Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESMAL View Post
There is no POP POP POP noise my friend. Trust me. There is absolutely no POP POP noise. This is a friggin 6er, not some pickup truck. How do you even get that kind of noise anyway? Other than flatuence, but thats in the cabin. Removal of resonators bring out the best in your mufflers.

I'm getting my headers soon so thats resonators deleted and cats as well.

hey jesmal, is this all with the stock mufflers? If i remove the 3 resonators with my stock mufflers, i'll hopefully get that mean growl everyone's speaking of? Or is it a must to invest in a aftermarket muffler like the magnaflows, britalman, etc?
Old 07-11-2009, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: 06 650i
exhausted

Can anyone tell me the size of the 650's exhaust pipe? 2.5 inches? I want to remove the resonators and mufflers and order the x-pipe and Magna flows through Summit Racing. They have several sizes. Also, can anyone tell me the length of the Magna flows that they are using? I was hoping to get the largest one possible, that fits, to "soften" the tone.

Does anyone recommend a cat back aftermarket system? I'm still flip flopping. thanks
Old 07-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Makin Lotsa Noise

Mein Auto: ACS e64 650i SMG S.Black
First off, the diameter of the 650i's pipe is 2.25".

And yes, you can try removing all 3 resonators and replace the center section with a x-pipe first before going for an aftermarket muffler. See if you like the sound. But if you want to completely free up your exhaust system, I'd advise taking the final plunge with the mufflers. There are many available for you to choose from with various sound levels. So far Magnaflow sounds and looks the best if you are after the stock oval tip look. Britalmann is good as well, good sound, good construction, but the tips are too darn big. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci Coupe
now confused !

Hi
Iíve read this thread and iím now a little confused, i currently have a stock system on my 645ci, as i understand there are four parts to the system, running from the engine
As per http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E6...xhaust_system/

Part 1 Exhaust manifold including the cats
Part 2 Front Silencer (a.k.a Muffler/Resonator)
Part 3 Centre Muffler (a.k.a Silencer/Resonator)
Part 4 Rear Exhaust system (a.k.a muffler, silencer etc !)

So with an aim like others on this thread to create a more purposeful sound without a constant drone what would be the preferred method for the least outlay and work?

I Ďm thinking
Part 1 keep
Part 2 replace with straight through pipes
Part 3 replace with straight through pipes
Part 4 keep

I donít understand the advantage of x-pipes over straight pipes and where you would put one. I take it no option allows for an unbolting the old and bolting in the new (like an elise i used to own) and some cutting and welding will be required, if so does the whole system have to be removed from the car to do this ?
I would welcome some comments on what people have done and how they found it.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
The x-pipe will help equalize the pressure and it will help reduce some drone that would normally be taken care of by the resonators.

2006 650i - SMG - Alpine White / Chateau
Mods: OEM style 249 19" rims, H&R 10mm front spacers and 12mm rear spacers, KW v3 coilovers, Magnaflow exhaust (x-pipe, mufflers, resonator delete), RPi scoop, BMC filter (charcoal delete), LED angel eyes, 30% tint, OEM iPod interface, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black kidney grill
Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci Vert BlkonBlk Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Frosty View Post
Hi
Iíve read this thread and iím now a little confused, i currently have a stock system on my 645ci, as i understand there are four parts to the system, running from the engine
As per http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E6...xhaust_system/

Part 1 Exhaust manifold including the cats

So with an aim like others on this thread to create a more purposeful sound without a constant drone what would be the preferred method for the least outlay and work?

I Ďm thinking
Part 1 keep
Part 4 keep

I donít understand the advantage of x-pipes over straight pipes and where you would put one. I take it no option allows for an unbolting the old and bolting in the new (like an elise i used to own) and some cutting and welding will be required, if so does the whole system have to be removed from the car to do this ?
Very well said......... I am contemplating doing the same thing with the addition of the x-pipe. I want to change the tips to quad tips so I will probably change the mufflers but am struggling with replacing the rear bumper to accept the quad tips....... So I have been looking at the Wald body kit too and also want to go with H & R springs to lower it some but retain my 19" OEM M6 wheels..........so I am looking for comments too....
Cheers

'04 645 Ci Convertible, Black Sapphire Metalic, Black Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg w/Ipod connect, Sport Pkg w/'07 OEM M6 wheels w/Continental Sport Contact 2's, Park Dist. Control, AC Schnitzer Pedals, Ultimate Mats, Tinted, Britalman cat-back exhaust, H&R Sport Springs...
Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Makin Lotsa Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Frosty View Post
......Part 1 Exhaust manifold including the cats

I 'm thinking
Part 1 keep
Part 4 keep

I don't understand the advantage of x-pipes over straight pipes and where you would put one. I take it no option allows for an unbolting the old and bolting in the new (like an elise i used to own) and some cutting and welding will be required, if so does the whole system have to be removed from the car to do this ?
OK, let me make things clearer for you.
The whole idea of upgrading the exhaust system by deleting blockage points is to allow a smoother flow of exhaust gases hence a more free revving throttle response.

There is a total of 5 blockage points in the stock e63/64 exhaust system.

Part 1 keep
Yes, keeping the stock headers will help alot coz the stock headers come with the cats attached with the two ports for the O2 sensors. Changing to after market headers (e.g. RDSport), you will find yourself in a messy situation coz their headers only have a single O2 sensor on each side, where the other O2 sensor port which you will definitely need (in order to avoid the egine check light) can only be found on the race cats which they also sell, SEPERATELY of course. Their race cats come with the pipes to attach one end to their header system and the other to weld onto Part 2 of your stock system.

Changing of Part 1 is crucial if you want to release the full potential of your V8 engine. The header is POINT 1 and the cat POINT 2 of blockage. If you want to do this and yet avoid the extreme loudness or potential droning, get aftermarket race cats to go with it. Never run without the cats if you are weary of loud exhaust noises. I'm ok with it.

Yes, remove the front resonators (the twin cylinders welded together) with twin straight individual pipes. This will help remove POINT 3 of resistance. Noise levels will be raised slightly but only by doing this and removing Part 3 will you experience the full potential of your aftermarket mufflers (part 4)

NO. A big NO NO! Do not replace with straight through pipes. The logic being that the exhaust gases would have lost its velocity by the time it reaches this point of the system so the x-pipe will help by creating a plunging effect for the gases to accumulate then pushed out through the exit of the X design. Get it? There's a purpose for the X-pipe and not just for looks.

Part 4 (Mufflers) keep
Why stop here when you have removed part 2 and 3? The stock mufflers have so much wool and ****e stuck up in them, there's enough to dress the whole of NZ (kidding). If you get the exhaust shop to cut open the muffler, you'll see the maze of pipes in the muffler which on one hand helps to create backpressure which is necessary for maintaing a good healthy level of torque at low end, but robs you of your effort of removal parts 2 and 3. If you have a V8 6er, don't worry about losing low end torque. In fact, you'll find that the overall response of the car from the moment you hit the gas pedal improve, and I do mean seriously improve and not puire butt feel.

So in summary (phew), keep PART 1 if you're not wanting to take it to the extreme. Definitely remove PARTS 2 and 3 and upgrade PART 4. There are heaps of muffler choices around with really nice sound levels. And if you are afraid of losing the stock tips, the exhaust shop can always perform the transplant. It's easy peasy.

And to answer your other questions. Bolt on and off system? Muffler (Part 4) YES. Others, NO. A tad bit of welding will be involved. And NO, you do not need to remove the entire system from the undercarriage to perform these mods. Most can be done with the car on a hoist. For the headers (Part 1), the block needs to be dropped a tad bit to access the stock header system. That's about it. The rest will involve a bit of welding. quite painless really.

Good luck and do let us know what you end up with.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci Coupe
Thanks

Fantastic info, thanks Jesmal

Thats cleared things up a lot. i think the anglo-american terminology was also confusing me before too, manifold vs header - same thing etc.

ok, as it happens my neighbour has a 650i which i always thought sounded much better, earlier i sneaked round and peered underneath it and found he has had PART2 removed for straight through pipes, it sounds great so i'm certainly going to do this and i think a magnaflow x-pipe for part 3 too for the time being and then think about new a part 4 later.

From looking at part codes and diagrams between the 645ci and the 650i it seems they share the same exhaust clamp parts and so i can assume the 645ci has the same 2.25" dia pipes, unless anyone tells me other wise.

As so i'm off to find a local exhaust shop to do the work, i'm planning on providing them with the x-pipe and get them to source all the other pipe and bits , sound ok ?

Cheers
Old 07-29-2009, 05:06 AM

Magnaflow will release a system for the 6 soon!! They have dyno and sound clips already. I think it's just a matter of time. Probably a good idea to wait in my opinion. A catback system is better quality. Instead of letting some muffler shop slice and dice your stock system in the hopes that the welds are good, clean with lousy bends from cheap piping.

I expect the new system to be bolt on with all factory hangers, tubing to be a higher quality to resist rust, lifetime warranty for the whole system, mandrel bents, 2.5 inches vs. 2.25 for more freeflow and you already know the dyno results. It looks cleaner and you may be able to do it yourself!! My 2 cents. Hopefully they don't jack up the price.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=7751
Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Makin Lotsa Noise

There you have it!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:51 AM

No... there WE have it!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6me View Post
No... there WE have it!
+1 Thanks for the insight............
Cheers

'04 645 Ci Convertible, Black Sapphire Metalic, Black Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg w/Ipod connect, Sport Pkg w/'07 OEM M6 wheels w/Continental Sport Contact 2's, Park Dist. Control, AC Schnitzer Pedals, Ultimate Mats, Tinted, Britalman cat-back exhaust, H&R Sport Springs...
Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaPoint View Post
+1 Thanks for the insight............
Cheers
Anytime SeaPoint.....glad i could help......now if Magnaflow would wake up!! They have systems for 2010 Camaros but not for my 06 650i? Guess the R/D is harder for BMW's.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6me View Post
Anytime SeaPoint.....glad i could help......now if Magnaflow would wake up!! They have systems for 2010 Camaros but not for my 06 650i? Guess the R/D is harder for BMW's.
Interesting you should mention the 2010 Camaro........ Our local car club's show this last Saturday included many, many Camaro's including a Black 2010 LS3........... It was awesome.... He had already cut the mufflers off and was running straight pipe out the back.......leaving on the OEM resonators...........
Cheers....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2827 (2).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	195739   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2826.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	195740  

Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
dRopTop'd

Send a message via AIM to Phatisfy
Mein Auto: 2005 E64
I may have a Velocity Booster for sale if the price is right? This thing will get you in trouble if you don't know how to controll yourself!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Makin Lotsa Noise

I know, on map 2 I was already ****tin myself....
Old 01-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I dnt drive fst, i fly lo

Mein Auto: 2006 750li
so final question

I used to drive a lifted 8.1 liter sierra and had straight pipes from the cats back and it was totally legal. I have already cut out the rear resonators and am definately going to replace the front resonators with straight pipes and of course put in the x-pipe. im in cali and just double checking to make sure it is legal to have that. I know my truck was...but i dont want to do anything i would regret.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:07 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
I NEED to do this - too quiet stock for my liking.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Makin Lotsa Noise

Never too late....DO IT!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BWM 645ci
So where can you purchase an X pipe?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Makin Lotsa Noise

SUPERSPRINT and RDSport sell the x-pipe. Else you can always get the exhaust shop to make one for you. It's really easy to replicate, a no-brainer actually.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M6
Now are all you guys buying X-pipes or are you just going to muffler shop and having them fabricated?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Makin Lotsa Noise

I got mine fabricated based on an RDSport design, easy peasy to make.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:10 AM
I dnt drive fst, i fly lo

Mein Auto: 2006 750li
finally did it!

got my front and rear resonators removed but left the stock "x pipe" or whatever they call it. The sound and performance is unbelievable. Not to mention i only paid 150 out the door and i couldnt ask for more. Would have done the x-pipe but was running short on time.
Definately if you are looking for better performance and better sound do this, especially if you do not want the price tag of aftermarket exhaust. Yes, of course it is not the best, yet it is WAY better than stock.

P.S. I love it when i get rice rockets that pull a long side of me and rev their high pitched exhaust from their 4 bangers and then the look on their face when i open it up and they hear the beast. PRICELESS!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Makin Lotsa Noise

You got it right! She's a BEAST!