Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645
squeaky brakes

What are you guys doing for the freaking sqeaky break noise. Pads not nearly worn. I've pressure washed it out and everything. Still not getting nothing. I've got some crap from auto zon but it only works for a few hours then it's right back to it's old self. Tired of giving the dealer 125 to fix it every six months. Probably the only thing I hate about my car.
2005 645, White, Chateau Red, Black Top. 20 inch Saf Forged wheels- white chrome custome painted. Still thinking of Lowering with springs. Really wanting to do the Ipod intergration if i can find one.

The Officiall Name of my Car is "Optimus Prime"

I don't work I Ignite. If you are in TX, GA, MD, or PA you need to get at me so I can show you how to set yourself free.
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 318I
try bedding them in. Go to a road, and drive up to 40-60 mph. then slam the brakes (not hard enough to engage ABS, just HARD STOP) down to about 10 mph, (don't come to a complete stop) do this a few times (until you're bored of it). let brakes cool for a little bit, then do it again. should fix it - worked on my mom's chevy.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 535i
Had the same problem and still do. I keep my wheels/brakes clean with high pressure wash. The dealer told me that because I wash away all of the dust and oil that the brakes will naturally sqeak. Not sure if the dealer is being honest or just trying to placate me.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 650
I had this problem and tried everything....washing the rotors thoroughly, not washing them at all, etc. Ultimately, I took it to the dealer and they replaced (pads & rotors) under warranty. I think it was both axels, too. Have not had a squeak since so something was wrong with the factory set-up from the git-go. I lived with it for 15K miles and now I have 45K miles and brakes are silent as they should be on such a fine car.....

Last edited by JamesA; 07-02-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 630i
According to my SA, the squeal is caused by the brake sensor. When the pads wear down, the sensor sometimes rubs against the brake disc. Dirt adds to the noise but cleaning the pads/disc is a temporary solution.

The sound usually starts when the pads are about half worn. The way to get rid of it is to change the pads and sensors. I didn't cause it still has at least a good 5 months of use left (They'll recommend changing when the pads are about 4mm).

However, I found that as I drove it more, the squeal reduced somewhat.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 535i
To add to the discussion, the dealer replaced my rear sensor and my rear pads. The rear rotors and everything in the front is original. I get major sqeaking after every car wash and then the sqeak fades over the next days. Additionally to the sqeak, when Im stopped and then just lightly lift the foot from the pedal, the breaks seems to grind and bark... Its not good. I imagine the fronts need to be looked at.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgraves View Post
To add to the discussion, the dealer replaced my rear sensor and my rear pads. The rear rotors and everything in the front is original. I get major sqeaking after every car wash and then the sqeak fades over the next days. Additionally to the sqeak, when Im stopped and then just lightly lift the foot from the pedal, the breaks seems to grind and bark... Its not good. I imagine the fronts need to be looked at.
Everything you've described is exactly like my 645. From day one it's been like this, I thought it was normal..
Old 07-02-2009, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 View Post
According to my SA, the squeal is caused by the brake sensor. When the pads wear down, the sensor sometimes rubs against the brake disc. Dirt adds to the noise but cleaning the pads/disc is a temporary solution.

The sound usually starts when the pads are about half worn. The way to get rid of it is to change the pads and sensors. I didn't cause it still has at least a good 5 months of use left (They'll recommend changing when the pads are about 4mm).

Just called my SA the other day and he told me there was a "recall on bad sensor on 3's and 5's" and has to see if the same goes for the 6.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2005, 645ci BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 View Post

Any update on this matter? I know what 63 said is what really happening, so what is the solution?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: '05 E64
I've had it since day one with the 6er. I have told the deale about 7 or 8 times now, and they just don't seem to want to do anything with it. My last 5er used to have the same issue every once in a while too...

I know how anoying it is to have to hear the sqeaks when you're pulling up to every single stop light, but I have learned to ignore it to a certain degree
Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I had the same problem. Plenty of pad left. After changing both the front & rear pads & sensors, the squeaking stopped.

Maybe I got lucky! The squeaking was driving me crazy.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 650i
please get your sensors replaced, same issue with me whenever I reversed the car and it vanished after changing the sensors and the pads, ofcourse under warranty....
Old 11-24-2009, 09:27 AM

The sound comes after the pads life reaches half way, thats when the sensors start touching the disks and the sound comes, it is just too annoying and it's also embarrassing, people think your too cheap to change your pads! so that leave us with no solution except to change the pads when ever they are half life! come on BMW find a solution for God sake.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:28 PM
irfan645

Mein Auto: BMW 645 CI
Brakes

I had my discs changed under warranty at beginning of the year, about 7K miles. And for the last four months i have the same squeaking issue, a little touch and it goes thru your head. Could be the pads, however reading some of the comments above i will probably change the sensors too.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
I complained about the brakes squeaking on it's 30K service and they replaced them all the way around. All was good until about 40K miles and it came back for me again. We'll see what they say next week.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:44 AM

The sound is just getting worse and worse, solution please, please, please, I can't enjoy driving my car no more.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Had the same sqeaky noise. Changed my pads all the way around at about 39,000 miles and the two front rotors. I'm at around 45,000 miles now with no noise. Will see what happens in a few thousand more miles.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 12-08-2009, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i
I have the same problem on my 525i. The dealer says that they the pads are fine but I stated that my brakes should not squeak prematurely on an expensive car. We went back and forth and they went ahead and replaced the pads. They still squeak but I'm just dealing with it because I'm tired of going back and forth on it. It doesnt happen all the time now but it is enough to piss me off.

2008 650i Sport Convertible
Monaco Blue | Saddle BrownLeather | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Package | Park Distance Control | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Sirius | Logic 7 Premium Sound HD Radio
Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: ...
i only experience squeaky breaks when i dont drive car for a while or when first pulling out of driveway, is this normal, after i put the breaks on once squeaks are gone
Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 09 Saph Black 650i cabrio
that same sound annoys me too d dealer changed my brakes and for a few miles it was good no noise then out of no where it squeeks again i hate dat alot
Old 12-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 06 650i, 08 MINI ClubmanS
I had my rear brakes squeaking whenever I backup and also just before the car came to a full stop. I complain to the dealer and they replace the rear brakes for me. Then it start to have even grinding noise for a day or two, afterward, everything is back to normal (I would say after 200 miles ). Now, it's absolutely noise free
Old 12-11-2009, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E63/645ci
I just took my car to the dealer yesterday for the brakes squeeking an they told me the brakes were fine I still had like 60% left. They said the brakes just make the noise because of the sensors an there is nothing they can do to make them stop unless U change them an the prob will come back later on down the raod
Old 12-12-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver645ci View Post
I just took my car to the dealer yesterday for the brakes squeeking an they told me the brakes were fine I still had like 60% left. They said the brakes just make the noise because of the sensors an there is nothing they can do to make them stop unless U change them an the prob will come back later on down the raod
Yes this is exactly what it is, but does newer models have the same problem? if not can we fit them on our cars? I heard that this only happened on '04 and '05 models.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 650 Convertible
Same problem with mine......started at about 15K miles. After the 2nd trip to the dealer they told me it was driving habits. Unbelievable.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 645ci
f**king squeaking brakes!!!!!

Im so gutted to read all these post about the brakes. I bought a 645 ci about 2 months ago, sure enough the brakes are now squeaking LOUD whenever I come to a stop.

I immediately took it to the mechanic who confirmed it was the pads.

I had the front & rear pads changed and the brake sensors replaced. No problems for about a week and now the noise is back even louder than before.

I feel like I am driving a bloody bus!!!! Not an expensive, stylish sports car.

I previously had a 735i and wish I had never swapped for a 6 at this point.

Does anyone have any other solutions?? I have washed them, greased them the works......at this point its going back to the garage to see if they can fix, but its not cheap and shouldnt be a problem on such a high end vehicle