Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
P0440 trouble code.

Hello Everyone,

So I got the "Service Engine Soon" light while going for groceries this evening. Tried shutting the engine off and starting it again, no effect. I must mention though that I filled up the tank yesterday evening, the car was sitting at garage in the night and I drove quite a bit (about 60 kms in the morning and about 30 kms in afternoon) before the light came on. I drove again about 30 kms with the light on (did check the manual, it said it was safe to drive with SES on) and hooked up my scangauge to PBD port. It threw up code P0440, checked on internet and found nothing specific to X3 but other bimmers throw it as "evap purge" problem. Some say its related to gas cap being lose, I have checked it already. Anyway... I cleared the code, the light went off and I scanned it again. The code is still stored even with light off. Some forums do say that I must drive it for 40-50 kms before the code finally goes away and I will find that out by tomorrow evening. Most likely though I might have to take the car to dealership, but just wondering if anyone has any inputs/information/experience on this or similar problem. Even more crucial, does anyone know if this "evaporator" is covered under CPO warranty? I picked up a list of covered items from dealership but that does not mention the evaporator in particular, does mention fuel pump though.

Thanks in advance.
///M.

Last edited by enamoured; 07-07-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Even more crucial, does anyone know if this "evaporator" is covered under CPO warranty? I picked up a list of covered items from dealership but that does not mention the evaporator in particular, does mention fuel pump though.
"Evap." is short for evaporative emission system.
The reference to "purge" implies what you might remember as a charcoal cannister.
They used to be quite simple and visible, but are now generally more complex and hidden from view, somewhere in the area of the gas filler pipe/ gas tank.

Have had that code, and the similar P0442 (very small leak), on 2 different cars in the last couple of years.
And in both cases, the SES light came on the day after a fill up, and the gas cap appeared to be on properly.
Suspect that it might just be "bad" gas, as the light never came back on, after having to turn it off with an OBD2 reader.
I think the code stays around much longer than 50 miles, and can be seen by the dealership computer even a year later.
The P0440 code is something more than a very small leak, but I would assume that it was connected to that gas fill up until proven otherwise.
So if it does not come on again, don't worry about it.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Thank you Supercourse. You are a great help as always The SES light did not come up in my drive to office this morning. I scanned it again after reaching here and the code is still there. So I have booked an appointment for 24th with dealership, they did say it could be as small as a loose gas cap and it was safe to drive the car around with SES on. I saw in a forum that this code may cause the car to drop the performance and I definitely don't want that .
Old 07-17-2009, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 E550 Sedan
I have a 2007 X3 and I'm experiencing something very similar. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on a couple times last month and stayed lit for about a week each time. It came on again this past week and I am headed to the dealership today to get it looked it.

I noticed a pattern....the light came on when I was accelerating to merge onto the highway, and as soon as the "SES" light came on I could literally feel the engine lose some of its power (it even had a different sound to it) and the transmission started acting very strange.

I can pretty much guarantee the light is not from a loose gas cap. I'm the only one that fills it up and I make sure the gas cap "clicks." I'll see what the dealer says and post an update when I get back.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
SES light can mean a 1 million codes. Its a generic indicator that something is wrong. The dealer is your friend. An OBDII unfortunately will not always detect all the codes a BMW will throw, you will need their tool to do that.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 E550 Sedan
**UPDATE**

Got the X3 back from the dealer in about an hour. They checked for faults and found "FC FOR KNOCK SENSOR...NEEDS NEW ORDERED SENSORS"

They said they need to order the part, which should arrive in a week. They also said it was okay to drive it until then.