Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: New York
Looking for an honest dealer in tri-state

Just got back from the dealership where I got my last lease. Original CA isnt there anymore and this new CA was totally trying to rip me off.

Basically she was pricing a 2009 335xi w/ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, Nav,Ipod&USB and Alum trim...thats all for MSRP of $52800 (This car has a slightly lower MSRP because its apparently been on the lot for 8 months?)

Shes pricing me at $50,400, which she worked out to $672 per month incl taxes (7%). MF of .00145 and Res of 59% (12k miles). Im responsible for 1st month, $725 bank fee and $145 DMV up-front.

She kept telling me it was a "couple hundred" over invoice. When I asked her what invoice was she refused to tell me. Then when I told her that I had invoice #s she told me they are wrong and that the true invoice number is $1500 higher?? I told her the invoice should be about $48500.

My business is available to whoever wants it. Im looking for Alpine/Coral Red or Monaco/Beige. Have to have ZPP, ZCW, Nav...would really like Aluminum trim, ZSP, PDC, comfort access, IPOD. I think $500 over invoice is fair as this is an easy deal (but hey, thats just my opinion).

Please PM me.

Im sorry if this is the wrong place for this.
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335 coupe
Hello,
I used a board sponser here on bimmerfest, BMW of Bloomfield ( Ivan Romero). I live in south jersey near phila and tried a few dealers locally and had no luck, they tried to add extra fees, mark up money factor,etc ( the usual tricks) but Ivan did not try any of those things, it was a straightforward transaction and i would recommend BMW of Bloomfield for a straight forward fair deal. Do your homework of course so you know what you want to pay for the car, know the lease deals available ,just be prepared and know the invoice cost on car, and the going profit, what is currently fair ( by reading the forums here on bimmerfest). When i was searching for where to buy my car, i tried a local place first figuring that would be better to do. So i had all my #s, knew all the money factors,etc,etc......they still tried various tactics to try to rip me off even though i had all of the information, they tried to tell me i was wrong on my calculation when in fact they were wrong ( but they knew it). So needless to say, i did not buy my car from them,. i bought from Ivan......but i did send the guy an email , after i bought my car, explaining that i bought it from a dealer who was straightforward and knew what they were doing.......
Regarding pricing: invoice prices are available here on bimmerfest..... so before you do anything, get that information, find out cost on car and what a fair profit is, know what you want to pay and are willing to pay, then go to the dealer after you have all of your facts.

Last edited by DonnaBlackson; 07-18-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Skjoni's Dad

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidus1 View Post
Just got back from the dealership where I got my last lease. Original CA isnt there anymore and this new CA was totally trying to rip me off.

Basically she was pricing a 2009 335xi w/ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, Nav,Ipod&USB and Alum trim...thats all for MSRP of $52800 (This car has a slightly lower MSRP because its apparently been on the lot for 8 months?)

Shes pricing me at $50,400, which she worked out to $672 per month incl taxes (7%). MF of .00145 and Res of 59% (12k miles). Im responsible for 1st month, $725 bank fee and $145 DMV up-front.

She kept telling me it was a "couple hundred" over invoice. When I asked her what invoice was she refused to tell me. Then when I told her that I had invoice #s she told me they are wrong and that the true invoice number is $1500 higher?? I told her the invoice should be about $48500.

My business is available to whoever wants it. Im looking for Alpine/Coral Red or Monaco/Beige. Have to have ZPP, ZCW, Nav...would really like Aluminum trim, ZSP, PDC, comfort access, IPOD. I think $500 over invoice is fair as this is an easy deal (but hey, thats just my opinion).

Please PM me.

Im sorry if this is the wrong place for this.
Which dealership are you talking about?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:19 AM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Try Paul Miller BMW in Wayne, NJ. I spoke to him during a meet and he seems pretty cool.

Just tell him you went to the BMW meet on the 12th and you like what you see and then negotiate.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaBlackson View Post
Hello,
I used a board sponser here on bimmerfest, BMW of Bloomfield ( Ivan Romero). I live in south jersey near phila and tried a few dealers locally and had no luck, they tried to add extra fees, mark up money factor,etc ( the usual tricks) but Ivan did not try any of those things, it was a straightforward transaction and i would recommend BMW of Bloomfield for a straight forward fair deal. Do your homework of course so you know what you want to pay for the car, know the lease deals available ,just be prepared and know the invoice cost on car, and the going profit, what is currently fair ( by reading the forums here on bimmerfest). When i was searching for where to buy my car, i tried a local place first figuring that would be better to do. So i had all my #s, knew all the money factors,etc,etc......they still tried various tactics to try to rip me off even though i had all of the information, they tried to tell me i was wrong on my calculation when in fact they were wrong ( but they knew it). So needless to say, i did not buy my car from them,. i bought from Ivan......but i did send the guy an email , after i bought my car, explaining that i bought it from a dealer who was straightforward and knew what they were doing.......
Regarding pricing: invoice prices are available here on bimmerfest..... so before you do anything, get that information, find out cost on car and what a fair profit is, know what you want to pay and are willing to pay, then go to the dealer after you have all of your facts.
Donna is right. Know the facts, know the exact options you want and deal fairly. They also need to profit some. If the local CA does not want to deal, then he can sip coffee and hope an unprepared customer walks in. Lot of waiting and stress for that CA. Lots of deals for the Bimmerfest sponsors.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:45 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaBlackson View Post
Hello,

I agree with Donna. While I am from the Philly burbs originally I live in Florida now. I talked extenstively with Ivan when I was shopping for my one series and he is a completely upfront and honest person. I second the recommendation to visit with Ivan since he is the sponsor in your local area. His information is in the sponsors link at top right hand corner of bimmerfest header.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Bayerische Motoren Werke

Mein Auto: '14 X5 50/ '10 Golf TDI
+3 for Ivan and he is a board sponsor (Ricki at difeo also is a sponsor in the tri-state).

I cant speak for Ricki but Ivan will give you a no-nonsense deal. At least give a sponsor the first shot, they deserve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I agree with Donna. While I am from the Philly burbs originally I live in Florida now. I talked extenstively with Ivan when I was shopping for my one series and he is a completely upfront and honest person. I second the recommendation to visit with Ivan since he is the sponsor in your local area. His information is in the sponsors link at top right hand corner of bimmerfest header.

Gone but not forgotten:
2012 550I xDrive GT
2009 X5 35d
2007 335i European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery * ED May 4, 2007 Link to ED Trip Report / PCD July 5th, 2007 Link to Performance Center Re-Delivery Trip Report
2007 X3 European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery
2002 330ci, 1997 328i, 1990 325i
Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Oops, I probably shouldnt say this but Ricki is the person I spoke to at the dealership.

I feel like it would be dishonest of me not to say that...

The whole experience felt off. She didnt want to show me the invoice sheet (I understand its her right not to) but another dealership I went to was very upfront. The guy (Competition BMW) immediately pulled out the invoice sheet without my asking and worked all of his numbers off of it. He very honestly told me that he wants to make $1000 over invoice on the deal. I'd rather not pay that much, so I didnt close the deal, but atleast the whole experience felt very good.

All I can say is that I've run the numbers on the exact same car Ricki showed me, and if we were to assume a $500 over invoice profit, she was charging me $50 per month extra on her lease. I'm sorry, but thats just too much.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
what exactly were the options? i'm coming up with odd numbers, did the car have auto? 18" wheel upgrade? Comfort Access? Logic7?

i cant get an invoice price to match up with what you're describing, and i doubt a lot car would come without an auto ( +1425 right there)

i get as invoice for a car with:
MET
ZPP
ZSP
ZCW
6FL

MSRP of 52075, invoice of 47900, this would be a 6sp manual.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 07-19-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Come see me.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
what exactly were the options? i'm coming up with odd numbers, did the car have auto? 18" wheel upgrade? Comfort Access? Logic7?

i cant get an invoice price to match up with what you're describing, and i doubt a lot car would come without an auto ( +1425 right there)

i get as invoice for a car with:
MET
ZPP
ZSP
ZCW
6FL

MSRP of 52075, invoice of 47900, this would be a 6sp manual.
Non-Metallic Paint
ZPP
ZSP
ZCW
609 - Navigation
6FL - Ipod & USB
205 - Auto
Paddle Shifters

This totals out to $53100, but what you have to keep in mind is that the vehicle I was looking at has been sitting on the lot for a while. Its still an '09, but it has a starting sticker of $43800 rather than $44100..hence the total price is $52800.

There was another one that I was looking at that was $51800. This one didnt have ZSP, but I do not remember the exact specs.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: LS 430
Quote:
The whole experience felt off
I must admit I felt the same way after speaking with her. It felt like she wasn't interested in such a low margin deal and was doing me a huge favor.

I did find a CA who did order a car for me for $300 over invoice - if you are interested, PM me - i will give you his info.

2009 Space Grey X5 M-sport, NAV, Active Steering, Leather Heated Seats, USB
2007 AW 335i Sedan, Manual, Sports, CA, Cold, Rear Shade - GONE
Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Flying monkey herder

i'm having a hard time coming up with the same numbers you did... the only way i can get 672 inc tax is with:

pre price increase invoice is ~48590; add it training (180) MACO (300) and the only way i can get the numbers you posted to work is with at 480 over dealer cost.
training you cant avoid, and maco is universal across (almost) all tri state dealers...

48590+180+300+480= 49550

the final monthly of 672 doesn't work out with a selling price of 50400....

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 07-20-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
PM'ed.

My numbers are based of a MSRP of $52,800

Last edited by Ali@turnersvilleBMW; 07-20-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Just like a specific car or shop is not for everyone, perhaps the same goes for Client Advisors.

Ricki is known for a no-BS way of conducting business and that is why she has gained the respect of dozens of Festers, not just in the northeast but in other regions as well. But her style may not work for everyone.

If things don't work out, move on. There's a dealer out there for everyone.

I've also stopped by the Center at various times and witnessed torture sessions inflicted by potential customers who come in with incorrect and rather odd pre-conceived ideas on pricing and what's available (in fact, when I saw Ricki about my upcoming order late on Saturday, I overheard such a discussion at DiFeo/Tenalfy). Some insight may be found at the This Board is Going to H thread.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 07-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
i'm having a hard time coming up with the same numbers you did... the only way i can get 672 inc tax is with:

pre price increase invoice is ~48590; add it training (180) MACO (300) and the only way i can get the numbers you posted to work is with at 480 over dealer cost.
training you cant avoid, and maco is universal across (almost) all tri state dealers...

48590+180+300+480= 49550

the final monthly of 672 doesn't work out with a selling price of 50400....

Wow, thanks for all the work. I must admit, I did not include the $180 or $300.

I did see that your calculation does not include the $1000 lease cash (or does it?)

Personally, Im also a little confused as to how her computer was pumping out numbers. I did carefully note though that it was $50400. Either way, this number is too high...
Old 07-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
Just like a specific car or shop is not for everyone, perhaps the same goes for Client Advisors.

Ricki is known for a no-BS way of conducting business and that is why she has gained the respect of dozens of Festers, not just in the northeast but in other regions as well. But her style may not work for everyone.

If things don't work out, move on. There's a dealer out there for everyone.

I've also stopped by the Center at various times and witnessed torture sessions inflicted by potential customers who come in with incorrect and rather odd pre-conceived ideas on pricing and what's available (in fact, when I saw Ricki about my upcoming order late on Saturday, I overheard such a discussion at DiFeo/Tenalfy). Some insight may be found at the This Board is Going to H thread.

FYI - If it was end-of-business on Saturday then you are talking about me. But what you should know is that I did not come in with odd pre-conceived ideas about pricing. I simply wanted to leave and had already decided that I was not going to do business with Ricki and so after she kept pushing me as to why I couldnt sign off on her terrible deal I told her that Im only looking to spend $550 on a car I know is at least $75 more per month.

So to an observer, it may have seemed that way...but I assure you my research and numbers were mostly sound (aside from not taking MACO into account).
Old 07-20-2009, 12:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Try Paul Miller BMW in Wayne, NJ. I spoke to him during a meet and he seems pretty cool.

Just tell him you went to the BMW meet on the 12th and you like what you see and then negotiate.
Such a beautiful car and such a ugly front plate. LOL
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 07-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
I told her that Im only looking to spend $550 on a car I know is at least $75 more per month.
wait, what? you were expecting $550 a month?

the only 335xi coupe you can get, even with the lease cash, for $550 a month, is one with auto and only auto, sold at inv + training and maco- lease cash... basically 0 profit, since the cap cost would be below invoice.

did you really go in there with a reasonable expectation?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: e46
Quote:
wait, what? you were expecting $550 a month?

the only 335xi coupe you can get, even with the lease cash, for $550 a month, is one with auto and only auto, sold at inv + training and maco- lease cash... basically 0 profit, since the cap cost would be below invoice.

did you really go in there with a reasonable expectation?
i think he only told her 550 to get her off his back.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
Some insight may be found at the This Board is Going to H thread.
that thread isnt informative. that thread was started by a crybaby who wanted to start a pissing match between those who want to pay exorbitant fees and those who do not.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Bayerische Motoren Werke

Mein Auto: '14 X5 50/ '10 Golf TDI
I have had no direct dealings with Ricki but I have read that she is highly competitive when it comes to ED pricing. And is highly recommended as well for ED with lots of positive reviews. When it comes to US delivery she is not as competitive as other board sponsors and one thread said she wouldnt even talk pricing via email/phone. Again, having no direct experience with her, this is only what ive read here on numerous threads.

This thread has too many confusing/conflicting prices to take a side. But I do agree that I woulda walked too if it indeed was 1500 above invoice.

Gone but not forgotten:
2012 550I xDrive GT
2009 X5 35d
2007 335i European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery * ED May 4, 2007 Link to ED Trip Report / PCD July 5th, 2007 Link to Performance Center Re-Delivery Trip Report
2007 X3 European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery
2002 330ci, 1997 328i, 1990 325i

Last edited by The BoatMan; 07-20-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 335 coupe
i really did not like that lease sheet because although it calculates lease for you, you dont know HOW the numbers are calculated, you just know the number is a component of the total lease payment, but you dont really know how that number was arrived at..and that is where they will try to add costs in. I have a spreadsheet that I made myself that explains every component of the lease and what every number means and where it comes from. I found it helpful and its how i was able to see that Holman ( DeSimone BMW) was trying various things to trick me. I can email it to you if you want it, it really is very good and comprehensive.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Mah friend... cough. Pull up a chair, eh.

First of all, you don't know how to f.cking negotiate. Who gives a sh.t how much the monthly payment is and that fee and this fee and all this other crap. None of that silliness matters, what matters is THE TOTAL COST OF A LEASE OVER LEASE TERM. THAT is what you should negotiate, not some bloody monthly payment. Too high - too low, who cares? Monthly payment doesn't matter at all, you shouldn't even ask how much it is. It is what it is.

Second of all, what are you doing at a dealership negotiating? Don't you got email? Or phone? Call, state your offer. They take it, good, show up to take the car away. Not, move on to the next dealership. All this "negotiation" is just wasting your time and theirs. You should be at a dealership twice, no more. Once to test drive, second time to pick up the car.

Finally, I bought a car from Ricki and I got a good deal and I liked dealing with her. It was quick and easy, wham bam, thank you m'am. She had a car to sell, I liked her price that was that. You had a different experience. OK. Not everybody likes her style, I understand that. Go elsewhere.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:07 AM

I agree with you, but I was there for a lease-end inspection, and so I figured while Im here I may as well explore my options (all while having a price in mind) most importantly with the hope that my eagerness to lease another car would make them go easier on me with the damages. That didnt happen unforunately, so not only was I up for almost $3000 in lease-end excessive damage fees but also I was expected to pay $50 too much per month. Fyi, if you dont like hearing numbers in terms of monthly payments, then Im sorry...its just easier for me that way. I know what the car should cost with $0 down and so I base my figures off of this.