Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Taking the plunge

Mein Auto: Nothing
New Member, Hopefully New Owner Soon

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking here for a day or two. I graduated from college last year and I've been working since June 14. I've been looking for a decent used car for a little while and I was surprised to see how affordable a used 3-series was. Started researching and I'm pretty sold on the idea now. I'm so grateful for the wonderful resource you guys have put together here and I look forward to becoming a fellow Bimmer owner

See ya round the boards.
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2015, 11:09 PM
Taking the plunge

Mein Auto: Nothing
So after some initial difficulty in not going out and buying an E46 for $3k off Craigslist I've finally taken the plunge.

I bought a 2003 325i with 140k miles for $5,500 (). The car has 2 POs and it's basically all stock. No accidents. Wood trim but no other upgrades it seems. It pulls to the right.

The clutch is smooth (but I haven't driven a manual in 5 or 6 years) and the idle is too. Drove about 120 miles back from dealership with no issues. Just got back from a couple hours of joy riding and still no problems. Temp gauge stayed in the middle the whole time. Hopefully this will continue. The shifter itself seems a little stiff in general. Coming out of reverse the shift lever seems to "pop" past/over something into neutral. Anyone else had something like this going on?

The exterior is in pretty good condition. 2 small rust strips (like the paint with cut with a knife or something) and a bit of rust on the rear driver side wheel well. Some small paint flaking right under the driver's door handle.

Electronics all seem to be in working order (for the time being). Moonroof works but the shade under it is off the track.

Turning on the rear defrost causes the radio to get staticy and loses it's signal. I didn't notice this during the test drive. Does this sound like something that will become a bigger problem in the future?

Interior leather is used and it shows. No holes or anything but it's 12 years old and it shows. AC and heater seems to be working just fine. Seat belts have fraying and generally don't look good. Seat heaters work well.

At this moment (~11 hours after purchase) I'm happy and wanted to share! I have some pics but they didn't come out well. Will follow up soon with better quality pics once I learn how to use my phone camera better.

Please tell me if you think I got ripped

Last edited by ottoborden; 03-15-2015 at 12:10 AM.