Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW z3M
Question Trunk trouble has me coming to best BMW site

Hello fellow Bimmerfest members,
I've not been member of a BMW site before so I hope I post this correctly...
I'm a 50 year old lady with her first 1998 BMWz3 M SERIES (don't know if its a TRUE M,but it has some features of 1)
I've driven Detroit Muscle cars all my life and really enjoy this present car all the more now that I don't want to work on my ride all the time.
I love this car so much more.No problems in the past two years.Miles-his name-has been a pleasure to drive.I know now why BMW has such dedicated and passionate owners.MILAGE was 140,000 when I purchased him 2 years ago ,now it's 158,000.Oh but today I picked up 2large pan pizzas and put them in the trunk .When I got home guess what? Even tho I didn't lock the trunk It WONT open. So here I am, on my way to a repair

Last edited by Loopycann; 04-05-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Too much icons
Ads by Google
Old 04-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I hope this is the easy solution. Check the position of the slot on the lock button ... if it is horizontal pushing the button will not actuate the trunk lock - it has to be in the vertical position.

Current:
2013 535xDrive
1998 Z3 2.8
Past:
2007 530xi
2001 740i
1998 740i
1994 740i
1986 524TD

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!
Mr. Rebates
Old 04-09-2014, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW z3M
Thank you so much for your reply.Seems I had the top down and when I put the pizza in the trunk and turned the engine off when I got to my destination,the trunk automatically locked itself.I had the key that you give to your service provider(mechanic,valet, etc.)so it dosent open trunk area or glovebox.Thus even tho the lock looked unlocked,the mechanism was lock on the inside electronically.Once I found my long lost key at home the trunk unlocked with a left right left motion.No where on the internet does it have this information of it locking the trunk automatically if the top is down.There is a lot of remedies of drilling holes under the emblem. I wonder if this is similar to what they were experiencing?