Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-27-2001, 05:38 PM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S, NSX
Hey guys, another computer question: Is SDRAM the same as Ram

I saw a Hewlett packard at Costco with 456 SDRAM, is that the same as 456 ram or is it better ?

this computer was 1.4 g
80gHD
plus a whole bunch of other stuff
with 17inch monitor(which I really don't need)
for $999.
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2001, 06:01 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
SDRAM is a type of RAM. There are many types for the various motherboards on the market.

You can get a much better deal. Check out http://www.pricewatch.com/

I bought a 1.7/40gb/256mb/ etc.etc. for about $600. Prices have probably fallen another 100-150 since then to about $450.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:29 PM
Crotchety Old Fart

Mein Auto: 2009 328xiT, 2005 F650CS
I'd be wary of HP computers, Alan. Printers, they are the benchmark. But their computers have bad reliability records.

You can find them for cheap, that's for sure.

It's always seemed to me that there are two legitimate approaches to computers. If you're technically compentent, then no-name brands are fine. Dirt cheap, and since you're the kind of guy who will likely be constantly upgrading, adding, replacing components, the warranty and long-term reliability aren't a big deal. The computer will become what you make of it.

On the other hand, (1) if you're looking for a turnkey solution, ready out of the box, a system that is cutting edge when bought and will resist obsolescence for a number of years, and/or (2) you want a system that's well-designed, the components are well matched, and you don't want to ever have to open up the case, then you buy a Gateway or a Dell. MAYBE a Compaq, if you're inclined to overpay for the simplicity of buying from an electronics superstore.

Dell is my choice. Each computer is custom ordered, perfect upon delivery, top-notch service, AND their systems are very upgradable when the time comes for that.

2009 328xiT, gray, chestnut brown leather, premium, cold weather, keyless, xenon, park assist.

2005 F650CS, custom Corbin saddle, Givi topcase, ABS, heated grips, helmet spider.

2004 R1150RT, custom Corbin saddle, BMW topcase

And now...2000 Z3 2.8. Green on saddle tan. 2-piece cross-spoke 17" wheels.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323ci
Fuse !!

Sup brotha !!!

You got some stock in Dell ? LOL

j/k

I like them too ...........
Old 12-28-2001, 06:34 AM
O.G.

Mein Auto: 2011 MDX, 2001 330xi
As you might guess, I agree with fuse about buying a namebrand computer (I have a Dell currently and it has been great). I also think you should get a 17" monitor. Web pages just don't fit on 15" monitors anymore. Also, with a 17" monitor you will be able to explore the deeper reaches of digital photography, and harness the use of the flash
Old 12-28-2001, 06:50 AM
Crotchety Old Fart

Mein Auto: 2009 328xiT, 2005 F650CS
17" monitor? What is this, amateur hour? Go with a 19" monitor! It does cost more, but it completely alters the online experience.

And photo work is a breeze.

It was the best decision I made when configuring my own computer. If you have a reluctant and suspicious wife auditing the expenditure (as I do), that big monitor makes a hell of a first impression. The "wow" factor really silenced her, and then the completely otherworldly speed (we hadn't upgraded our computer in SIX YEARS - Pentium 75, baybee!), had her almost as happy about the new computer as I was.

2009 328xiT, gray, chestnut brown leather, premium, cold weather, keyless, xenon, park assist.

2005 F650CS, custom Corbin saddle, Givi topcase, ABS, heated grips, helmet spider.

2004 R1150RT, custom Corbin saddle, BMW topcase

And now...2000 Z3 2.8. Green on saddle tan. 2-piece cross-spoke 17" wheels.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jeffxjet
Mein Auto: 03M3sMg
I use a Dell laptop for my travels and I love it. Dell is the best. I've also had a Compaq laptop that was okay and 2 Gateway laptops. The first was a complete lemon, and the replacement was a slight lemon. I got my Dell after only having the Gateway for a few months. Dell is by far the best, unless you want to go extreme. I have an Alienware as my desktop and that thing Kicks ASS! I wouldn't by a laptop from them, but they will get my business again when I need another desktop. They are a little expensive but trust me, well worth it. Check them out at www.alienware.com . You wont be disappointed
Jeff
PS I agree with Fuse, get the 19 if the purse strings don't strangle you. I have pics of my alien if someone can tell me where to host them and how to post them. Hey I'm a poet and didn't know it.

Last edited by jeffxjet; 12-28-2001 at 10:39 AM.