Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #75451  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 AM
cj.surr's Avatar
cj.surr cj.surr is online now
some kid
Location: Ithaca, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,438
Mein Auto: whiny 318
Look at my build thread.

Expansion tank mounts to the fan shroud.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
__________________
-CJ

  #75452  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Kdoherty's Avatar
Kdoherty Kdoherty is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: The cradle of Liberty
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,544
Mein Auto: A redhead E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Look at my build thread.

Expansion tank mounts to the fan shroud.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
yeah i shoulda added that i don't have one of those either
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
  #75453  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 AM
SCJon SCJon is offline
Poet of Signature Quotes
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,976
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
my car takes forever to warm up too but the needles never moves away from 12 o'clock though
Mine is exactly the same, forever to warm, and stays warm for a long time, but doesn't move past the 12 point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Speaking of possessed cars, I finally got fed up with the ridiculous amount of salt caked on my car and stopped at an automated wash place. It caused my alarm to start going nuts, locking and unlocking the door, then it wouldn't start after I got my coffee. I reset the battery and tried it a few more times to get it to start. The alarm light was on solid, and it kept randomly unlocking and locking on the rest of my way in. After about 5 minutes it stopped, then the alarm light just went out, and when I got to the garage at work, it would restart, however the fob no longer locks the car.

Its some sh!tty Clifford alarm that I've never liked, so I don't particularly care if its dead, but I gots big issues if its going to keep preventing the car from starting.
That sucks, nothing more embarrassing than getting shut down by your own alarm!
__________________

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
  #75454  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 AM
jonesin's Avatar
jonesin jonesin is offline
The Canadian Prick.
Location: Fort McMurray AB
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12,580
Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
A few years ago now, I tried going into my bank to withdraw $8k to buy a car. They told me that they "didn't have enough on hand, so I'd have to book an appointment, that or they'd call ahead to another branch and let them know I was coming".

Now on the surface, these both seem legit, but how the hell am I supposed to know that Skippy won't just call up a buddy and tell them that a guy would be at this location at this time with this much $ on him? Call me paranoid, but I was pissed. It was my money, they most assuredly had $8k on hand, and they want me to take extra risks for what possible reason?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
I grew up in a time when the internet was just a baby. Grammar back then versus now... holy cow. You could watch the degradation of society as the internet became more mature.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
  #75455  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 AM
bimmer claus's Avatar
bimmer claus bimmer claus is offline
Santa
Location: The North Pole
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,670
Mein Auto: 95 M3 --- 98 Camry D/D
I may be wrong on this one guys correct me if I am but the biotchski main clips that mount the radiator .....the plastic swing lock ones they are different between the 318 and I6's arent they?
__________________

1998 Camry- DD Duty
1995 M3 Avus- Money Pit
1998 323IS- Sold/Satan Car
1993 318IS-Totaled
1995 325i-Lux- Sold
Why you don't buy Meyle suspension stuff -http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ostcount=86094
  #75456  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM
cj.surr's Avatar
cj.surr cj.surr is online now
some kid
Location: Ithaca, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,438
Mein Auto: whiny 318
They're the same. Just need to be slid over to accommodate the wider 6cyl radiator.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
__________________
-CJ

  #75457  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM
bimmer claus's Avatar
bimmer claus bimmer claus is offline
Santa
Location: The North Pole
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,670
Mein Auto: 95 M3 --- 98 Camry D/D
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
They're the same. Just need to be slid over to accommodate the wider 6cyl radiator.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
Okay thanks CJ I just remember busting one off they are ridiculously hard to remove without destroying think I snapped one when I removed my Rad.
__________________

1998 Camry- DD Duty
1995 M3 Avus- Money Pit
1998 323IS- Sold/Satan Car
1993 318IS-Totaled
1995 325i-Lux- Sold
Why you don't buy Meyle suspension stuff -http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ostcount=86094
  #75458  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM
B1MM3R's Avatar
B1MM3R B1MM3R is offline
Jesse Moon Bayne
Location: Roanoke, VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,279
Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Speaking of possessed cars, I finally got fed up with the ridiculous amount of salt caked on my car and stopped at an automated wash place. It caused my alarm to start going nuts, locking and unlocking the door, then it wouldn't start after I got my coffee. I reset the battery and tried it a few more times to get it to start. The alarm light was on solid, and it kept randomly unlocking and locking on the rest of my way in. After about 5 minutes it stopped, then the alarm light just went out, and when I got to the garage at work, it would restart, however the fob no longer locks the car.

Its some sh!tty Clifford alarm that I've never liked, so I don't particularly care if its dead, but I gots big issues if its going to keep preventing the car from starting.
This is funny b/c it reminds me of what happened to me one time. I was leaving gamestop video store and went to unlock my car with key fob...nothing, the battery was dead. Therefore I used my key to unlock the door and alarm would not stop going off. I tried everything, including unhooking the battery and once rehooked it went off again. I had to drive 10 minutes home and went off the entire way like I stole the car Got home and turned it off with my spare key fob. Was pretty embarassin untill I thought of it looking like I stole the car then it was hilarious to see everyones faces.
__________________
Jesse
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
  #75459  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 AM
BMRfanatic's Avatar
BMRfanatic BMRfanatic is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Shore MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,986
Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
3700 for a 328ci
that i think may need diff bushings?
new struts and shocks
174xxx?

think id look dumb for going back?

im too picky when it comes to cars
__________________

-Dino
  #75460  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:34 AM
bimmerbarbie's Avatar
bimmerbarbie bimmerbarbie is online now
Official Queen of E36 OT
Location: Hammond, La
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,451
Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Speaking of possessed cars, I finally got fed up with the ridiculous amount of salt caked on my car and stopped at an automated wash place. It caused my alarm to start going nuts, locking and unlocking the door, then it wouldn't start after I got my coffee. I reset the battery and tried it a few more times to get it to start. The alarm light was on solid, and it kept randomly unlocking and locking on the rest of my way in. After about 5 minutes it stopped, then the alarm light just went out, and when I got to the garage at work, it would restart, however the fob no longer locks the car.

Its some sh!tty Clifford alarm that I've never liked, so I don't particularly care if its dead, but I gots big issues if its going to keep preventing the car from starting.
My old alarm did something similar. Except it decided I'd stolen my car and so shut the car completely down...in the middle of the highway, at night, while I was driving, not even hazards came on. Funny part was the first thing out of my moms mouth was how did the cops shut down your car to pull you over?

Go on a hunt under the dash and start pulling out the nonsense that is affiliated with the alarm. That fixed my evil alarm.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
  #75461  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 AM
cj.surr's Avatar
cj.surr cj.surr is online now
some kid
Location: Ithaca, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,438
Mein Auto: whiny 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
3700 for a 328ci
that i think may need diff bushings?
new struts and shocks
174xxx?

think id look dumb for going back?

im too picky when it comes to cars
Not a bad price I guess. Wrong person to ask though, because I'm totally biased against non-m e46s.


Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
__________________
-CJ

  #75462  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 AM
B1MM3R's Avatar
B1MM3R B1MM3R is offline
Jesse Moon Bayne
Location: Roanoke, VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,279
Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
3700 for a 328ci
that i think may need diff bushings?
new struts and shocks
174xxx?

think id look dumb for going back?

im too picky when it comes to cars
My dad got his 325i with 156k on it for 3100 but needs clear on hood. Nothing else wrong tho. So that price don't seem bad.
__________________
Jesse
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
  #75463  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM
BMRfanatic's Avatar
BMRfanatic BMRfanatic is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Shore MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,986
Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
kbb says book value is still a little more than 5k in good condition
__________________

-Dino
  #75464  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 AM
B1MM3R's Avatar
B1MM3R B1MM3R is offline
Jesse Moon Bayne
Location: Roanoke, VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,279
Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
Yea...my dads was like 6250 I think. If you like it, I'd look into it really good. Im def a e36 guy tho, even with the m3's. Just like the square body.
__________________
Jesse
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
  #75465  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM
petriej's Avatar
petriej petriej is offline
Cruising 280 Top Down
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,088
Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Joey, you can disable the alarm by removing the two fuses near the positive battery terminal under the hood. At least, that's where my Clifford fuses were in my 4-door.
__________________

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
  #75466  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM
TheFinanceGuy's Avatar
TheFinanceGuy TheFinanceGuy is offline
still learnin'
Location: Boston Metro West (BMW)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,915
Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
3700 for a 328ci
that i think may need diff bushings?
new struts and shocks
174xxx?

think id look dumb for going back?

im too picky when it comes to cars
do it... call back and offer 3,500 or 3,300 and see if he bits.
__________________
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139



99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
  #75467  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM
BMRfanatic's Avatar
BMRfanatic BMRfanatic is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Shore MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,986
Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
3700 was the drop of the price he wanted 5500 originally .


im gonna see what my brother thinks
__________________

-Dino
  #75468  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM
petriej's Avatar
petriej petriej is offline
Cruising 280 Top Down
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,088
Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
$4k is cheap for that car. See if you can get lower, as always, but don't expect much.
__________________

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
  #75469  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 AM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is online now
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,374
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
A few years ago now, I tried going into my bank to withdraw $8k to buy a car. They told me that they "didn't have enough on hand, so I'd have to book an appointment, that or they'd call ahead to another branch and let them know I was coming".

Now on the surface, these both seem legit, but how the hell am I supposed to know that Skippy won't just call up a buddy and tell them that a guy would be at this location at this time with this much $ on him? Call me paranoid, but I was pissed. It was my money, they most assuredly had $8k on hand, and they want me to take extra risks for what possible reason?
Actually, it's not that simple. Branches can only have so much cash on hand. If they've had some very large withdraws and haven't taken in as much as they usually would, they could be running low. They need to keep a minimum on hand to service the other 95% of people who just need a little, and giving 8k to one person could put them in a bad spot.

Giving someone half or less and calling ahead to another branch is actually pretty common.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
__________________
// Chad // 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2000 Kawasaki Concours 1000 //
// 1998 Honda CBR900RR // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
  #75470  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
SlimKlim's Avatar
SlimKlim SlimKlim is offline
King of Drone
Location: Fairfax, VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,188
Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Speaking of possessed cars, I finally got fed up with the ridiculous amount of salt caked on my car and stopped at an automated wash place. It caused my alarm to start going nuts, locking and unlocking the door, then it wouldn't start after I got my coffee. I reset the battery and tried it a few more times to get it to start. The alarm light was on solid, and it kept randomly unlocking and locking on the rest of my way in. After about 5 minutes it stopped, then the alarm light just went out, and when I got to the garage at work, it would restart, however the fob no longer locks the car.

Its some sh!tty Clifford alarm that I've never liked, so I don't particularly care if its dead, but I gots big issues if its going to keep preventing the car from starting.
I just went out and checked the car. Won't start. Ripped out the glove box and unplugged the module, no dice. Plugged it back in, still no go. Reset the battery, nope. Everything else works, the alarm just has it immobilized.

Any suggestions? I'd really, really, really like to be able to drive home tonight.

EDIT: I took the housing off the control module, there's water inside the housing somehow, but nothing around where it was is wet. However, the passenger's floorboard is soaked.
  #75471  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Eight Thirty Eight Thirty is offline
nothing.
Location: Rochester, Ny
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,464
Mein Auto: A dream
cowl drains plugged?
__________________
  #75472  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
SlimKlim's Avatar
SlimKlim SlimKlim is offline
King of Drone
Location: Fairfax, VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,188
Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post
cowl drains plugged?
No idea, everything else on the car is working perfectly, it just won't crank
  #75473  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 AM
BMRfanatic's Avatar
BMRfanatic BMRfanatic is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Shore MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,986
Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
well my brother called the guy and explained to him about the check. guy thought i wanted to give him a personal check but my bro explained that we both will go to the bank and do it that way as Ken mentioned earlier


so this weekend if the car is there. its mine
__________________

-Dino
  #75474  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM
TheFinanceGuy's Avatar
TheFinanceGuy TheFinanceGuy is offline
still learnin'
Location: Boston Metro West (BMW)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,915
Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
well my brother called the guy and explained to him about the check. guy thought i wanted to give him a personal check but my bro explained that we both will go to the bank and do it that way as Ken mentioned earlier


so this weekend if the car is there. its mine
kick butt... sneak peek of pictures?

And why wait until this weekend?
__________________
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139



99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
  #75475  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM
petriej's Avatar
petriej petriej is offline
Cruising 280 Top Down
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,088
Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
I just went out and checked the car. Won't start. Ripped out the glove box and unplugged the module, no dice. Plugged it back in, still no go. Reset the battery, nope. Everything else works, the alarm just has it immobilized.

Any suggestions? I'd really, really, really like to be able to drive home tonight.

EDIT: I took the housing off the control module, there's water inside the housing somehow, but nothing around where it was is wet. However, the passenger's floorboard is soaked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Joey, you can disable the alarm by removing the two fuses near the positive battery terminal under the hood. At least, that's where my Clifford fuses were in my 4-door.

If your ECU isn't shot from water damage, try taking out the fuses. I think Clifford does more than just the little alarm module.
__________________

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
12-6 cloud: yes or no?, :3, because racemower!!, chads looking for a new audi, no tag integrity pls, pls stop erasing da damn tags, what's integrity?, whats audi?, you guys crack me up...


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms