Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 07-07-2009, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 03 X5 4.4
e39 M5 questions

Ok newbie here. Well I have owned a few BMWs currently an X5 and recently sold an 840. But I am in the market for an E39 M5. I have searched a few threads and am more confused than before I started. I have seen a couple of M5s advertised as having the Sport Package. I was under the impression the sport package mostly consisted of suspension differences. Don't they all come with the same suspension? Or is there an option for a sports suspension on the M5? Second, does anyone really know what the Dinan software adds to performance, or are there different chips for different results? I had both the engine and transmission chip on the 840 and it was the smoothest shifting and running vehicle I ever owned. I think between the two it added about 10 hp and about the same in torque. What about performance adds for Dinan exhaust and cold air intake? One seller advertised a Dinan fly wheel, which I think was incorrect but what do I know?

Any thoughts or positive input would be greatly appreciated. Should I avoid a car with over 75K miles on it? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2009, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: E39 M5
you should head over to m5board.com for those specific questions and obtain more insightful information. im not aware what they mean when they say sport package cause most suspension on M5 are the same, assuming maybe upgraded shocks and maybe big brake kit. I believe Dinan software is added to make the most out of the Dinan hardware you buy for the car, the software sort of tune the car. The Dinan software may remove the 155mph limit but dont quote me on that.

Dinan Intake and Exhaust are good components. There are more hp charts at the site listed above.

Most people prefer cars with around 50,000 miles. I personally think cars with 70-90 thousand miles is where most of the maintenance work begins and little things starting to go. I actually prefer cars with 90,000 plus cause its cheap and most of the maintenance and brakes has been done given the owner can proof documentation.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 M5; 97 M3
Sport only refers to the seats (sport seats may be two tones, or one toned, but with a different material in the center section - the alt are single color "pleated" seats). There is not a suspension/brake difference between stock E39 M5s. M5Board is a great resource.

Dinan stage 1 software removes the top speed limiter, and tunes the car and throttle response a little. Don't expect much Hp gain. They have a lot of detail on their website. The Dinan exhaust sounds great (I have it and love it). The intake is veyr expensive, and if I didn't find one used, I wouldn't have bought it. There is a light weight dinan flywheel that is available.

Finding a sub 50K mi 2000-2003 M5 is going to be harder and harder. These cars are 6-9 years old, and most have moved on to at least their 2nd owners, who actually drove them, so they have some miles. Just look for the best maintained vehicle you can afford. And maintenace is going to be be way more than you expect. Including tires, I would set aside $2K a year to keep the car in top condition. You may not have to use all that every year, but plan for it.

"Control, Vision, Determination" These are the three fundamental components of the new generation race car driver!! SPEED is a by-product! -Memphis Raines