Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Come to our world Chad! Join the iPhone cult!
Sent from my iPhone

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead& e36, sometimes
guys. i already got an email back from Turner. They say their only concern is with my BMW experience. " Ken,

Thank you for inquiring about the sales position that we have available. After reviewing your resume, my only concern would be your BMW experience. Our customers are very knowledgeable and ask some pretty involved questions. I just want to make sure you would be able to be on the same page. Please let me know what your experience with BMW's has been. I look forward to hearing from you. "

crap. at this point I don't think i'll get it due to my "limited" knowledge. To them wrenching on my own E36 and staying up to date through the forums probably wont mean anything. What should I tell him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
  • '96 328i 5MT "drift turd"
Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
crap. at this point I don't think i'll get it due to my "limited" knowledge. To them wrenching on my own E36 and staying up to date through the forums probably wont mean anything. What should I tell him?
Dude whatever, I can't think of a better way to learn about the cars other than wrenching on them yourself. I bet you know a hell of a lot more than you give yourself credit for. I'd send them a reply explaining that you're a DIY enthuisiast of X years, give a run down of the projects you've done, # of bimmerfests you've gone to etc. Then I'd ask them exactly what sort of BMW knowledge they are looking for.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Need Some Low

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
Don't discredit yourself! Enthusiasm and willingness to learn will take you a long way. You may not be a BMW certified tech, but you've got a lot of knowledge and experience with bmws.

You may not know as much as elder ken, but you're still a ken!

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Dude whatever, I can't think of a better way to learn about the cars other than wrenching on them yourself. I bet you know a hell of a lot more than you give yourself credit for. I'd send them a reply explaining that you're a DIY enthuisiast of X years, give a run down of the projects you've done, # of bimmerfests you've gone to etc. Then I'd ask them exactly what sort of BMW knowledge they are looking for.
I think i'll tell them something along the lines of:
I have owned multiple BMWs and do all my own work to them, and I stay up to date with all the latest models via online forums and networking. I've attending the East Coast Bimmerfest meets, and installed many of Turner's own products on friends cars and mine alike. I'm fluent with most of the model designations and engine codes, as well as much of the terminology such as in the traction,stability, and braking control modules,suspension components, and take a great personal amount of interest in the brand and it's many different models. I'm constantly learning more about BMWs every day and will continue to strive to know as much about them as I can to answer every possible question thrown my way.

tweaks? critique?

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Ask for the interview. Especially for a sales position, show that you can close.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM

oof looking up apartments in and around amesbury... 995/mo for a 1br with heat and not much else.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
I think i'll tell them something along the lines of:
I have owned multiple BMWs and do all my own work to them, and I stay up to date with all the latest models via online forums and networking. I've attending the East Coast Bimmerfest meets, and installed many of Turner's own products on friends cars and mine alike. I'm fluent with most of the model designations and engine codes, as well as much of the terminology such as in the traction,stability, and braking control modules,suspension components, and take a great personal amount of interest in the brand and it's many different models. I'm constantly learning more about BMWs every day and will continue to strive to know as much about them as I can to answer every possible question thrown my way.

tweaks? critique?
Kenny, they're looking for objective details on how much you know about BMWs. While what you've written shows enthusiasm for the brand, the only answer you provided to the specific question is a non-specific "owned multiple BMWs". I would try to put together a listing of all of the models you've ever touched and what you've done on/with them both from a fixing and a driving standpoint. If you can put together a list that covers a reasonable amount of detail you've got a shot at this, if you can't then their one concern is valid and you know what you need to work on if you want to get that job.
Just my $.02 worth.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
wonder what turner pays.
Patrick ///99 540iA///BMWCCA#465139

98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Kenny, they're looking for objective details on how much you know about BMWs. While what you've written shows enthusiasm for the brand, the only answer you provided to the specific question is a non-specific "owned multiple BMWs". I would try to put together a listing of all of the models you've ever touched and what you've done on/with them both from a fixing and a driving standpoint. If you can put together a list that covers a reasonable amount of detail you've got a shot at this, if you can't then their one concern is valid and you know what you need to work on if you want to get that job.
Just my $.02 worth.
ah here's what I was looking for. so i should mention that i have hands on with E36s, i've had some experience working on the E46 chassis, and that I've driven some of the X series models? while supplementing with some of the relevant info i wrote.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
wonder what turner pays.
no clue but out of the three positions available only of them listed a pay rate, and I'm not going to bring that up until it gets serious. but they did state in the job ad that they have health, dental, and 401k

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
ah here's what I was looking for. so i should mention that i have hands on with E36s, i've had some experience working on the E46 chassis, and that I've driven some of the X series models? while supplementing with some of the relevant info i wrote.
Yes, if you get an interview to "close the deal" you're going to have to convince them you've got enough breadth at the start that they can put you in front of customers without you having to keep saying "hang on a minute and I'll get you an answer on that" until you have enough time to assimilate a more robust knowledge base.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, if you get an interview to "close the deal" you're going to have to convince them you've got enough breadth at the start that they can put you in front of customers without you having to keep saying "hang on a minute and I'll get you an answer on that" until you have enough time to assimilate a more robust knowledge base.
I think if I try and memorize whch years belong to which chassis code, i'd be good as far as thats concerned i know almost all the 3 series. and a few of the other models i'm kind of hazy on but i can make a cheat sheet, i don't think many people have them ALL memorized... besides the guy with his name on the building.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 PM

alright, rough draft.

Thanks for emailing back so soon. My own experience with BMW has been through working on used cars and as an enthusiast working on my own E36. I have worked on BMWs owned by friends and Family. I am very well versed in nearly all things E36 related as my last two BMWs have been and are E36s, and I have installed many Turner parts on them too. I have done suspension, brakes, tune ups, and alignments on the E46 chassis, and done some limited maintenance and repair on some of the E83 X series models. I've been behind the wheel of many different 3 series, stock and modified. I'm am pretty fluent in most of the current and past chassis and engine codes, and continue to stay up to date with them through forums and networking.I'm also familiar with much of the terminology such as the traction/stability/and braking control modules. I attended the last Bimmerfest East meet and was able to meet many owners of the newest models and learn a fair bit about the new F30 from being part of the Turner caravan. I'm always learning more about BMWs every day and will continue to strive to know as much as I can so that I may answer any question thrown my way.

is it awful? This is really the extent of my hands on BMW experience. if it's not enough it's not enough.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
alright, rough draft.

Thanks for emailing back so soon. My own experience with BMW has been through working on used cars and as an enthusiast working on my own E36. I have worked on BMWs owned by friends and Family. I am very well versed in nearly all things E36 related as my last two BMWs have been and are E36s, and I have installed many Turner parts on them too. I have done suspension, brakes, tune ups, and alignments on the E46 chassis, and done some limited maintenance and repair on some of the E83 X series models. I've been behind the wheel of many different 3 series, stock and modified. I'm am pretty fluent in most of the current and past chassis and engine codes, and continue to stay up to date with them through forums and networking.I'm also familiar with much of the terminology such as the traction/stability/and braking control modules. I attended the last Bimmerfest East meet and was able to meet many owners of the newest models and learn a fair bit about the new F30 from being part of the Turner caravan. I'm always learning more about BMWs every day and will continue to strive to know as much as I can so that I may answer any question thrown my way.

is it awful? This is really the extent of my hands on BMW experience. if it's not enough it's not enough.
Not awful. If you were sitting down in front of me for the interview here's the questions I'd be asking you based on what you wrote:

- What BMWs owned by friends and family? What models, what did you do on them?

- What Turner parts did you install?

- What mods have you done to your car? Why?

- What mods have you done on other peoples cars? Why?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
I know all of the codes from the 80s to present. It's called being an enthusiast.

Just go in there and tell them what you know and how. It's on them to see if they can use you or not. With anything, there's some growing room in the first few weeks. They can't expect to find the perfect candidate that knows everything all the time.

And under 1k/month is ghettoville out here...

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Not awful. If you were sitting down in front of me for the interview here's the questions I'd be asking you based on what you wrote:

- What BMWs owned by friends and family? What models, what did you do on them?

- What Turner parts did you install?

- What mods have you done to your car? Why?

- What mods have you done on other peoples cars? Why?
okay, i supposed i could elaborate on those points.

Thanks Don, you are DA MAN.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
okay, i supposed i could elaborate on those points.

Thanks Don, you are DA MAN.
Just trying to help get us 'Festers that Turner employee discount.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
And under 1k/month is ghettoville out here...
This....if you can even find anything.

My manager is paying 700/mo to live in what's basically a 250 sqft glorified shed in someones backyard.that the owner built himself........in Hayward.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 01-18-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Just trying to help get us 'Festers that Turner employee discount.
yeah, wouldn't that be nice. I'd like that Turner Employee paycheck... and possibly other perks.... like attending races.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

LOL hayward.

Hayward hills would be nice.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Ken,

Typo; thorough, not through.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM

The newly edited and supplemented follow up has been submitted. lets hope I get a chance to seal the deal.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
LOL hayward.

Hayward hills would be nice.
Hayward hills are ok, but I'd rather be in Fremont hills in the Mission area. Hwd hills are a little too isolated from everything. Or any of the hills along the 680 corridor.

But she's down in the flatlands off Tennyson.

Good luck Ken!

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Is she single? I have room for one more

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread