Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Hugo
Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8
Question S52 cams and M50 intake on an M52 : custom software needed or not?

Hi folks!

I know this board has a lot of technical gurus, so I figured I'd try my luck regarding a couple of mods I plan on doing on my car, a 97 Z3 2.8.

I'll be putting on an M50 intake along with S52 cams. I was wondering if the OBD2 system can adapt to these mods, or if custom software tuning will be necessary. If I do indeed need software, what can happen if I drive before I get it? I might have to drive a few hours to meet a potential software guy.

My mods so far include a Shark, ECIS intake, SuperTrapp exhaust (flame away... ) and a bunch of other non-performance stuff...

Thanks in advance!
1990 Suzuki Samurai - modded
1990 Wallet - empty
Ads by Google
Old 08-14-2003, 06:52 AM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo
Hi folks!

I know this board has a lot of technical gurus, so I figured I'd try my luck regarding a couple of mods I plan on doing on my car, a 97 Z3 2.8.

I'll be putting on an M50 intake along with S52 cams. I was wondering if the OBD2 system can adapt to these mods, or if custom software tuning will be necessary. If I do indeed need software, what can happen if I drive before I get it? I might have to drive a few hours to meet a potential software guy.

My mods so far include a Shark, ECIS intake, SuperTrapp exhaust (flame away... ) and a bunch of other non-performance stuff...

Thanks in advance!

This conversion works great. I have it and love it.

The cams require proper fuel air and therefor need something different that standard shark s/w. Eurosport would be the best folks to discuss this with. Talk to Josh.

Buy the COMPLETE Kit from the source. Conforti's Eurosport company. The kit comes with everything including an instruction CD. I have the S52 Kit. He should have a S50 kit.

Schrick cams, M50 Euro manifold, euro AFM, larger injectors, Much larger Air intake/filter , Engine cover to fit the Euro manifold , lots of little parts for the manifold hoses (there are lots of them) and most importantly custom S/W programed by conforti to match the S52 engine (he owns a coupe S52).

The car pulls like never before. Its like a governor was removed. You will love this kit!

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"

Last edited by bob lindquist; 08-14-2003 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:16 AM

Thanks Bob.

I've already talked to Josh. Initially, I planned on putting on just the M50 intake, but a member over at bf.c suggested I talked to Josh, who told me he had a kit for the 2.8 that included software, adapters, etc... and I had to get some cams. So I bought a set off a 99 M3, an intake off a 94 325i, and started thinking... his kit costs 1000$.

He said the kit is needed to fit the intake, but there's a write up on the showing how to connect the various vaccuum lines without adapters. The engine cover can be dremeled to fit too. No injectors come with the M52 kit.

So that make the software a very expensive thing, and they just won't sell it separately. Bummer. That's why I'm getting in touch with some folks regarding custom software possibilities, since the Eurosport route is way too expensive...
1990 Wallet - empty
Old 08-14-2003, 08:47 AM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
Ok got it

Well I see where you are. I found the manifold and all the hoses down there a bit of a bear to work with, But sounds like you have that covered.

I know there are shops like turner and autothority who can program for the cams. I'm sure someone near you can also. I think the s/w is key to maximize the cams.

I have heard others go the route you are going because they thought the eurosport kit was expensive. I didn't. I liked the "kit factor" and since the s/w was tuned for the hardware and is reprogramable by injector I went with it. But thats just me. I also didn't go the piece route with suspension. I bought the whole Dinan stage 4 setup since I figured they knew more that me.

good luck with the project. Hope This helped.

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"

Old 08-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Oh trust me, I like the kit factor too. Unfortunately, being north of the border, I dislike the «taxes, exchange rate, custom fees factor» even more!

Eurosport simplifies the whole deal. But I just can't afford it. I'll check with autothority, as Turner seemed lost. There's a guy in Toronto who's with Superchips in the UK, who could make it work too...

Next up are pulleys and an electrical grounding kit!
1990 Wallet - empty