Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 AM
YeS...

Mein Auto: 02' 530/08' SuZuKi GsX-r
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT View Post
Air cooled bikes need to keep moving or they overheat. Our roads have been clogged for decades, so it's no wonder this was passed into law many years ago.
I dont see how NY should be any different... Traffic here is horrible as well... I dont know if its as bad but it is bad none the less...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
I have also heard that the law was passed to allow two (police) motorcycles to ride side-by-side ... but the law did not specifically prohibit a motorcycle from riding side-by-side with a car.

Keep in mind that a LEO can ticket you for reckless driving and/or changing lanes without signaling at their discretion when you're splitting.
There is always some kind of loop hole with laws... I dont think it would matter much if they legalize it in other states as well, being that most do it anyways...
Old 08-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglovemp View Post
There is always some kind of loop hole with laws... I dont think it would matter much if they legalize it in other states as well, being that most do it anyways...
The question is.. can you split past cops, car or bike, and not have them care?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
`

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 08-11-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 330i 09K13GT 83R100RS
Quote:
This reminds me when a rental Japanese import car driven by a New Yorker rear-ended my RED Nissan Titan (basically went under my truck), at a STOP LIGHT, in Downtown L.A., around noon time. When I asked him what happened? He's sorry he didn't see my truck???!!!
The truck sustained minor damage but his rental was a mess! When riding my bike, splitting lanes at the traffic light or anywhere safe is a must.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: K1200RS, E93/335i:4cruzin
If you search you will find the general consensus is that there is no portion of the CA motor vehicle code that actually allows lane splitting.
Nor is there any law that forbids it. The fact that the CHP motorcycle cops do it all the time is a bit of an endorsement.

I have both approached and been approached from the rear by CHP motorcycle cops while lane splitting and didn't even get a look from them.
Passing a cruiser in bumper to bumper puts them in a difficult position, even if they wanted to chase you down you are already 40 cars down the road.

Keep in mind any officer of the law has a lot of leeway in defining what constitutes reckless driving, if they write you a ticket for it, you can bet the judge will back them up. So lane splitting at 4x miles an hour in 30 mile an hour highway traffic is one thing. Splitting vehicles at 80 something when the traffic is already moving at (or above) the posted limit is another.

Last edited by bmwKbiker; 09-04-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The question is.. can you split past cops, car or bike, and not have them care?
I did, a patrol car on the diamond lane. But any faster bike behind me, cop or otherwise, I usually pull in between cars and let them pass. And usually I get a thank you wave from both.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beemers View Post
I did, a patrol car on the diamond lane. But any faster bike behind me, cop or otherwise, I usually pull in between cars and let them pass. And usually I get a thank you wave from both.
The question was for non-californians.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: K1200RS, E93/335i:4cruzin
Quote:
This is going to vary a lot from state to state, just like helmet laws do.

In CA as long as you are not speeding or "driving recklessly" you can pretty much split lanes with impunity.
On the flip side I'd be pulled over (in CA) by the first officer that saw me if I was riding around without a helmet on.

Last edited by bmwKbiker; 09-04-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
I saw a motorcycle the other day that had flashing LED lights wrapping around the brake lights. When the bike would brake, the brake light would go on (of course) followed by the flashing LED's. Although annoying to be behind, they do work to get the attention of the drivers behind you.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
My apology. I should have known that it is only for non-Californians.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Also motorcycles can legally use the carpool lanes 24/7 in California.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwcat View Post
Also motorcycles can legally use the carpool lanes 24/7 in California.
+1, another question, how is it that motorcyclists don't fall over when they go around sharp turns and are about parallel with the ground? That's super neat how they do that, but I've always wondered how they don't fall, their knees touch the ground

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Htd Seats = 4-season vert

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
+1, another question, how is it that motorcyclists don't fall over when they go around sharp turns and are about parallel with the ground? That's super neat how they do that, but I've always wondered how they don't fall, their knees touch the ground
are you talking about superbikes? sticky tires + good pavement.

I can't recall seeing anyone try that on city streets.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:18 PM
livin the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
this pic was posted a while back on a motorcycle forum i'm on. if i remeber correctly, the guy survied, i think he end up in back of the bed of the truck. it was a 21 yr old woman driving.
we titled the pic. gm makes motorcycle stand.
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 528i, Y2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisl View Post
not really.

Well, maybe if you live in an area without curvy roads .
+1
Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 AW 1M,1963 Impala SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
A motorcycle has to lean to the inside of a corner to compensate for the centrifugal force that wants to keep the bike going straight.

The faster the bike goes, respectively, the tigher the turn, the more the bike has to lean to go around the corner.

The bike can only lean so much before bits of it start to scrape the road. Also, if you look at a motorcycle tire's, they are not flat like a car, but more rounded. After a certain degree of lean, you are no longer using the whole tire contact patch.

So to go faster still around the same corner, fast riders actually transfer the bike's center of gravity by moving their body weight from the top of the motorcycle to the inside of the corner. The centrifugal force keeps the bike from falling inside the turn. This allows riders to keep the bike MORE upright, thus better ground clearance and tire contact. Their knees may scrape the ground, but the weight of the bike is not on them.

They could not do it below a certain speed, the bike would just tip on the inside.

And I agree, it does looks neat.

Last edited by Manu; 12-22-2009 at 12:54 PM.