thunderhill/Infineon Chumpcar contest.

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM
some kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark11235 View Post
On my personal computer I have a water cooled AMD phenom II X6 1090T overclocked to 4Ghz, 3 ATI Radeon 5870's, 16 Gb of ram, 13 fans and my favorite part 4 96 Gb ssd's in RAID 0.
There's no way all of that read/write speed is usable. That's like having 1000 hp and 185 tires

Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark11235 View Post
Let me guess, a sandy bridge i5 or i7. I have built a few computers with the i5. I love the way those CUP's overclock. With water cooling I got all of them to 5ghz easy. I did not try to go over 5ghz because the people I was building the computers for were not very good with computers and I did not want to give them anything that I would have to fix later.
Quote:
There's no way all of that read/write speed is usable. That's like having 1000 hp and 185 tires
annnnnnnnnd you all lost me.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Yeah, it was a different time, that's for sure.
No windshield wipers, no turn signals, no power steering....sounds like the first vehicle I drove....

A 1970 Massey Ferguson tractor

Of course, I am old enough to remember when you turned on the high beams by pushing in a floor valve with your left foot....and you released the parking brake underneath the dash....

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
I was lost 15 posts ago...................

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
[QUOTE=SlimKlim;7257680] I think this link might let you play it, I don't know if you have to have spotify installed though: http://open.spotify.com/user/slimklim/playlist/2L0ZbrSBGhy2jyAM4n88G4

Joey....good start, but when is the party? I have several hundred Christmas mp3s on my desktop. Charlie Brown Christmas, Jazz, Rock, Blues, Classics (think Bing Crosby), Classical, the works. If you set me up an FTP site, I can upload them to you.....

Plus, you might want to throw in a few jokey Christmas songs....Grandma got run over by a Reindeer, the Hanukah Song. Straight No Chaser's Twelve Days of Christmas, etc.....

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"

Last edited by TechieTechie; 12-18-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
annnnnnnnnd you all lost me.
me too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
No windshield wipers, no turn signals, no power steering....sounds like the first vehicle I drove....

A 1970 Massey Ferguson tractor

Of course, I am old enough to remember when you turned on the high beams by pushing in a floor valve with your left foot....and you released the parking brake underneath the dash....

so yer sayin ya lernt tuh drive on a new tractor, huh??

lots of tractors still plowin that are older than that...

in other worlds, seems to be a *lot* of closed threads in poly-sci....

df
Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 PM

once you start getting into RAID levels im lost lol

i dont remember that far into my A+ class

any samsung users ever used kies air?

-Dino
Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 PM
nothing.

Mein Auto: 328xi
I can follow all the computer talk. but i dont have ANY reason for anything faster than my macbook pro.

It does what it has to do even when its running at 188* on the cpu.

have you too ever seen the 8.4ghz overclocked processor?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:24 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
in other worlds, seems to be a *lot* of closed threads in poly-sci....

df
I never go there. Gets my blood pressure up too easily.

Speaking of which.............I'm having some serious BP problems they haven't figured out yet. My optometrist caught it! She noticed some damage to my eyes caused by high BP and checked it.....175/96 I said no way, check it again....165/90. It's been 125-130/75-80 for years. I'd had a checkup just days before and it was 132/80.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Closed Thread