Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
Quote:
Originally Posted by OV2310 View Post
Quick question, is it normal for the wheel and steering to have a little play when I pick up the front end and move one of the wheels side-to-side?
I also get a little vibration when I'm on the freeway and it follows cracks on the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Bimmer App
Mine and the e46 have that little play when off ground

Sent from my XT901 using Bimmer App
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
If you don't have any other symptoms, could be food poisoning. Sucks dude.

My tax refund came in today. Woo!

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
Can't wait for this to be over. I rarely get sick, and it absolutely blows when i do.

Can't wait to get my refund!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 M3
Okay thanks bud.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:03 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooby View Post
I got scars too! I broke not one, not two....

...but THREE nailz in the process...

why are you using nails on your car??....

and depends upon the amount of play when compared to the amount of force applied...i usually just use gentle force and wiggle. if you hoss down on it you could be telegraphing play from the rack....which could be mistaken for an inner tie rod.

df
Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Haters Gonna Hate

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by OV2310 View Post
Quick question, is it normal for the wheel and steering to have a little play when I pick up the front end and move one of the wheels side-to-side?
I also get a little vibration when I'm on the freeway and it follows cracks on the road.

I too have that problem. With all cars actually! Stupid cracks on the freeway make me swerve!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Nice Jesse!

I found a "Special Edition" Mazda3 hatch in town. 90k miles, leather, stickshift, heated seats and navigation, and I found a GC Overland with a bit too many miles on it up near Tyson's Corner. Sounds like today is a test driving day!
I just started to look into those cars. Seems like they are the ultimate combo for price and driveability. I just need something to get to work and back and the M3 isn't a comfortable commuter. I haven't driven one yet, though. I hear the back is a tad small. Is that true?
You can’t spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaV MaNN View Post
I just started to look into those cars. Seems like they are the ultimate combo for price and driveability. I just need something to get to work and back and the M3 isn't a comfortable commuter. I haven't driven one yet, though. I hear the back is a tad small. Is that true?
I was actually pretty impressed with the interior space for how small the car is. I drove a 2009 "Sport" aka cloth seats, back in December, this one was an 05 special edition so it had different wheels and all the options, including 2005 DVD-based navigation.

Unfortunately that little car had about the roughest 83k miles it possibly could've had. Interior and exterior were pretty nice cosmetically, aside from a cracked mirror cover, but it had a fart can exhaust, stupid "long tube" intake, the clutch was about toast, the shifter popped out of 3rd gear half the time, and it had a shimmy at certain speeds on the highway. The salesman flipped from telling me how clean of a car it was, to apologizing and saying it would be on the wholesale truck in the morning.

They had a 2010 GTI, "package 2" Aka heated cloth seats, sunroof, and the fancy radio, and DSG trans but no other options. I told him I was shopping those too, but specifically the MKV body style and that the MKVI was way out of my price range. He offered to let me drive it just as an example, so we took it out for a spin.

Absolutely loved the car, and when he sucked me into his office afterwards offered me $16,800 on it down from the $19,700 sticker, but it still didn't bring it anywhere close to my $12k cap. I told him I appreciated the time and wanted to hear from him if he got a DSG MKV in, and was about to head out, but he went and grabbed the sales manager, who sat down and tried to explain why it made financial sense to spend $6k more for a car with 20k less miles because it had a CPO. (comparing their 2010 with 42k miles to my theoretical 07-08 with 60-70k miles) I didn't feel like I needed to justify my logic that $6k buys a LOT of f*cking parts, especially after explaining to the first salesman that "Yes, I know you can get me into this car for my desired monthly on a 60 mo lease, but that doesn't exactly help me in 3.5 years when I'm bored with the car and owe more than its worth."

It was a pretty good experience up until the sales manager intervened, he was such a pushy little bastard I dont really want to go back there even if they find an MKV for me.

Then we headed up to Tysons corner to check out a GC Overland I had an appointment for, but another salesman gave it to another prospective buyer overnight to have checked out by a shop, so it was a completely wasted trip.

All in all it was a pretty frustrating 1st day of legitimate shopping, the only question I answered is that I really don't want a Mazda3. They are neat little cars, but just aren't anywhere near as refined as the GTI, and after nearly 4 years in a rickety E36, I really dont want another rickety DD. I also *gasp* really don't want a stickshift DD while I'm commuting in the DC area.

Maybe next weekend I can turn up another GC and a GTI that's actually in my price range. I know they're wildly different cars and both are far from the pinnacle of reliability, but those are the only two in my price range that actually appeal to me enough to own.

Last edited by SlimKlim; 02-16-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
I looked into GTI's but I just dont really want to be in a VW. Good cars but I just don't care for them.

Also looking into a Subaru Impreza RS but for what they are and the mileage they get, the Mazda3 seems to be a better pick.

I had a similar experience when shopping last week. First guy was being totally cool, telling me about his old e36 M3's and how he liked mine. He offered to have me come inside and show me what other dealers have that way I don't have to walk around, then here comes Joe Schmuck.
" Hey man, whats your limit?"
Uh, about 12K max.
"Sweet how about be extend your estimated payment from 2 years to 5 years and get you in a brand new Civic!"
I don't want a Civic, and I'm not buying a new car.
"Well at least drive it"
Alright Fine.

He goes into the dealership to grab the keys, which is the perfect opportunity for me to say fcuk this and just walk to the next dealer.
You can’t spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Quote:
I was actually pretty impressed with the interior space for how small the car is. I drove a 2009 "Sport" aka cloth seats, back in December, this one was an 05 special edition so it had different wheels and all the options, including 2005 DVD-based navigation.

Unfortunately that little car had about the roughest 83k miles it possibly could've had. Interior and exterior were pretty nice cosmetically, aside from a cracked mirror cover, but it had a fart can exhaust, stupid "long tube" intake, the clutch was about toast, the shifter popped out of 3rd gear half the time, and it had a shimmy at certain speeds on the highway. The salesman flipped from telling me how clean of a car it was, to apologizing and saying it would be on the wholesale truck in the morning.

They had a 2010 GTI, "package 2" Aka heated cloth seats, sunroof, and the fancy radio, and DSG trans but no other options. I told him I was shopping those too, but specifically the MKV body style and that the MKVI was way out of my price range. He offered to let me drive it just as an example, so we took it out for a spin.

Absolutely loved the car, and when he sucked me into his office afterwards offered me $16,800 on it down from the $19,700 sticker, but it still didn't bring it anywhere close to my $12k cap. I told him I appreciated the time and wanted to hear from him if he got a DSG MKV in, and was about to head out, but he went and grabbed the sales manager, who sat down and tried to explain why it made financial sense to spend $6k more for a car with 20k less miles because it had a CPO. (comparing their 2010 with 42k miles to my theoretical 07-08 with 60-70k miles) I didn't feel like I needed to justify my logic that $6k buys a LOT of f*cking parts, especially after explaining to the first salesman that "Yes, I know you can get me into this car for my desired monthly on a 60 mo lease, but that doesn't exactly help me in 3.5 years when I'm bored with the car and owe more than its worth."

It was a pretty good experience up until the sales manager intervened, he was such a pushy little bastard I dont really want to go back there even if they find an MKV for me.

Then we headed up to Tysons corner to check out a GC Overland I had an appointment for, but another salesman gave it to another prospective buyer overnight to have checked out by a shop, so it was a completely wasted trip.

All in all it was a pretty frustrating 1st day of legitimate shopping, the only question I answered is that I really don't want a Mazda3. They are neat little cars, but just aren't anywhere near as refined as the GTI, and after nearly 4 years in a rickety E36, I really dont want another rickety DD. I also *gasp* really don't want a stickshift DD while I'm commuting in the DC area.

Maybe next weekend I can turn up another GC and a GTI that's actually in my price range. I know they're wildly different cars and both are far from the pinnacle of reliability, but those are the only two in my price range that actually appeal to me enough to own.
First World Problems.

But seriously, I hate it when salesmen do that too. I get frustrated and leave. I liked Mazdas before one smashed my 6er. I think the Mazda 3speed is a better option. The regular 3 just feel underpowered to me.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 02-16-2013, 03:01 PM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
I call dealerships that have the car I want and negotiate the price by phone. If they won't do it, I move on. I come in to finalize the deal, and sign papers.
Worked on three cars so far. The current Subaru was done this way. The sales person said it was the easiest transaction he ever had. I gave him my price via phone, they couldn't do it, but came to a better deal on a higher end fully loaded forester.
All said and done in about an hour including signing loan papers.
We actually walked out without giving the $3k upfront cash.
Has to go back the next day.
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 02-16-2013, 05:44 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
I call dealerships that have the car I want and negotiate the price by phone. If they won't do it, I move on. I come in to finalize the deal, and sign papers.
Worked on three cars so far. The current Subaru was done this way. The sales person said it was the easiest transaction he ever had. I gave him my price via phone, they couldn't do it, but came to a better deal on a higher end fully loaded forester.
All said and done in about an hour including signing loan papers.
We actually walked out without giving the $3k upfront cash.
Has to go back the next day.
Yeah, I'm still trying to test drive and narrow down my options, I'm torn between the GC and GTI. I was hoping to test drive both today and narrow it down further, but I'm in no rush. If I decide I want the GTI i should probably save up a little more for a downpayment anyway.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 PM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Down payment.... That was the word I was looking for.
Upfront cash...
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
I can't wait to move.......had to drain and fill the air compressor just now. Its about 3' from that side of the garage to the fence, and about 6' from the fence to my neighbors living room. Takes a good 8+ minutes to completely fill, and its effing LOUD! I feel like a douche

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Quote:
I can't wait to move.......had to drain and fill the air compressor just now. Its about 3' from that side of the garage to the fence, and about 6' from the fence to my neighbors living room. Takes a good 8+ minutes to completely fill, and its effing LOUD! I feel like a douche

It's ok! If I'm working on my car, I'll blast music right up into the 10pm "sound curfew"

Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Sup dudes

I miss anything?

the e36 CEL is playing games comes on then next thing you its off and it repeats the cycle

still tends to do its struggle at 3500rpms then carries on at 4k

And side note:

People are douches

-Dino
Old 02-16-2013, 07:17 PM
I6 feels good

Mein Auto: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
It's ok! If I'm working on my car, I'll blast music right up into the 10pm "sound curfew"
There's no sound curfew at Jorge's house
Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Haters Gonna Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad31late View Post
There's no sound curfew at Jorge's house
Yeah dude, I blast music and use the impact full power!!! LOL
Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
This is nothing like
music......I had the music way up and this completely down it out. 8" from the speakers and I couldn't hear a note. This thing is brutal, like a jack hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My E36 View Post
Yeah dude, I blast music and use the impact full power!!! LOL
If I were your neighbor the cops would be there all the time.

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Haters Gonna Hate

Quote:
This is nothing like
music......I had the music way up and this completely down it out. 8" from the speakers and I couldn't hear a note. This thing is brutal, like a jack hammer.

If I were your neighbor the cops would be there all the time.

Lol and for that, I'd make MORE noise
Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Quote:
Lol and for that, I'd make MORE noise
Yeah, if someone bitched about me making noise, I would a point of being extra obnoxious right up until 10pm.

One time I was playing in my front lawn with my band, and the neighbor called the cops (around 4pm). Cop told us to rock on.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Haters Gonna Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Yeah, if someone bitched about me making noise, I would a point of being extra obnoxious right up until 10pm.

One time I was playing in my front lawn with my band, and the neighbor called the cops (around 4pm). Cop told us to rock on.
That's 4pm thoe.... Usually when it's around after 8 or 9 they tell you to be quiet
Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Man, I do not know how you people live with neighbors. Right now it is 1:00 A.M. and I have the air compressor on.
But anyways if some called the cops on me I would be pissed and that neighbor would have gotten a new nemesis. My first strike would be hacking their Wi-Fi and renaming it something like “FBI van 6”. Admittedly I did steal that idea from a friend of my mom’s neighbor but it is still funny.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy peddle, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 PM
nothing.

Mein Auto: A dream
My internet is called "FBI Surveillance van"

lmao
Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Haters Gonna Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark11235 View Post
Man, I do not know how you people live with neighbors. Right now it is 1:00 A.M. and I have the air compressor on.
But anyways if some called the cops on me I would be pissed and that neighbor would have gotten a new nemesis. My first strike would be hacking their Wi-Fi and renaming it something like “FBI van 6”. Admittedly I did steal that idea from a friend of my mom’s neighbor but it is still funny.
Everyone does that, give it something like a PORN name. My girl did that. I honesty thought it was pretty hilarious
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post
My internet is called "FBI Surveillance van"

lmao
Really? :rolf:
You wouldn’t have happened have seen a short white lady in her 40’s wearing a leather jacket and holding a laptop wondering around your neighborhood around the time your internet was named "FBI Surveillance van" now would you? I am pretty sure May’s* tech savvy neighbor hacked the Wi-Fi after May yelled at the neighbor for letting the neighbor’s leaves blow across the street on to May’s lawn. On the other hand May connived herself that the woman with the laptop she saw wondering the neighborhood had something to do with the Wi-Fi.

*I am just going to call my mom’s friend May because I have no idea what her name is

Quote:
Everyone does that, give it something like a PORN name. My girl did that. I honesty thought it was pretty hilarious

But the FBI van name had May convinced that the FBI was in the area and she was too scared to use it. May acuity end up stealing her Wi-Fi from her other neighbor with like a 1 ms connection.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy peddle, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Closed Thread