Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Yup, it actually really is a suspension of titanium particles according to their website. Someone tried to use that on my grandpa's Lexus and he refused and called me, was the first I'd heard of it avkut 7 months ago.

Sounds absolutely terrifying introducing metal particles into the lubricant......

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp
So what do you think the lithium is in lithium grease and the molybdenum in "moly" lubes is?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
What the!!!!!! it had a slow leak. Didn't notice till going 40mph and it came off the bead. Fcuk! Now I have three useless wheels and a heavy paperweight..

I guess it's time to refinish all 4! I've been waiting for an excuse to do so. I guess it's finally time.

Is this wheel salvageable? Also, how did this happen? Looks like the sidewall blew out. I don't do any kind of extreme driving at all... Is the tire manufacture at fault?

Last edited by Shigeta; 01-05-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 PM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
althought it is rather difficult to beat an actual mexico taco... that's why the best ones i have had around here are from chefs that actually *are* mexican. the southwest does have a special place in my heart, though.

would have been *so* much more intersting written as:

ed lost his least to canada and is looking to defect. since russia is too far away, we're looking to smuggle him in with the next canadian hockey team away game....looks like we'll be waiting a bit longer, eh??

chad wonders why not russia, since the vodka there is so much better than those trendy ice houses in la. he also wants to go live in the financial district on va, cause that is "where da moniez be, yo". he already has baller status started wit da e38, fo shizzle.

jen's dr apparently was late for tee time, but will be much nicer on the next visit. so says a friend of a friend of a guy i knowz...

randy has apparently learned how to text and download all sorts of apps to daddies new phones, which is why they must be 'breaking' all of the time...we all know it's because five of patricks nine accounts have been depleated, and the kid is slowly hacking past daddies firewalls to get to the rest of the cash. he's thinking of changing banks.

frankly's roomies gf apparently doesn't have any food in *her* house, and his roomie is too porr to take her out to a real restaurant, so she is relegated to consuming butter. she's most likely got high colesterol, and isn't very bright because she put the coffe into the butter container in hopes of fooling the next person who makes toast.

jen's secret santa must have waited until after christmas to buy her a gift. probably because he really *wasn't* her secret santa, but rather some psychotic obsessed fanatic who sent a detailed letter explaining why she would enjoy the lotion and the basket it came in...complete with a contact number from a burn phone.

now, tell me, wouldn't *that* make a great story??? e30 section eat your hearts out!!

df
:

Like still
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Old Soul

Oops forgot pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1357368875.458204.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	356021  

Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 PM
still learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
Oops forgot pic
Ouch...

Peoplez be stupid sometimez.

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:05 AM
Old Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
Ouch...

Peoplez be stupid sometimez.
Did some more investigating and it seems it was not slashed, but it looks like the tire ripped itself apart... -___-

Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Was it stretched? Maybe not, but that's exactly the kind of self-destruction a stretched tire does to itself. The tires were never intended on carrying their rated load with the sidewall cocked at a 45* angle.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Old Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Was it stretched? Maybe not, but that's exactly the kind of self-destruction a stretched tire does to itself. The tires were never intended on carrying their rated load with the sidewall cocked at a 45* angle.
Can I show up to America's Tire and demand new tires + my rim fixed. Similar thing happened to my dad on his '71 Chevelle and they ended up paying almost $1000 to find him a new wheel since his set was original and ultra rare.

If stretching them voided any kind of warranty or compromised any ratings, they sure as hell didn't tell me and I honestly never thought of it... I had a friend look at it and he said there is a shelf life to tires and to look for a manufacture date. Mine said "5211" which means 52'nd week of 2011 (1st week of 2012) and I just got my tires less than two months ago and they should have been off the shelves and recycled by then.

I feel I got jipped MAJOR and compromised my safety.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
I agree with Ken, that looks like a side wall failure due to the stretch. If somebody was going to slash your tire they probably wouldn't go to the trouble of slashing the inside side wall. It can't hurt to go back to the tire place and ask for replacement and rim repair. Did they offer road hazard coverage when you bought and did you buy that add on? If so I think there's a good chance they'll make you well, if not they might still but it less certain.
What was the tire brand?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
did you get road hazard insurance with the tires??

if there is any black powdery stuff along the inside then chances are you are out of luck, as this indicates the tire has been overheated, most likely due to underinflation.

unfortunately people think that when a tire fails it was due to some sort of defect. having been in the industry and working with tires for many years, i can count on one hand the number of tires that failed due to an actual defect and mmany of them were all found *before* the tire was removed from the tire machine while the tire was being inflated.

not that there weren't defects that showed up later, like goodyear aquatreads (tread splitting @ the shoulder), which we replaced under warranty as 'defective', but i never saw one fail due to said defect.

stretching a tire will place added stresses on the sidewall a well, which could be a factor that contributed to failure as well.

as far as the date on the tires, i am not aware of any 'use by' date on the tires. the date is part of the dot numbers stamped on the sidewall of each tire. this is for identifiaction purposes and when a roadhazard claim was made these numbers had to match up with what was recorded as sold to the customer. the manufacturer would also use this information and compile data to track common fault claims to see if there actually *was* something wrong with the tire.

other than that, you can try stating your case, but i am on the skeptical side.

df
Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
Quote:
althought it is rather difficult to beat an actual mexico taco... that's why the best ones i have had around here are from chefs that actually *are* mexican. the southwest does have a special place in my heart, though.

would have been *so* much more intersting written as:

ed lost his least to canada and is looking to defect. since russia is too far away, we're looking to smuggle him in with the next canadian hockey team away game....looks like we'll be waiting a bit longer, eh??

chad wonders why not russia, since the vodka there is so much better than those trendy ice houses in la. he also wants to go live in the financial district on va, cause that is "where da moniez be, yo". he already has baller status started wit da e38, fo shizzle.

jen's dr apparently was late for tee time, but will be much nicer on the next visit. so says a friend of a friend of a guy i knowz...

randy has apparently learned how to text and download all sorts of apps to daddies new phones, which is why they must be 'breaking' all of the time...we all know it's because five of patricks nine accounts have been depleated, and the kid is slowly hacking past daddies firewalls to get to the rest of the cash. he's thinking of changing banks.

frankly's roomies gf apparently doesn't have any food in *her* house, and his roomie is too porr to take her out to a real restaurant, so she is relegated to consuming butter. she's most likely got high colesterol, and isn't very bright because she put the coffe into the butter container in hopes of fooling the next person who makes toast.

jen's secret santa must have waited until after christmas to buy her a gift. probably because he really *wasn't* her secret santa, but rather some psychotic obsessed fanatic who sent a detailed letter explaining why she would enjoy the lotion and the basket it came in...complete with a contact number from a burn phone.

now, tell me, wouldn't *that* make a great story??? e30 section eat your hearts out!!

df

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"
Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
that tire ....

Just checked my oil cause it hasnt been done since a couple days before bfe

and its still at the in the halfway range from where i left it

No leaks or burns for as many times that things sees redline

Rotella T6 FTMFW!

-Dino
Old 01-05-2013, 08:23 AM
still learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
that tire ....

Just checked my oil cause it hasnt been done since a couple days before bfe

and its still at the in the halfway range from where i left it

No leaks or burns for as many times that things sees redline

Rotella T6 FTMFW!
Huh. That's great!

I should switch....

But I'm using BMW oil.

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)

Last edited by TheFinanceGuy; 01-05-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 AM
I like pie.

Mein Auto: 96 318ti, 93 BMW 325IS
Mobil 1 Synthetic for the Bimmer, Supertech diesel oil for the F250.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
I'm thinking of going to Rotella in my engine just to see how it likes it. i had the best results with royal purple 10-40, im running Mob1 and i havent noticed a difference but it did consume some of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 AM
still learnin'

My list of items to repair keeps growing.
I think I'm going to start ordering parts each month. Whatever I can get for $250 each month, that's what will get fixed first.

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
Karl and Patrick...

I have a non car question. IIRC, are you both of German descent? If so, I have a question to ask you. And, for anyone else who can help :-)

I have a German national working for me right now. Although he does excellent work, his communication style, particularly when he doesn't want to do something, can be very abrasive. He'll email documents with no note, delay doing things until he has 100% clarity (sometimes hard when we are all juggling 100 tasks), and be condensing in emails...even to me. And more. He's been in the states around 10 years and is not a junior employee. He's got 10+ years of direct technical experience and is a manager (responsible for day-to-day running of project and people management) in our practice.

As a typical American (and as a company), I'm all about the open communication and real time coaching. And, in consulting, how we do things is as important as what we do. To this end, I've scheduled weekly meetings with each of my staff to discuss their progress and to discuss any coaching points..so that when they have their annual review, there are no surprises. This last meeting with this resource (unfortunately over the phone due to the holiday), I tried to talk this person about my concerns. But he kept focusing on the 'output' rather than how he does (and is perceived when completing) the output. Then he went waaaay overboard, even suggesting he should be taken off my portion of the project (he's doing 2 portions of the project right now, one for me, one for another director...and I don't think he likes to split time this way)...hence the pushback. And in other one-on-one meetings, I can tell he is displeased, but he sometimes holds back and doesn't talk about what is on his mind...

He's had similiar 'soft' issues with other directors on the project (Director even joked with this employee that it felt like 'we all work for XXX' instead of the other way around)...he's been pulled off 1 portion of the project because of his communication issues, and in another, a junior US resource was assigned to review his emails to ensure they were the appropriate style and tone.

The rub is, though, that the quality of his deliverables is excellent. When coaching him, I'm trying to be culturally sensitive and collaborative here, but I can't tell how much of his working style is from his cultural perspective/upbringing and how much of it is his own working style. Regardless, it needs to get addressed, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to communicate with him (given his experience/background) so that he understands what we expect and to help him improve. I've tried to reassure him that the deliverable quality is not the issues here, inject a bit of humor in the discussions and have decided to have all future meetings with him in person, but not sure that's going to get the job done.

I tend not to be a 'you must do XXX' leader, my style, particularly with managers and above, is generally a bit more collaborative "let's think about this together' or 'what are your thoughts'. On this engagement, I have 4 people doing the same job (for different business areas) and the deliverable and workplan is always evolving (due to the nature of this engagement) so on the deliverable, I am being very precise in my directions. But in the coaching discussions, I am reverting back to my fallback communication style (which most of the time, works great). However, I now wonder if this indirect approach isn't what someone with a lifetime of German experience appreciates or understands or responds to....

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"

Last edited by TechieTechie; 01-05-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
not feeling motivated today...

df
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Need Some Low

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
Quote:
not feeling motivated today...

df
get to work!

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
I'm thinking of going to Rotella in my engine just to see how it likes it. i had the best results with royal purple 10-40, im running Mob1 and i havent noticed a difference but it did consume some of it.
plays nice with the m52. been running it my sisters car for a while now. started to clean the sludge up from the P/Os dino oil

also shuts up the vanos too

df, no slacking :nono

time to hit the road to see the ol'buddy Pat

-Dino
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
I had a friend look at it and he said there is a shelf life to tires and to look for a manufacture date. Mine said "5211" which means 52'nd week of 2011 (1st week of 2012) and I just got my tires less than two months ago and they should have been off the shelves and recycled by then.

I feel I got jipped MAJOR and compromised my safety.
That's not a use-by date. That's the manufacture date. Your tires were mere infants, less than a year old when you bought them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

The tire shops around here will either refuse to install a tire that is too small for the rim width (stretched) or make you sign a waiver to absolve them of responsibility for tire failure due to the tire being compromised from the configuration. I am very surprised a nationwide outfit like America's Tire doesn't have a similar policy. Did you sign anything except the receipt when you bought them? Might pay to check your paperwork.

By the way, 5211 is the LAST week in 2011, not the first week of 2012. 52 weeks=1 year
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Last edited by hornhospital; 01-05-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I have some input that may help. I'm out running errands so I will get back to this tonight or tomorrow when I'm not trying to type on an iPhone. But I worked for a German shipping company for 3 years and we always had at least one German national in our office. We had similar issues with one of them.

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad31late View Post
Kind of don't want to throw 600+ on new suspension, want to buy a fairly used ones.... ~450... is this possible?
Brad, here's a set of Bilstein Sport struts & shocks with 30k miles on them for $120. Not sure if this guy would be willing to ship, but maybe it's worth a try. That's pretty insanely cheap, and Bilsteins last forever.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/3523404796.html

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 AM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Yeah, that's a pretty great price.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Old Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
That's not a use-by date. That's the manufacture date. Your tires were mere infants, less than a year old when you bought them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

The tire shops around here will either refuse to install a tire that is too small for the rim width (stretched) or make you sign a waiver to absolve them of responsibility for tire failure due to the tire being compromised from the configuration. I am very surprised a nationwide outfit like America's Tire doesn't have a similar policy. Did you sign anything except the receipt when you bought them? Might pay to check your paperwork.

By the way, 5211 is the LAST week in 2011, not the first week of 2012. 52 weeks=1 year
Interesting.. Would it be outlandish for me to ask them to replace all tires? I can't have my car down like this and I'm lucky I had a buddy in the area with a spare 5x120 and jack. I honestly don't feel confident driving around on these tires any longer.

They were the cheap tires when I bought them, and I understood that. The are GT Radials that are temporary tires till I would restore the wheels and pick up nicer rubber, but the fact remains that there is less than 2000 miles on them and have been at a constant pressure (32-35psi) every weekend when I wash my car.

Here are the pics

Ruh Roo.. I don't see how these "overheated" though. Like I said, I keep them at regular pressure and I don't drive hard. In fact, I drive like a grandma and I'm only lowered 1.5 inches or so

Closed Thread