Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
How the f is 85,000 a small town? I grew up in a town with 8k. Now live in a town 18k. Lived in DC for 5 years 500k in DC.... I much prefer small town living.
My high school town had a population of 2100. Including cattle.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 PM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
My high school town had a population of 2100. Including cattle.
And 1,800 of that was cattle?? Right?

But that is a small town!
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:58 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
How the f is 85,000 a small town? I grew up in a town with 8k. Now live in a town 18k. Lived in DC for 5 years 500k in DC.... I much prefer small town living.
For James it's going to be more the difference between SOCAL and Kansas than it is between LA and McPherson or Wichita. From about Santa Clara to Mexico the only way you know you've left one city and entered another are the city limits signs. Kansas is the inverse, there's only a few population centers and the rest is open country.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:58 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
It's more than numbers.

I grew up in a town of 220k, and that was a small town atmosphere to me. Metro area 8 million people, snack in the middle of Silicon Valley and San Francisco. I've never lived anywhere where the city limits aren't bordered by other cities.

Here it's like an island. No city limits border Tracy. It's 25 minutes in any direction to any other measurable towns that aren't 10k population Podunks.

Tracy is a bedroom community. Actual statistics: over half the population leaves during the day and has over A 45 minute commute, like me. The SOLE reason the population is so big is that 3Br tract homes are 350K instead of 800K+ in the bay area. There are no real amenities here that a similar size town would have. It's all families with young kids that come to The Bay daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Roger! Just a wild guess. Even without a code set if the DME and EWS can't communicate with the OBC EWS invokes lockout. When you go to start the engine the EWS communicates with the OBC to see if the security code has been set. If it gets a no code message the start sequence continues, if no response, no start. This is so you can't bypass the OBC code by just yanking out the OBC.
I know. I wish it were that simple.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 01-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Playing devil's advocate here, my responses in red Like telling someone about being out in the wild for the first time, they're more scared of you than you are of them.
I appreciate the opinion. I'm kinda just blurting out my first impressions of what it'd be like.

If I'm stuck there in dorms or something with no place to work, I can guarentee I won't go to school there. That is my absolute, #1 priority. I need to work on my car (will double as a workshop for a small lighting company I want to start) and have a space to set up a small studio (product photography). I plan to do remote web and graphic design in addition to product photography so I need a space.

4 years seems like alot, but in retrospect, it's only 4 years. I'm 18, 19 by the time I get there. 23 by the time I get out with 9 years of professional photography experience, 6 years of graphic design experience, and a 4 year degree in automotive.

Onto the degree choice. I do love photography and I like to think that I'm decent at it, but it's not what I want my primary career focus to be. Truth is, I love photography and I love design. I want to go to school for Automotive Design (which I may end up doing) but I'm interested in not just drawing cars for the future, but also restore and even redesign older cars as well.

What are some of the biggest Pros and Cons you small town guys see?

Quote:
What makes you prefer it? Thoughts? Tips and tricks to surviving?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Was going to try smogging it this morning, I was all done with all the work I wanted to do. Hooked up the jumpers, turned the key, and......

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Car has plenty of voltage, all accessories work, I'm getting 13.8 with the cables connected, and NO drop when I turn the key. When I turn to run I hear the fuel pump run, but I get zilch when I turn to start.

Why is it one thing after another? Guess I'll have to check connections on the starter later this week and won't be smogging on the way out of town today.

Hey Chad. I haven't been lurking here for quite some time so I don't know what your E36 is, but I know that if this were a car for you to keep it would be 5 speed. I think I read that you plan to flip this one so I'm thinking that the tranny may not be a high priority to you.

Is it an auto transmission by any chance? Just throwing it out there that a fault in the neutral safety switch could cause the same symptoms as in your no-start situation. I'm sure you already know this, but hadn't seen it mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 PM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
What makes you prefer it? Thoughts? Tips and tricks to surviving?
Tips or tricks... That's hard to say. I like living in a small town/area because things are quieter, a bit slower, and sometimes boring. However, I'm at a different place in life. I'm 27, have a 1 month old and married for 4 years.
Back when I was in college, I started out going to Saint Joseph's college of Maine in the middle of nowhere (standish Maine). I was bored and moved to DC. Loved it!
But found that people in the area where a bit rude, always in a rush, and full of politics. Not only US politics, but stupid stuff too.
I enjoyed going out, and finding a new restaurant. But after a white, I grew to miss living in a small area. As chad said, a bedroom community.
I like going to the store and seeing Rick, the seafood manager, generally see the same cashier and seeing my neighbors.

I guess my biggest tip to a small town/area, fully embrace it. Go to town events, get to know people...
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
besides, ya can't vote for the corn queen in la, or go cow tippin'....or wear flannel and overalls with a straw hat, now can ya??

there's lots tuh dooh, an yuh kin gichersaylf sum pop at thuh piggly-wiggly an a moohn piah tuh go widdit!!

:insert flannel dancing banana here:

df
Old 01-01-2013, 04:59 PM
I like pie.

Mein Auto: 96 318ti, 93 BMW 325IS
My home "town" (post office that sometimes has a general store attached) where I've lived my whole life has 90 some residents, the closest real town is 15 miles away and has about 7000, the whole county has less than 20k. I thought I was in the big city when I was at school in a town of about 16000.

I can't imagine living anywhere where Carhartts and flannel weren't considered to be acceptable attire at the nicest restaurant in town

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_trail View Post

I can't imagine living anywhere where Carhartts and flannel weren't considered to be acceptable attire at the nicest restaurant in town

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
I promised myself I'd at least visit and give it a chance. Who knows, I might find it really nice! (Maybe a nice lady to bring home to meet the parents!)

I'll start looking at real estate over there and start laying out a game plan. I'm really looking forward to having a workspace. That's one thing I want so bad over here, but it's next to impossible.

What's some of the things you guys really enjoy about small towns?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
For Ken:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1937559

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
nothing.

Mein Auto: A dream
there are nice people out there? damn!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
For Ken:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1937559

thanks man, im currently going through his build thread to see why he's selling everything after 2.5k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
What's some of the things you guys really enjoy about small towns?
The very things Chad and some of the other big-city guys hate. Small town= little hassle from police as long as you're not totally nuts. I don't need five star restaurants. I don't need theaters and culture centers just blocks away. I LIKE being in the country. I can walk out my back door and target practice on my own land. I can park a bunch of BMW project cars in my yard and not bring down the wrath of some self-appointed "county beautification patrol". If wearing flannel or a Tee and jeans and a ball cap with the brim properly curled with my ears on the OUTSIDE of the cap make me a redneck, so be it. I wear a suit for three things: weddings, funerals and graduations.

I could go on and on, but there's nothing wrong with living in the country. It's a much more laid back lifestyle. There's nothing wrong with living in the big city, it's just not for me. I do know there are more people moving TO the country than there are moving to the cities. Our county population has doubled in less than 20 years. Baldwin Co. Alabama used to be farms, timber and a little industry. Now it's golf courses, sod farms and subdivisions.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Needs Boost

Quote:
The very things Chad and some of the other big-city guys hate. Small town= little hassle from police as long as you're not totally nuts. I don't need five star restaurants. I don't need theaters and culture centers just blocks away. I LIKE being in the country. I can walk out my back door and target practice on my own land. I can park a bunch of BMW project cars in my yard and not bring down the wrath of some self-appointed "county beautification patrol". If wearing flannel or a Tee and jeans and a ball cap with the brim properly curled with my ears on the OUTSIDE of the cap make me a redneck, so be it. I wear a suit for three things: weddings, funerals and graduations.

I could go on and on, but there's nothing wrong with living in the country. It's a much more laid back lifestyle. There's nothing wrong with living in the big city, it's just not for me. I do know there are more people moving TO the country than there are moving to the cities. Our county population has doubled in less than 20 years. Baldwin Co. Alabama used to be farms, timber and a little industry. Now it's golf courses, sod farms and subdivisions.
This

Old 01-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Need Some Low

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
^+1

And if you're like ken, you can still enjoy the benefits of fancy technology, like using a smartphone to pay for e36 calendars

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 01-01-2013, 06:31 PM
nothing.

Mein Auto: A dream
quietness.

go to the country on a backroad. park and listen.

nothingness. its awesome.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
Quote:
Ok, I have a serious question guys. There is this school I really want to go to, there is only a few like it in the US and this is the BEST school for this (automotive restoration, with minors in business and communication with emphasis on automotive restoration) The only problem (or so called "problem") is that it is in Kansas. McPherson, Kansas to be specific. Any thoughts? It's a scary thought going from a huge place like LA to a town that is a 1/8th of the size of my current CITY.
James, you're considering McPherson College (did some googling), right?

I like that it's a fully accredited Liberal Arts school...because it's my experience that the major you start with is often not the one you end up with. And a liberal arts education generally gives a well rounded education...so good for you!

The hardest part is likely not going to be the size of the town, but the fact that at 600 people, the college is going to be like one big class. Not that this is at all bad. This is the time of your life that you should take chances, push boundaries. And, living in a small town can be fun too...you just have to be more creative (I did my share of cow tipping, late night skinny dipping in local lakes, and road trips when I lived in small towns).

Have you visited the town/campus yet? If not, I absolutely think you should. If there are difficulties with this ($$$), suggest asking the admissions office to speak to some students from big cities (Chicago, NY, LA, etc) to get their perspective. They will likely be able to help you understand the adjustment and make you feel more comfortable with the decision.

My college was set in a town of 10k people, 3.5k which were students. Yes, the group is correct in that it will be an adjustment when you want a burger at 11pm (McD's and the IGA likely close at 9) but in a college town, you will learn to make your own life within the college community, apart from the town. And you will learn to adjust, it may take a semester or two, but likely you will adjust. And, living in different areas give you a much greater perspective of and appreciation for your current 'worldview'.

And, remember, if you truly hate it and can't stick it out, you can leave and/or transfer....students do it all the time. And most likely, since it's an accredited university, your liberal arts credits should transfer.

Good luck and keep us posted!

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"

Last edited by TechieTechie; 01-01-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post
quietness.

go to the country on a backroad. park and listen.

nothingness. its awesome.
Expect at night in the summer. The crickets are so damn loud and I am not joking. I remember one night I had to get some form a car parked outside. So I go in to the garage and I can hear the crickets but it is not too bad, only about a busy street loud. So I open the garage door and I am hit with a wall of sound. It sounded like someone was using a cricket powered jet engine outside.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 PM
I6 feels good

Mein Auto: POS
Happy New Year fellas!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 PM
I Am The Machine

Just got back from the range.

Ignore the outliers

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1357097407597.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	355553

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Hey Chad. I haven't been lurking here for quite some time so I don't know what your E36 is, but I know that if this were a car for you to keep it would be 5 speed. I think I read that you plan to flip this one so I'm thinking that the tranny may not be a high priority to you.

Is it an auto transmission by any chance? Just throwing it out there that a fault in the neutral safety switch could cause the same symptoms as in your no-start situation. I'm sure you already know this, but hadn't seen it mentioned.
Manual, but that's a good point.....it could be the clutch switch.
I think that would have the same symptoms...

Quote:

There's just a lot more to do in the city, and while James may end up loving it, for someone who's grown up similar to me he may also hate it. I visited a small engineering school in Longview, Texas and found the town awful.

It depends a lot on the town and location too. Different areas offer different opportunities. If I were in a small town close to boating water and off roading and decent golfing and good food selection I could survive.

It also depends how busy you are.....I'm typically leaving the house with the sunrise and back long after its dark so nightly activities have become totally unimportant but being able to play hard on the weekends is.

But yeah, drinks on the 40th floor looking over the lights on the Bay, taking your girlfriend to the symphony, Michelin rated dinners, concerts with friends at Shoreline or wherever you SoCal people go, decent restaurant variety, clubs, and most else all disappear. You'll probably have more outdoor actives and should at least get good steak in Kansas though.

Get ready for snow and humidity though.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Needs Boost

People say there is nothing to do in small towns, that's entirely false. Everywhere you go in this world will have it's own unique attractions and will all have more than enough things to do. Peeps just think because there aren't 20 dance clubs within an hour that small towns are boring.

Where I live I have:

MORE than enough restaurants and bars, there are clubs close enough as well
TONS of open land, mountains, lakes to go to, ATV riding, mountain biking, trike drifting, etc.
Like Ken said, I can go outside and shoot my guns, do burnouts, build a huge fort, have a bon fire, and not have to worry about anyone complaining. A few years ago we had a get together here on Independence day and the fireworks show was almost as good as the one in town lol.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
thanks man, im currently going through his build thread to see why he's selling everything after 2.5k miles
that's what i was wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad31late View Post
Happy New Year fellas!!!
just now getting up, are we??

and chad, wadja use??

i agree with what jen said irt the school. best to check it out and see what's what there. talk to people who went there, if possible, as even (if you can find them) those that left. was it because of the small town-ness?? or othe reason??

df
Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 PM
I Am The Machine

Build a fort? Are we 12, Matt?

Df, Beretta 92FS.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:

Get ready for snow and humidity though.

Actually that area doesn't get much snow and the humidity is moderate, but it does get 3 digits hot in the summer (ask me how I know). Cessna, and Beech both have their development centers in Wichita and Piper used to be located there because that area of the U.S has the greatest number of clear weather flying days per year on average.
If one wanted to learn to fly, there are literally dozens of small airports in the area of Kansas to choose from.