Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645cic
Lightbulb Convertible top fix.....Maybe?

Well after 5 replacement sensors and numerous bracket adjustments, I started my car yesterday and got the dreaded " Convertible Top Unlocked Error" again. So I brought my car to my service adviser and he said he would call me after they cooled it down, then heated it up, then cooled it down to see how much they needed to adjust the sensor. This is the same procedure BMW recommended the last 5 times so needless to say I wasn't that enthusiastic about the outcome. To my surprise I get a call from my adviser and he informed me that a BMW field engineer was at his dealership and recommended that the entire roof frame be replaced! Not only on my car but also on a M6 that was in for the same issue. He said this has been done to other cars and it solves the problem. I'll have to wait until I get it back, but if it does fix it I think everyone with this problem should request their service adviser to look into this fix. The weather here has been over 90 degrees all summer and we have had a number of 100+ days. So if you live in this type of climate, the sensor adjust may not work because of our huge swing in temperature form winter when its 30 degrees for a low, to this extreme heat we are experiencing now. I hope this helps someone because its a great car, but this issue is very disheartening!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Please do post if it is working for you. I took mine in for try #5 two weeks ago and got the warning AGAIN this week.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Other dealers are idiots.

If you could, please, include some contact information for other members to call and speak to if they have the same issue and the dealer won't do the roof frame replacement.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
BMWNA Phishing these boards for Service Revenue?

Hello, After posting that my 2005 645 is experiencing the dreaded intermittent roof alarm, I was contacted by BMWNA. After explaining the trouble and that the warranty was up this past March, they told me "sorry we can not help you"! Take the car to our dealers for a service repair. I went on to voice my concern that based on the forum complaints and BMW's inability to fix the alarms that I feel they should look into fixing my issue under a customer concession. They replied that it was just chatter on the forums and there is no recall. They again told me sorry you'll have to take it to the dealership.

So what was the point in contact me? I really thought wow they are going to stand behind their product knowing that these roof alarms are a real concern to the consumers.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy7790 View Post
Hello, After posting that my 2005 645 is experiencing the dreaded intermittent roof alarm, I was contacted by BMWNA. After explaining the trouble and that the warranty was up this past March, they told me "sorry we can not help you"! Take the car to our dealers for a service repair. I went on to voice my concern that based on the forum complaints and BMW's inability to fix the alarms that I feel they should look into fixing my issue under a customer concession. They replied that it was just chatter on the forums and there is no recall. They again told me sorry you'll have to take it to the dealership.

So what was the point in contact me? I really thought wow they are going to stand behind their product knowing that these roof alarms are a real concern to the consumers.
Really sad. Especially the so called 6 seriers flag ship.

Lesson learned. This is the only 6 I will ever own.

Kia service at Neiman Marucs prices.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: Honda S2000, BMW 650i
My suggestion is that you call BMWNA and suggest that your car is a lemon and ask them to put you through the Lemon Law process. Assuming that you have documented with your dealership the fact that this has been the SAME issue every time, they have to go back to the car's mileage at the first incident for your claim.

I had my 650 for almost three years and got back 95% of my purchase price through this process, with very little push-back from BMW NA. Sorry to say that this issue will keep me from buying another 6er as I really loved the car, but can't deal with being unable to lock the car (safety issue) when the top malfunctions.

Good luck.

Last edited by KidK; 07-20-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 AM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimguidry View Post
Well after 5 replacement sensors and numerous bracket adjustments, I started my car yesterday and got the dreaded " Convertible Top Unlocked Error" again. So I brought my car to my service adviser and he said he would call me after they cooled it down, then heated it up, then cooled it down to see how much they needed to adjust the sensor. This is the same procedure BMW recommended the last 5 times so needless to say I wasn't that enthusiastic about the outcome. To my surprise I get a call from my adviser and he informed me that a BMW field engineer was at his dealership and recommended that the entire roof frame be replaced! Not only on my car but also on a M6 that was in for the same issue. He said this has been done to other cars and it solves the problem. I'll have to wait until I get it back, but if it does fix it I think everyone with this problem should request their service adviser to look into this fix. The weather here has been over 90 degrees all summer and we have had a number of 100+ days. So if you live in this type of climate, the sensor adjust may not work because of our huge swing in temperature form winter when its 30 degrees for a low, to this extreme heat we are experiencing now. I hope this helps someone because its a great car, but this issue is very disheartening!
I am with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: RR Sport SC, GL450

2012 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes GL450

2010 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 HP SC

2006 Black Sapphire Metallic 650i 6MT SOLD

2008 White Diamond Tricoat Cadillac Escalade SOLD
Old 07-24-2009, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Damn it! it's about time someone tried to really get you some help kimguidry! Luckly since they replace a couple of sensors about a year and a half ago, I have not had any more issue with mine. seems like the heat is driving these sensors crazy, which makes me wonder who buys a convertable to drive in the winter

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 07-25-2009, 05:34 AM

I'm still waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo645 View Post
Damn it! it's about time someone tried to really get you some help kimguidry! Luckly since they replace a couple of sensors about a year and a half ago, I have not had any more issue with mine. seems like the heat is driving these sensors crazy, which makes me wonder who buys a convertable to drive in the winter
Thanks for your concern. I'm still waiting for my car. I brought it in on the 15th of July. I spoke to my service adviser and he said it would be at least another week for the replacement parts to get here then it will take some time to install the new top. I got a call from the BMW Representative but she didn't say much. She just asked questions about how things were going. I asked her to send me a follow up email but I never received anything. As a matter of fact, she didn't seem to know much about the car or anything about the top problems. I'm taking a wait and see attitude about this, I hope it gets fixed soon.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:51 AM

I contacted BMWNA as well about my top and was called back the next day. The regional service guy came to my dealership on Friday and showed them a new procedure to adjust the sensors. According to my SA, the new procedure allows them to adjust the sensors more than the procedure they've been using in the past (not sure what all that means, but OK - you can do more now about the problem... I get it). So after visit #6 for this problem I take it home today - they put the car through the wash so the outside looked nice - and decided to vaccuum and detail the inside. Down comes the top for better access to the car, and when I put the top up...

I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM

I put a call back into my SA and BMWNA. I'm truly understanding that this is can be somewhat a trial and error methodology to find the right sensor setting, but having to take a car in for the 7th time to fix the problem is ridiculous.

Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 07-28-2009, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
TopDown,
Is your car still under factory warranty or is BMW doing this as a customer concession?

I have an 05' 645 that is out of warranty and BMWNA was no help. According to BMWNA these forum complaints are "just chatter" or noise, no real serious problems?????

G
Old 07-28-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm in CPO at this point (which covers ths problem), but have had the problem for nearly a year now (putting me well back into original warranty).

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 08-11-2009, 05:42 AM

Still Waiting

I brought my 6 in for repair of the "top unlocked problem" over a month ago. I still haven't received my car. I call every day and either the service dept. didn't order the right parts or the technician was sick and didn't come to work. I am so tired of this situation and I think its time to get my lawyer involved. The ironic part is I am the General Manager of a car dealership! I have been very patient because I know how difficult repairs can be, but this reeks of incompetence or a problem beyond the capability of BMW to repair. I have not heard from BMW North America to follow up on my problem as promised, and we do have consumer right legislation in my state that will give me substantial relief in this matter.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335I vert
Good luck dealing with BMW NA, I feel your pain, The E93 is a real POS
Look at my water leak video
Old 08-14-2009, 09:29 PM

Update: Brought mine in for the 7th time and was told that this time "they've got it". All was good the first three times the top went up, but today sadly, it happened again. Bringing it in for the 8th time in over a year. I love this car and have alot of patience, but this is plain silly for sensor issue. Turn the blasted thing off or something.

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 08-15-2009, 06:31 AM

I know your fear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
Update: Brought mine in for the 7th time and was told that this time "they've got it". All was good the first three times the top went up, but today sadly, it happened again. Bringing it in for the 8th time in over a year. I love this car and have alot of patience, but this is plain silly for sensor issue. Turn the blasted thing off or something.
I know what you are going through. you look at the button, you feel as if your playing a slot machine, "will it go down this time?" so you push it and hope the windows go down. It's like that old game show Jokers Wild "come on! big money no whammy! LOL" I can't express my distrust of this system in words. I thought the car I replaced with this 6 series, a Lexus SC430 had an weird top mechanism, but it never failed. If you can have features like night vision or radar cruise on BMW cars, then someone in R & D should be able to find a fix that works!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:40 PM

I've already had BMW's regional service guy involved. He showed the foreman working on my car a new procedure to adjust the sensor "even more" than with the "old" procedure. And yet I still have the problem.

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 08-20-2009, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Man. This really sucks! I have to knock on wood though that I have been lucky so far with mine. They did sensor replacement a few years back on mine and never had any issues since. I am following this topic because I am looking to get into the market for an M6 vert but not sure if I would get a problem ragtop like what you guys are experiencing. I would really be pissed! Hope you guys get to enjoy the car fully man without anxiety.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 08-20-2009, 01:09 PM

Took my car in for adjustment #8. I do have to admit that this last time, it was a different experience with the sensor problem - almost like it was finally on the verge of just working (go figure!). I'm thinking (and hoping) it will be working fine when I pick it up tomorrow am. You know exactly what I'll be trying the moment I pick it up... Top down, top up.

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 PM

UPDATE: Went to pick up my car yesterday morning, hopeful it was finally fixed. I got into my car and went to press the button to put the top down... oh wait - the button is flashing. Son-of-a-bitch... it's NOT fixed! I got my loaner back and left it there for (technically) visit #9. Talked to my SA - they're needing to get the reginal guy involved again.

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 08-22-2009, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: Future 6 Series Owner
I'm not buying a 6 until they finally develop a fix for this. I can foresee buying one, running into this problem, and beginning to hate the car right away... It's amazing to me that BMW has yet to develop a permanent fix for this!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:45 PM

Tip from my techniian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
UPDATE: Went to pick up my car yesterday morning, hopeful it was finally fixed. I got into my car and went to press the button to put the top down... oh wait - the button is flashing. Son-of-a-bitch... it's NOT fixed! I got my loaner back and left it there for (technically) visit #9. Talked to my SA - they're needing to get the reginal guy involved again.
Today I tried to drop the newly installed top on my 6. Well I got the "red light of death" top is inoperable! I remembered what the tech at the BMW dealership told me when I picked up the car. He said if it won't go down, turn on the A/C cool the car down, then the sensor will operate the top. I tried it and it worked! the top is still messed up, but in a pinch you should try it to get the top to work.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:19 AM
Greg

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci convertible
How common is this problem. TopDown and Kim you two are having a terrible time with this issue. I joined bimmerfest and started reading threads about a week before I picked up my car. When I looked at the service records on my car I was looking for top down service issues but didn't see any. So far, I've been fortunate the top has operated great....I hope it continues.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGMc View Post
How common is this problem.
Besides Kim and me, I think I've only seen two or three others mention having the issue. I don't see it as "common" but it *is* a known problem in the 6. I had two 3er verts and never had issues with their soft tops (which largely use the same kind of top design). I'm being EXTREMELY patient here, as my plan is (almost put "was" - Fruedian slip?) to keep the car for another 3-4 years with the CPO warranty expiring in a year. So I'm partially fine with every problem coming up now while there still plenty of warranty (better to have it now than 2 years from now...).

All in all though, it sucks and I'm tring to figure out what is a reasonable compensation for 9 trips to get the same problem fixed. I don't mean the kind where people start demanding all kinds of outlandish stuff, just a truly reasonable fix for the fact that I've had to go to the dealership 9 times, take time out of my day, etc. And who should provide such compensation? The dealership? BMWNA?

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan