Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-05-2016, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Copper based Anti Seize/Lubricant question for brake job

I'm getting ready to change brake pads and rotors, and have seen conflicting advice on the lubricants to use.

1) Like many others, I had trouble getting the wheels off-- eventually solved with a sledgehammer, but would have been a problem on the side of the road. Bavauto's video recommends using Liqui moly LM 508 copper based Anti-seize on the wheel hub and around the rim of the wheel. Is this ok? After I purchased it, I've seen opinions that the copper based antiseize could react negatively with aluminum on the wheel.

2) Similarly, I'm using Meyle rotors, which have a zinc powder coating. Meyle's video (in German) specifically states no copper lubricants should be used. Does anyone have a recommendation on whether to use another type (e.g. aluminum anti seize) or just put it on dry? Old rotors were tough to remove (I've already cleaned up the wheel hub with wire brush).

3) I've heard good things about ATE plastilube or other Silicon based lubes (3m Silicone Paste) for the calipers grooves. I also have usual brake grease. Any opinions on what works best? Do you lube the caliper pins or just clean them up and leave them dry? Replace the caliper boots or reuse?

4) Anyone using anti-seize on caliper bolts or lug nuts? I understand that could lead to overtightening...

Thanks to all for your support.
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2016, 07:56 PM
BM and V dub love!

Mein Auto: '04 Phaeton,' 06 X3
I just use marine grease on the wheel mating surfaces.

The pad grooves in the bracket don't really need lubed, but the slide pins do and for those I use Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube.

Sent from my Chroma Nexus 6
Old 08-05-2016, 09:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
Copper based Anti Seize/Lubricant question for brake job

Make sure you sand the rust off the hub.

Far easier to break the wheels free is to loosen the lugs, then drive the car a few feet back and forth, stabbing the brakes hard. When you jack it up and pull the lugs, the wheels will fall off.

I don't use any coating on the hubs, and I've never had a problem with stuck wheels on my own car. Rotate the tires every 5-10k miles and neither will you, plus getting the added benefit of inspecting brake and suspension components for wear.

Last edited by dukedkt442; 08-11-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
I use aluminum based anti seize on lug nuts, wheel faces, caliper slides, pins

I'm in the slushy, salty wet Northeast. Even rotating my tires every 10k I've had them be mildly stuck, but never more than a kick to get them off.

In warm dry climates you can skip all this stuff if you want

BMW says no grease on brakes from the factory, I'm told. My dealer here in NY does not follow their advice, nor do the independents

Don't torque lubed lug nuts to dry spec, but 60% of spec

Rotors usually need to be bashed off, they sit stuck for 5 years +

No need to replace seals unless damaged. BMW quality is high.

You might get some discoloration from Al and Cu in proximity but you don't have electrolyte to make a battery, so I wouldn't worry about that. Worst case, try it and inspect in a month to see if it's reacting or just go with Permatex Aluminum based antoseize

Last edited by abscate; 08-06-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
I smear nickel or copper anti-seize all over the rotor/hub to avoid the wheels from getting stuck on. It works, and I live in moderate winter areas with alot of salt.

I use the same anti-seize on all the bolts I take off when doing wheel/brake/suspension work. Copper or nickel dont matter. It works all the same and saves you alot of frustration. Go to local store, get a large bottle with brush attached to the cap. You dont need to get anything fancy.

Last edited by bluskye; 08-10-2016 at 01:00 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
anti-seize, brake calipers, brake discs, brake rotors, copper, lubricants

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search