Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-20-2003, 04:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Depends on my mood.
current known defects :(

Well, after about 5 days of owning my new 03 X5 4.4i, I discovered these defects... wondering if i should bring it to the dealer yet.. Anyone else had these problems before?

1. Service engine soon. came on at 100 miles. Still on at 800 miles. Checked gas cap, rechecked gas cap, triped checked gas cap. Can't be gas cap because the dash indicator for gas cap hasn't come on yet. I joked that this light would come on as I was driving home, and it literally happened this way. The error code stored in the OBC should say gas cap, but I dont understand why it would stay on after I re tightended the gas cap.

2. Rear hatch sensor could be malfunctioning. I have to SLAM the rear trunklid in order for the sensor to register that the rear is closed. If I gently close it, the mechanism will latch close, but the dash will say "rear trunklid open."
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2003, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4i
Hi SupraRZ,

I picked up my 4.4i on August 6th. Although I don't have the check engine light problem, I do notice that the hatch needs to be closed with authority in order to register that it is closed.

The check engine light would concern me more than the hatch. If I were you I would bring it in to have it looked at.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:18 AM
MILF Hunter

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
I have the same problem with my 03 4.4

Rear hatch has to be slammed to avoid the light. I also had a weird occurance of warnings for door open while I was driving. This eventually went away. But it was pretty disturbing that it was happening on the first two days of picking up the X5.

As for the Check engine light. If it registered the gas cap it will keep the code stored even though the cap is correctly installed.

You should go back to the dealer to have them reset the code.

Does anyone else find that it's annoying to not have the diagram showing which door is open? I'd much rather see the picture of the car with the doors open than just a msg saying door is open.

What gives? The manual says there should be a picture of the car with warning lights in the dash but it doesn't seem to be available on the 03's.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4i
With respect to the instrument cluster and the display of the specifc door that is open: I think that if you have the Premium Package with the upgraded computer, you get the alphanumeric display in lieu of the car icon.

I agree that the graphic is likely to be more informative than the text.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:21 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraRZ
Well, after about 5 days of owning my new 03 X5 4.4i, I discovered these defects... wondering if i should bring it to the dealer yet.. Anyone else had these problems before?

1. Service engine soon. came on at 100 miles. Still on at 800 miles. Checked gas cap, rechecked gas cap, triped checked gas cap. Can't be gas cap because the dash indicator for gas cap hasn't come on yet. I joked that this light would come on as I was driving home, and it literally happened this way. The error code stored in the OBC should say gas cap, but I dont understand why it would stay on after I re tightended the gas cap.

2. Rear hatch sensor could be malfunctioning. I have to SLAM the rear trunklid in order for the sensor to register that the rear is closed. If I gently close it, the mechanism will latch close, but the dash will say "rear trunklid open."
1. Bring it in to the dealer - I had the same problem and they found there was some foreign substance on one of the sensors. Hasn't come back on now for the past 20,000 miles.

2. It could be the factory is setting the rubber stops a little higher to compensate for people complaining that their hatch rattles. You can adjust these stops easily - with the top hatch open, you will see a rubber stop on either side of the frame. Using a torx screwdriver, loosen the screw, then turn the rubber stopper down a half turn or so. Retighten the torx screw. Check the closing force and readjust as needed. Mine closes without having to slam it, although I had to turn the stopper out to eliminate the hatch rattle.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 08-23-2003, 12:12 AM

I can gently push it closed and the hatch will latch just fine... but the light won't shut off and OBC will say rear hatch open. I'm pretty car savy but since I have to bring the car in for check engine, might as well tell them do to it anyways.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:15 AM
MILF Hunter

Yeah, u need to slam it at least while it's new. Perhaps the bushings just need to set or something. I've found that after 2000 miles it hasn't triggered a warning and i don't always slam it anymore.

Prior models had some issues where closing the front doors sometimes caused the rear hatch to lift slightly do the the pressure build up in the car.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: '03 4.6iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by batm4n
Yeah, u need to slam it at least while it's new. Perhaps the bushings just need to set or something. I've found that after 2000 miles it hasn't triggered a warning and i don't always slam it anymore.

Prior models had some issues where closing the front doors sometimes caused the rear hatch to lift slightly do the the pressure build up in the car.
The pressure actually relocks the hatch because after it is lifted, it closes right back. This means you have to either unlock it again using the trunk opener on the dash (and closing the front door will lock it again -- so the whole vicious cycle repeats), or use the hatch opener on the remote.

Sucks, doesn't it?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: '03 4.6iS
Quote:

I had the same problem with the SES light before I traded mine in for an '03 4.6is. It happened with a Check Filler Cap message appearing in the dash. The second time that happened, the SES light came on. Dealer tried to fix it 6 times, but I got so tired of it so I traded it in. FYI, they found a leak both times, one time replacing the charcoal cannister and the last, DMTE fuel pump. But apparently, that wasn't it.

If they can't fix your SES light, contact BMWNA. They have been very helpful in my case. But not helpful enough to replace my 4.4 with a new one
Old 08-26-2003, 02:41 PM

Damn, I wish i could do that

Pretty soon, i think i'll have to resort to using electrical tape on that stupid light
Old 08-26-2003, 05:44 PM

OK!

- I just got the car back from Crevier, and the problem was a faulty gas cap... They replaced the gas cap for me. I thought they were gonna be dumb and tell me to screw it in tighter, thank god

- Forgot to tell them about the trunk lid, will bring it in later.

- Bastards wanted $100 to program my alarm keys to lock at 5mph beacuse I didn't get the car from them... I thought dealers get paid to do this... oh well i'll go to irvine BMW.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:50 PM
MILF Hunter

Tell them your from the Roadfly board. The creviers guys sponser that board. So they should give u a break
Old 08-26-2003, 08:08 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:

- Bastards wanted $100 to program my alarm keys to lock at 5mph beacuse I didn't get the car from them... I thought dealers get paid to do this... oh well i'll go to irvine BMW.
Your selling dealer is "paid" to do this, because it is part of the PDI (pre-delivery inspection). They are the only ones that will do it at no charge to you. BMW will not pay another dealer to do this, and the dealer's techs probably don't want to work for free. $100 seems like they are charging you 1 hour labor, which is about average for a car/key programming.

You have 2 choices here-- go to the selling dealer, and ask them to do it. They should do it at no charge the first time for you. Or, you can go elsewhere, but expect to pay if you go this route.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 08-26-2003, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
Your selling dealer is "paid" to do this, because it is part of the PDI (pre-delivery inspection). They are the only ones that will do it at no charge to you. BMW will not pay another dealer to do this, and the dealer's techs probably don't want to work for free. $100 seems like they are charging you 1 hour labor, which is about average for a car/key programming.

You have 2 choices here-- go to the selling dealer, and ask them to do it. They should do it at no charge the first time for you. Or, you can go elsewhere, but expect to pay if you go this route.

Fillip,

Thanks for your reply. Your responses are very reasonable, but the only reason I mentioned this is that I've brought in a 540 and 325ci purchased from a different dealership for programming, and the SA did it in about 2 minutes, which is why I was upset about that. I do custom alarm installs for myself and friends so I'm pretty sure this is not the issue . I'll try the closer dealerships, and if all else fails, I'll just drive to the place I bought the car from... it's the traffic that pisses me off

I've owned the X5 for 14 days, 12 out of 14 of those days = service engine light

Peter
Old 09-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Fillip,

Thanks for your reply. Your responses are very reasonable, but the only reason I mentioned this is that I've brought in a 540 and 325ci purchased from a different dealership for programming, and the SA did it in about 2 minutes, which is why I was upset about that. I do custom alarm installs for myself and friends so I'm pretty sure this is not the issue . I'll try the closer dealerships, and if all else fails, I'll just drive to the place I bought the car from... it's the traffic that pisses me off

I've owned the X5 for 14 days, 12 out of 14 of those days = service engine light

Peter
I've had an 02 X5 3.3 and can offer the following info.

1. Engine light on (gas cap) - There's a little known fact with BMW's. When you fill up you HAVE to turn your engine off. If you don't then the light will activate regardless of whether the cap is on or not. Also, it's been verified that the computer will reset itself after a couple hundred miles. If the light stays on beyond that it either means that your not closing the cap tight enough or your leaving the vehicle running while feuling it.

2. Rear hatch door - I've had the same problem from day 1. You just need to slam the door with authority in order to deactivate the sensor. The good news is after several hundred times you will actually stop noticing this problem because you will learn how hard you need to shut the door and it will become second nature.

Hope this helps...
Old 09-10-2003, 07:14 PM

Thanks for your reply. I think I forgot to mention that the defect was a gas cap that can't pressurize. They replaced the cap and gave me a free carwash .

Does having a SES on gas cap put the car into limp mode? I went about 1500 miles, my CA just said to tighten it, but after it's been tightened, light stayed on, so I brought it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion7701
I've had an 02 X5 3.3 and can offer the following info.

1. Engine light on (gas cap) - There's a little known fact with BMW's. When you fill up you HAVE to turn your engine off. If you don't then the light will activate regardless of whether the cap is on or not. Also, it's been verified that the computer will reset itself after a couple hundred miles. If the light stays on beyond that it either means that your not closing the cap tight enough or your leaving the vehicle running while feuling it.

2. Rear hatch door - I've had the same problem from day 1. You just need to slam the door with authority in order to deactivate the sensor. The good news is after several hundred times you will actually stop noticing this problem because you will learn how hard you need to shut the door and it will become second nature.

Hope this helps...