Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 07-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: corvette
BMW or Porsche

Which car will cost more in the long run to keep, the new 2009 bmw z4 s35i or the 987 boxster s?
Ads by Google
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0 si
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdj89 View Post
Which car will cost more in the long run to keep, the new 2009 bmw z4 s35i or the 987 boxster s?
free maintenance on the bimmer.

i have an 06 z4 si and not a single problem

Silver/Black
Premium/Sport/Auto/Xenon/Bluetooth/Heated Seats
Old 07-24-2009, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: Mixed
Quote:
Cost of ownership would include original purchase price, cost of maintenance and repairs, fuel, and, minus in the end what you get for the car if you sold it.

Cost of Ownership
Depending on how you outfit either car, the boxster could potentially cost a lost more than a fully optioned z4. I did a price comparison between a z4 35i vs a Cayman the other day. A z4 35i pretty much maxes out around $70,000 USD. The Caymen hit $90,000 USD and I could have pushed it to $100,000.

Maintenance and Repairs
The 1st four years at least in the US, the cost would be virtually $0. I say virtually because there is always some cost because nothing is free even if you have to drive the car to the dealer, or whatever. So, there are some potential costs with the Z4, but they would be very minimal unless you did something stupid that voided your warranty. The Porsche on the other hand has your typical new car warranty but you have to pay for oil changes, plug changes, etc., all of which are very expensive.

Fuel
I'm guessing here but imagine fuel costs are about the same.

Resale
That's sort of subjective. BMW brags about it's resale value but I was reading a post the other day and the OP complained the dealer wasn't willing to give him very much for his car in trade - could be the economy, who knows, but that would be the same for all expensive cars. The adds I've scanned lately for Cayman's and 911 indicate their used car values drop about the average.

Overall, the Z4 35i would win the cost of ownership contest easily compared to a Porsche, with BMW's warranty playing a major role in that calculation. Somehow, I think BMW had that in mind.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 07-24-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 35i
This is a tough one. I am sort of on the same boat, but as someone here already indicated there is the infamous Boxster oil changes.

Plus to be honest, the Boxster is really showing its age. But that being said, I am not sure the i35 is worth $60K+!! For a few more grand you can get yourself a proper M3.

Last edited by gotoschoolhere; 08-26-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Htd Seats = 4-season vert

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR
Quote:
Boxster S. More difficult maintenence, and higher hourly labor & parts costs.