Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: E92 328i
Fuel tank replacement

Hello

Quick question/consensus from the enthusiast community if you have a moment.

My father just called me and said that his car came back from service and his SA said that he should bring his car back when the fuel tank is empty so that they can replace his fuel tank.

Now I know there's a first time for everything; however, replacing a fuel tank on a 2007 E65 is a bit wow factor-ish for me.

Has anyone here heard of this happening to other owners? Or has has one here experienced this first hand?

Thoughts or recommendations on this matter?

Thanks in advance for your replies
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 PM
asc-abs sensors rock!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to starioncorrado
Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Is this fuel tank platinum?? LOL why in earth would they want to reaplace this tank if its not old, could it be that i has dirt in it??? Who knows.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: E92 328i
lol i wish it were platinum... then i'd sell it and tell my dad to pick himself up a nice F01. I don't know why they are replacing the entire tank when the initial complaint was just that when he goes to fuel up at a gas station he needs to stand there and hold the pump instead of engaging the lock.

I guess the receptacle for the the fuel tank and the fuel tank itself are one unit so that is why they are replacing it.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 750 Li
Had my tank and filler neck replaced on a brand new Mustang a couple of years ago. It got better, but the problem never went away.

Ford's solution? It's YOUR problem that you go to gas stations where the pumps are too sensitive... That is actually the official response from Ford in N.A. and is stated in their TSB.

Needless to say I'll never buy american again. It's just sad.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
I had a fuel tank on another car replaced for safety reasons. When I went to the dealer with another problem, he found a "bad" gas tank. He would not let me have the car back until the tank was replaced (I did get a loaner). Something about liability if a safety issue had been found and not addressed.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
it is possible that the little filler cover broke off in the filler and went into the tank, this is causing the shutoff issue since fuel cannot flow down the neck as fast since it is being blocked, and they are worried that dis-lodging it could cause it to be sucked up by the fuel pump and cause more issues.