Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 316i E36/2 1995
Clean MAF to stabilise idle speed BMW E36 316i 1995 Compact

See Post below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2168.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	522161  

Last edited by CraigAWilliams; Today at 03:35 AM. Reason: improved photo in next post below this one
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2015, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 316i E36/2 1995
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW MAF.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	522185
The MAF is directly underneath the can of CRC MAF Cleaner, notice I have disconnected the electrical harness already

If your tachometer needle is not steady i.e. it goes up and down at idle, commonly called "hunting" buy CRC MAF cleaner from Supercheap Auto for $27 and thoroughly spray both open ends of the MAF.
1) Undo the four clips which hold on the Air Filter Box and disconnect the electrical wiring harness to the MAF by unscrewing it anti-clockwise
2) undo the stainless steel utilux screw clamp for the inlet hose and remove this assembly. You do not need to undo the four bolts which hold the MAF to the Air Filter Box.
3) There is a flap which pivots inside the MAF, gently push this with your finger to check it operates freely. If it is sticking, even just a little bit, this could cause the problem
4) Spray copious amounts of MAF Cleaner around this flap and its pivot point.
5) Also spray in from the other side, be generous, then shake out all the excess fluid
6) Allow to dry in the sun for 30 mins
7) Re-assemble
8) Start the engine, rev it up and see if this has helped. The computer needs to "re-learn" so drive around for a while and then check it again the next morning if necessary. I found by the end of the next day it was much better.

Last edited by CraigAWilliams; 07-28-2015 at 09:37 PM.