Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 07-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 740iL
97 740iL - Sunroof shade

Hey all does anyone have an idea of how to remove the sunroof shade without dropping the entire headliner. I need to have that and the pillars reupohlstered and I can save myself some money by doing it myself.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
If you look at the link on e38.org titled "headliner removal and replacement" it shows the tracks for the sunshade are under the headliner, so I don't think that its possible. My headliner is sagging too and those are the instructions I'm going to use to replace it. My interior is tan so when I replace it I'm going to put a black one in there to give it a 2-tone look.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: '98 740iL
Unhappy Headliner Mess

A couple of weeks ago, my sunroof shade headliner started to crumple up under the main headliner. The next time I closed the shade I was met with a bunch of orange mess (I'm thinking insulation and glue) and the headliner is now manually tucked into the main headliner of the car. I was just wondering if either of you have completed your project and able to do it without lowering or completely removing the main headliner. I'm thinking about just temporarily removing the shade headliner and the orange mess until I can figure out next steps.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 740il
There is a way

It's the poor route. I had the same situation and this is what I did last night. Have a shop vac ready and just pull the covering off of the sun roof shade. Then vacuum up all of the glue padding stuff. Then take some mineral spirits, paint thinner or anything that will cut and dissolve glue and wipe off the remaining orange glue padding. You will find a nice shinny aluminum plate under all of that nastiness. Then you can use your sunroof again. And the shade will slide just like new.