Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Dinan Software

Hello everyone. I'm curious to see if anyone has any experience with the Dinan Stage 3 Performance Engine Software. I am planning on buying one along with the high flow throttle body. What kind of performance should I expect with these two upgrades? My X3 is a 2005 2.5i just out of warranty.

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 07-09-2009, 01:51 AM
about the mini part....

Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592
Mein Auto: E90 M-tech, E30 M-tech
I've wondered the samething myself, but I have the 3.0. What I like about Dinan is that it doesn't void the warrenty. While we are on the subject of performance, has anyone supercharged their X3?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicrazy592 View Post
I've wondered the samething myself, but I have the 3.0. What I like about Dinan is that it doesn't void the warrenty. While we are on the subject of performance, has anyone supercharged their X3?

I thought Dinan chip changes DID void the warranty. In fact BMWNA would have you believe that making any changes would void the warranty although the magnuson-moss warranty act says otherwise.

Is there a definitive posting that covers this?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 07-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 3.5, 2004 330CiC
Howdy-

I have an '04 X3 3.0 6MT with the Dinan CAI, Stage II s/w, and free-flow exhaust, good for a nominal 11 HP & 9 ft/lbs of torque. All in all, I 've found this to be a worthwhile (though a bit pricey) upgrade. The CAI is fairlly quiet, and the exhaust gives it a nice, sporty burble around town, but is completely transparent at highway speeds (no boom, no drone, which is a good thing). The software does crisp-up throttle response and raises the rev limit a couple hundred rpm, and my mpg actually went up 1-2 mpg in normal driving (though it willget thirsty if you're on it a lot). The HP/torq gain is noticeable, but nothing dramatic (given that I'm @ 7000' in Santa Fe, every little bit helps). The bigger throttle body & s/w will be another step up, though at the expen$e of gas mileage, and if you're going to upgrade the intput side, you should also consider the output (exhaust) side to get the full benefit. FWIW, HTH, YMMV.
Cheers, M2
Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
IIRC, adding Dinan software will not void the warranty if performed at a BMW authorized dealer. If a consumer installs it, yes it will void it.
There is not a lot one can do to these engines to get major increases in performance other than a supercharger. I did look into this a couple of years ago, and there was not one available for the X3 3.0i right off the shelf. It would have to be a custom install and I did not want to bother with that. There WAS one for the 2.5i, but I think there was an issue on availability, or it was under development at the time.
The Dinan software/TB/Intake/Exhaust is probably the easiest way to get 20 more HP, but is costly (upwards of $3000). So the question comes down to is it worth it to you to get an additional 20 HP?

Just looked and a TB/exhaust/stage 3 software are around $2200 PLUS installation. Add an intake for another $300 or so. I would venture to guess it would be $3500-4000 with installation.

Last edited by Mystic1; 07-09-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
There is at least one company that configures a blower for the X3. It raises the output from 225 to 305 hp, which should be a noticable increase IMHO. That company is esstuning.com, I don't know if Dinan's blower has been fitted to the X3 yet but I suspect it has. As far as chipping etc the X3, as far as I can tell this is not legal in CA (thank you CARB!) and the only mod that is approved is the cat back exhaust. I don't believe the full flow air box replacement is even legal. The K&N type insert filter to the stock box is OK.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
There is at least one company that configures a blower for the X3. It raises the output from 225 to 305 hp, which should be a noticable increase IMHO. That company is esstuning.com, I don't know if Dinan's blower has been fitted to the X3 yet but I suspect it has. As far as chipping etc the X3, as far as I can tell this is not legal in CA (thank you CARB!) and the only mod that is approved is the cat back exhaust. I don't believe the full flow air box replacement is even legal. The K&N type insert filter to the stock box is OK.
EES is the company I looked at a couple of years ago. Glad to see one available now for the 3.0i. If warranty is of no concern, that would be the way to go to get the most power out of the X3. Dinan still isn't showing a SC for the X3 on their website, so I assume it isn't out yet.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it!

I also have considered a supercharger but I'm not 100% sure if it's worth it with an automatic transmission. What do you guys think?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it!

I also have considered a supercharger but I'm not 100% sure if it's worth it with an automatic transmission. What do you guys think?
It will pretty much give you the same results whether it's an auto or manual. 80 HP is 80 HP.
Dinan's 20 HP for an estimated $2500 plus install, or 80 HP for $5,500 plus install. If you are handy, both can pretty much be installed by you to save quite a bit on labor. $/HP, the SC is the best bang for the buck.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic1 View Post
It will pretty much give you the same results whether it's an auto or manual. 80 HP is 80 HP.
Dinan's 20 HP for an estimated $2500 plus install, or 80 HP for $5,500 plus install. If you are handy, both can pretty much be installed by you to save quite a bit on labor. $/HP, the SC is the best bang for the buck.
Yeah you're right. It makes more sense to get the supercharger. It would probably be easier to buy a car with more NA power, but then again we are talking about an X3 here. Who would want to sell their X3, right?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic1 View Post
IIRC, adding Dinan software will not void the warranty if performed at a BMW authorized dealer.
I believe it is more accurate to say that replacing the BMW software with Dinan software will indeed void the BMW warranty, but that Dinan matches the BMW warranty with their own. And if you have a problem with a Dinan product and take it to an authorized BMW/Dinan dealer, the fix should be seamless -- i.e., if the defect is a BMW component, BMW will pay and if the defect is a Dinan component, Dinan will pay.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
Is it possible to add Dinan's 20 HP & the 80 HP from the Super Charger? Can you do both?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Dinan Software and Tranny Issues

If the tranny issues are due to a software problem is it possible replacing the BMW software with the Dinan software might resolve the issues? or have I totally got my wires crossed?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 S/C Z3M Roadster
performance upgrades

I have a 05 3.0L 6-speed X3 and I installed software and an AFE cold air intake from Braverian Auto Sport and it has improved the drivabilaty as well as a small increase in power -much better acceleration . -well worth the approx. $800.00 it cost. I also have a Remus muffler -Great sound under hard acceleration.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:04 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
I believe it is more accurate to say that replacing the BMW software with Dinan software will indeed void the BMW warranty, but that Dinan matches the BMW warranty with their own. And if you have a problem with a Dinan product and take it to an authorized BMW/Dinan dealer, the fix should be seamless -- i.e., if the defect is a BMW component, BMW will pay and if the defect is a Dinan component, Dinan will pay.
When I had BMW install a Dinan cold air intake and chip program on my old Z3, the warranty did NOT become invalid. Did something change now? This was a few years ago.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!

Last edited by madurodave; 01-20-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Bleed blue and white

Send a message via Yahoo to T1T2GRE
Mein Auto: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
1) I think these upgrades are for sub-2006 E83s.
2) Be careful w/Dinan. Not because they are intrinsically problematic, but I had a long talk w/my dealer about Dinan. They used to install/work w/Dinan frequently but have since abandoned it. Per the dealer, dealing w/Dinan became a PITA, so the dealership is VERY wary of doing Dinan stuff now. They don't come out and say "don't do it" but I think you may find yourself in trouble if you are expecting some leniency w/respect to warranty.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:37 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Clean Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3lemon View Post
If the tranny issues are due to a software problem is it possible replacing the BMW software with the Dinan software might resolve the issues? or have I totally got my wires crossed?
I am sorely pressed to buy into the premise that the issue with the tranny is strictly software.

If this was the case then a vehicle that does not have the transmission problem could simply be compared to one that does. They wouldn't even have to know what the differences are. Just copy it over.

There are several 07's out there that apparently are trouble free. Simple engineering 101 would use this as the most efficient solution. Find out what makes them right and apply to the one's that are wrong.

My hypothesis is that it is a design flaw due to high tolerance specs. The germans are historically renowned for making flawless machinary, but should one piece be out of spec it becomes severely problematic. The software either minimizes are maximizes the problem, but never truly fixes it.

In essence I would want a clean slate before adding a high performance product.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 01-20-2010, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
If you are interested in Dinan software or equipment give them a call. They are "real folks" and have always been very helpful to me when I have questions. I have used them for routine maintentance/repairs on "out of warranty" BMW's for years. Never had a problem they didn't bend over backward to resolve, and that included one difficult ignition issue with the wife's old 3 series that had 3 mechs and Steve Dinan all under the hood until they got it fixed. Now to me, that's service.

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-20-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
Same here...I've had great service with DINAN. I drive a 2006 X3 with the DINAN Performance Engine Software (Product Number: D900-31X) and am looking to add the following:

High Flow Throttle Body
Product Number: D760-3300A

Stage 3 Engine Software
Product Number: D903-31X3

Replacement Air Filter for High Flow Intake
Product Number: D401-0001