Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 AM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
So I have been trying to work from home 2 days a week for the past month, with supervisor approval, and I have to say, this is great!

I think I get more done, in less time. I don't have to drive an hour to work, thus creating 2 more works in my life on day, or 4 in a week. And I'm saving about $15 a week in gas for the two days. Not to mention not putting the 80 miles on my car.

Down side.... My wife thinks I am home, and am able to do things. Like take the trash out, help with the baby more often, or will ask to go run an errand and can I watch the baby while shes sleeping. This baby wakes up as soon as she leaves the house. I swear!
So, I'm in my make shift office (she took hers back, as she works from home full time) today, which is better known as the basement. Its COLD down here. I had to turn the space heater on. I guess since its been 0 outside the past few days.

alright, back to work- because, you know, I'm working from home...
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
So I have been trying to work from home 2 days a week for the past month, with supervisor approval, and I have to say, this is great!

I think I get more done, in less time. I don't have to drive an hour to work, thus creating 2 more works in my life on day, or 4 in a week. And I'm saving about $15 a week in gas for the two days. Not to mention not putting the 80 miles on my car.

Down side.... My wife thinks I am home, and am able to do things. Like take the trash out, help with the baby more often, or will ask to go run an errand and can I watch the baby while shes sleeping. This baby wakes up as soon as she leaves the house. I swear!
So, I'm in my make shift office (she took hers back, as she works from home full time) today, which is better known as the basement. Its COLD down here. I had to turn the space heater on. I guess since its been 0 outside the past few days.

alright, back to work- because, you know, I'm working from home...
My brother-in-law works from home 3 days a week typically and he has resorted to locking himself in his office. He had all the same problems and eventually dropped to two days at home.

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM
still learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
My brother-in-law works from home 3 days a week typically and he has resorted to locking himself in his office. He had all the same problems and eventually dropped to two days at home.
My sister-in-law is coming end of February with her boyfriend. I think while they are here, I'll have long days in the office...

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
My sister-in-law is coming end of February with her boyfriend. I think while they are here, I'll have long days in the office...

Mine live 10 miles away. Can't pull that off with them. They are the reason I am moving furniture tomorrow instead of doing a compression test. When my father-in-law comes I work a lot. Intentionally. It's a shame though because I love my mother-in-law. She's a trip.

Edit: What's the knock against the Bosch OEM plugs? I know everyone prefers the NGK but is there a performance issue with the Bosch plug?

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:

Last edited by SCJon; 01-25-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 AM
still learnin'

I have nothing against my wifes family. Her father fully supports my BMW habit, in fact, he has one himself. He's got an X1, and 316, both diesel.

Sister-in-law is coming over from Germany to watch the baby for 2 weeks while my wife has a small surgery. So, its helpful, but she can be, well, you know...

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Oh yeah I know what you mean. That's how the father in law is. For me and my brother in law. We take shifts dealing with it.

Quote:
Old 01-25-2013, 08:06 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:

Mine live 10 miles away. Can't pull that off with them. They are the reason I am moving furniture tomorrow instead of doing a compression test. When my father-in-law comes I work a lot. Intentionally. It's a shame though because I love my mother-in-law. She's a trip.

Edit: What's the knock against the Bosch OEM plugs? I know everyone prefers the NGK but is there a performance issue with the Bosch plug?
I tried a set just as an experiment and the butt dyno recorded a palpable difference in off idle response between the Bosch and the NGK. The Bosch seemed to give an off idle flat spot in acceleration.....
Other than that the engine ran fine.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Anyone have a spare OBD-II midpipe from a 328i or M3 (are they the same?)

I'm so damn sick of my exhaust rattle I'm tempted to just throw one in. If I cut and notch the pipe correctly I can use the band clamps to get a proper seal. Nothing turns up on my local CL though.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:52 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I tried a set just as an experiment and the butt dyno recorded a palpable difference in off idle response between the Bosch and the NGK. The Bosch seemed to give an off idle flat spot in acceleration.....
Other than that the engine ran fine.
Personally, the reason I recommend the NGK over Bosch, is I find that inevitably, some insist on ignoring advice and going with 'upgraded' +4s.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Santa

Mein Auto: 95 M3 --- 98 Camry D/D
m3 and 328i mid's are exactly the same. Why not just unbolt and bolt the new one up rather then going through the notching and clamping process? just curious.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 AM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post

I'm so damn sick of my exhaust rattle I'm tempted to just throw one in. If I cut and notch the pipe correctly I can use the band clamps to get a proper seal. Nothing turns up on my local CL though.
Link to anything with info on cutting and notching the pipes? Mine rattles and leaks too. I don't really care, but I'm looking for a more solid option for the project car. I saw that raceland makes an entire header/midpipe setup (seperable) without cats for $200. That's pretty cheap when you consider that we paid $100 for just the headers.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App

Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer claus View Post
m3 and 328i mid's are exactly the same. Why not just unbolt and bolt the new one up rather then going through the notching and clamping process? just curious.
I have long tube headers with no flange on the ends, I cut the stock mipipe too far back and had to use a band clamp to cover the gap. it works and keeps them mostly sealed, but it rattles like a bitch when the chassis flexes or water hits it and cools it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Link to anything with info on cutting and notching the pipes? Mine rattles and leaks too. I don't really care, but I'm looking for a more solid option for the project car. I saw that raceland makes an entire header/midpipe setup (seperable) without cats for $200. That's pretty cheap when you consider that we paid $100 for just the headers.

No link, I was just thinking about it and don't see why it wouldn't work. Do your headers get slimmer at the ends like mine do? You can see it on the rear one in this pic:

I was thinking I'd cut the midpipe to overlap the headers up to that point. Then I'll use a sawsall to cut a notch in the midpipe so it has space to tighten down. Slip the notched part of the midpipe over the headers and put the rear hardware on, then clamp the be-jeezus out of it with two fresh 2" band clamps to make it seal. A little bit of muffler goop probably wouldn't hurt either.

I helped my buddy do a full exhaust on his Volvo and that's the way they did the connections and it seems to work pretty well. I've looked at the raceland option but I don't want to go catless. That Scheidenmann company (no idea how that's spelled) has a nice set of headers that come with flanges in the middle so all you have to do is get them welded to the midpipe for like $250.

But why go through the trouble of swapping headers if all I need is a midpipe (that will flow better than my OBD-I one) and $20 worth of band connectors.

Then again I could just suffer through until I do my headgasket job and get some flanges welded on when its all out of the car.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Weld it.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 AM
nothing.

Mein Auto: who knows?
just in case no ones looking... did a public survey so everyone we know can choose a color

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TJKGS2D so if people want to vote you can
Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 AM
some kid

Just pick your favorite... you never seem to care what others think anyway lol

Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Quote:
Just pick your favorite... you never seem to care what others think anyway lol

I was going to say something about his attention whoring, but I don't know him that well, and I do it, too.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM
nothing.

Mein Auto: who knows?
But i have too many ideas at this moment. i can make ALL of them work..... yes even pink.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:

I do I do! However I want the cats.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
some kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post

This is convenient... I want an obd2 midpipe without cats!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
still learnin'

Quote:

Quote:

match made on bimmerfest. nice job.

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
Weld it.
Lulz, I'd like to see you try to remove a set of headers from a car while they're welded to the midpipe. They only go in one at a time.

Quote:

Quote:

Cute.

Still no mid-pipe for Joey.

Unless I can turn one up like, stupid cheap, I'll just wait until I pull the head I think, even if I do slip-fits instead of flanges.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM
some kid

So uh... Matt. Are available Friday night?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM
some kid

So guys... I have a problem. I got that "driver's view obstructed ticket" and sent in my guilty plea 2 and a half weeks ago. (Due on 28th). Still have not received a letter back from the court... sounds about right

Problem is that I forgot to copy the ticket before I sent it in and I can't remember which court I sent it to. So I have no idea how to find their phone number to double check their reception of the plea

Any ideas?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
Quote:
So guys... I have a problem. I got that "driver's view obstructed ticket" and sent in my guilty plea 2 and a half weeks ago. (Due on 28th). Still have not received a letter back from the court... sounds about right

Problem is that I forgot to copy the ticket before I sent it in and I can't remember which court I sent it to. So I have no idea how to find their phone number to double check their reception of the plea

Any ideas?

generally the state's website will have a number to the traffic violations dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Quote:
Lulz, I'd like to see you try to remove a set of headers from a car while they're welded to the midpipe. They only go in one at a time.

Cute.

Still no mid-pipe for Joey.

Unless I can turn one up like, stupid cheap, I'll just wait until I pull the head I think, even if I do slip-fits instead of flanges.
Why not just do flanges?

Also, I can probably find one at my local yard and pull it. Would you be interested in paying for shipping?

Closed Thread