Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-27-2001, 06:32 PM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Just got back from DC auto show

Despite the billing as the "Coolest Auto Show in the World," the DC show is actually pretty lame. Coming as it does at the end of the 01 season, a couple of weeks before Detroit, LA and Chicago 02, there were no really new products available (other than the 03 Town Car). The concept cars were basically leftovers from the big 01 shows, and some of the most important "concepts" (the RX-8, the 350Z, etc.) were absent entirely.

The only interesting product that I was seeing for the first time was the CTS. In person (and in black) it does not look as overly tall and tippy as it does in pictures. It's not on my short list, but is a worthy effort nonetheless from a company too used to never taking any chances.

The one (big) advantage of the DC show over NAIAS is the crowd (or lack thereof). Despite the draw of the WWF's former CHYNA, the crowds were sparse.

The BMW stand had a Topaz Z8, a black X5 4.6is, a 325xiT, a 325i, an absolutely gorgeous CB/cinnabar M3C, and a 330Ci in something called "Japanrot," which I assume must be Electric Red.

Here are some pics, though only a couple, since my roadfly account is getting full.

Last edited by JST; 12-27-2001 at 06:53 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-27-2001, 06:36 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
So, is it worth even dropping by this weekend?
Old 12-27-2001, 07:18 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Sounds worse than last year and I was in the market for a new car. Was going to hit the show tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I'll skip it now.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:26 PM

I'm not sorry I went, and there are some interesting cars there. It was nice to finally see the A4 up close and in the metal, for example (and, FWIW, I sat in one and think I prefer the old interior to the new). If you enjoy just walking around and looking at cars, it's worth the trip and the 8 bucks. However, if you are interested in going just to see some of the latest concepts, you should probably skip it.

Personally, seeing the CB/Cin M3 was almost worth the price of admission for me. CB is a *hot* color, very subtle yet distinctive. I thought cin would be too orange, but with the CB it looks right. I'm not sure I'd order this combo if I were spec'ing out a car, since I suspect it may date it (as in, that car is so 2002), but it is nice to look at.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
Thanks for the review. I may go take a look.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Old 12-28-2001, 11:14 AM
I'm a Mac

Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport
i was gonna' go today, but we got back from CH late last night,

so maybe sat/sun (or not at all?) instead...

why no rx-8 or 350z? rat bastards!

Current: 2003 540iA M-sport
Previous: 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Old 12-29-2001, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto:
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We all benfit from the observations and insights of other board members.
Mike
Old 12-29-2001, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto:
I spent Friday afternoon at the show -- enjoyed it less than last year, but I still had a good time.
Always manage to pick up a few tidbits of information from talking to the company rep's.
For example, I didn't realize that a sunroof is not an option in the WRX. Nor that Vehicle Skid Control is unavailable on the IS300 5M.
If you're not observant they'll trip you up, too. For example, the Audi A4 3.0 on the platform has sport package wheels....but doesn't have the sport package. Audi just switched the wheels for the show.
Still not enough for you -- don't forget all those attractive models of the non car variety.
Old 12-29-2001, 10:32 AM
I'm a Mac

Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport
I was planning to go (haven't missed one in 5 years),

but it sounds like a drag. Think I'll just skip it this year.

Current: 2003 540iA M-sport
Previous: 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Old 12-29-2001, 03:34 PM

The lack of a sunroof on the WRX is a bit of a drag. I've seen them with aftermarket roofs installed, but even the high-end, OEM sourced aftermarket roofs can cause unpleasant problems. I've also read that the sunroof (and the folding seats) were intentionally left off for structural rigidity reasons, but I don't know how much truth there is to that.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto:
You're right.
I had to go thru no less than three of the Subaru representatives to find one that could answer that question.
She said the regular Impreza is available with the sunroof, but the WRX has some additional cage-tubing which would be compomised by cutting a hole in the roof.
Haven't confirmed this yet, but it sounds reasonable.
Doubt the IIHS would ever crash test BOTH an Impreza and a WRX, but it would be cool to see if any differences in the structures were evident.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:00 AM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S, NSX
I think having no sunroof on the WRX is going a little overboard.

I've actually thought about trying one out as a 3rd car but when I found out it had no sunroof, I decided not to even go and trest drive it.

I think a sunroof is important and shouldn't be left out . . . how much structual integrity can be gained by this that you'll feel on the street ?
Old 12-30-2001, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Sounds like the same show that was in Boston about a month back...the Porsche display was great, with the center piece being the GT2 - awesome car!

Also, a few nice exotics, like the Saleen S7, Lotus Esprit (still a hot looking car) and the Astin Martin DB 5 and 7. The Astins are beautiful cars....
Old 12-30-2001, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto:
Personally, I don't give a rodent's behind about a sunroof, but I agree it seems a little extreme not to offer one at all.
You know what's funny? The first representative I asked said that Subaru didn't feel a luxury item like a sunroof was necessary in a rally car.
But, I asked, how do you explain the veggie-matic transmission option?
She didn't have all the answers, but she was certainly cute.