Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 528i, 93 325is
My terrible dilema

So I have a bit of a dilema. OK, so it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but something I'm looking for input on.

I'm a former owner of a 97 528i. I loved that car. Nicest car I've owned so far in my life. I sold it a year ago when I left for Iraq with the intention of possibly getting a 135i convertible on return. Then came along my notice of the 3-series hardtop 'vert. I've decided to go this route instead since I live in NY. However, I can't decide on which one I want.

The 328i, by all comparison I can see, is a fine car. When compared to the 528 I had before, it's more powerful, gets better gas mileage, and is sportier. I know it weighs more but I think the 40 hp makes the 500lb increase irrelavent.

The other option, of course, is the 335i 'vert. Sure, it's got 300hp on tap but when am I ever going to use that except right before either the accident or the speeding ticket? But then again, it's got twin turbos, man! How can you turn that down?!

So I ask you, the owners of these cars, to tell me which you think is best. I'm curious about several different packages including the "normal" vs Sport vs M Sport, manual vs the paddle shift SMG (which was cool), and if it's even worth it to get the Premium package? I really would like Nav but is it worth it with the iDrive?

Any input is appreciated. My decision needs to come soon. I get home in a few months and if I want to act on the deals I need to do it soon. By "good deals" I mean the quote I got for a 335 with M Sport, Cold wx, Alarm, iPod and USB, HD, SMG with paddle shifters all for 51,000. I think I can get a 328i built the same for about 47k. Thanks for the input!
Ads by Google
Old 07-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Become the Bull

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
if its between the 328 and 335 it all comes down to fun vs. practicality. Do you need all that hp and trq? no not really, the 328 would be more than adaquete for a daily driver. But would it be nice to have all that hp and trq on tap for when you want to be.....naughty. Well yes it would

so the question you really have to ask yourself is are you a practical person or someone who like to push things every now and then.

I personally LOVE my 335 coupe, and love being apart of a smaller group (i see alot of 328's out there) and having that extra push brings a smile to my face everytime!

GL with your decision, and come home safe!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:42 AM

Does anyone have the navigation? How is it?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Bringing up the rear

Mein Auto: 2007 35i Sedan
Have a look here for some general info on packages (current post)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=384999
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Thank you for your service. They should give all you returning men and women $10,000 off on the car of your choice. (Stimulus and all that.)

I love my 328, but I have pretty much the lightest version they make. If you're going for the 'vert, I think you'd be better off with the 335 to make up for the difference in weight.

I am personally very pleased with my options. I don't have the iDrive, but I do have the HD radio option along with the logic 7. It sounds great. I also have a very nice Garmin which I like. I like the clean looks without the nav. Other folks though really love the looks of the nav and the new iDrive works really well. That's a tough call.

I am very glad to have the premium package. 'Love the leather, the homelink mirror, the autodim, the power seats.

The sports package, to me, is a must. The seats are great and I like the wheels. If you get the 4 door, it makes a difference in suspension too. But then, I drive on good roads. People complain about the sport suspension where roads are lousy like around NYC.

I don't have the Msport trim and don't know if I would have gotten it. I do think the Msport trim looks better along the side of the car than the standard trim. I would also have liked the black headliner that come with it.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 07-23-2009, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
I went down the same path.

At the end, I chose the 335. The mileage is fine if you keep your foot out of the turbos, the turbos are there when you want to have fun, and, as a friend's wife said, "Get the big engine. At this point in your life, have some fun."

FWIW,
George

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 07-23-2009, 06:28 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
You live in NY. So you may want:
  • Navigation (helps you get places)
  • Cold package (come on it's NY)
  • X-Drive (snow/ice - must have)
  • Xenon lights (come standard on 335 I believe)
  • Bluetooth (why worry about your phone when you are dodging crazy NY drivers - plus why mess with the cops)
  • iPod package (assuming you listen to your iPod)
  • Comfort Access (nice to have)
  • Premium (leather, auto fold up mirrors, garage access)
  • Automatic Transmission - Again if you are in a major urban area

If you will be parallel parking a lot do not get the park assist - it will annoy the hell out of you.

Realize your bumper will get scratched a lot.

If you live in an urban area of NY then M package is kind of a waste - where will you open up your car to drive that fast?

Imagine the M car is the genie. Imagine urban area in NY is the lamp
"PHENOMENOL COSMIC POWER, ITTY BITTY LIVING SPACE "

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
If price is not the issue, get the 335. I have never heard anyone complain that their 335 feels too fast or has too much power. I think even in a place like NY you can enjoy the extra power, I am sure.

Either way, coming from a 12 year old 528 to a brand new 328 (or 335) will feel awesome on its own. Depending on your roads you might want to skip over any wheels larger than 17". Enough NYers here have contributed to the pothole explosions threads.

I'd still suggest the sports package for the super awesome seats, but keep the wheels at 17'' if your roads are crappy.

Welcome home and thank you for your service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Aussie in Texas!!

Send a message via Yahoo to turpiwa
Mein Auto: E46 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflint1513 View Post
Does anyone have the navigation? How is it?
The new Nav is excellent IMO.

I had the 1st gen idrive in a 330 and it was ok but the new one is much easier to use, more flexible and has great graphics.

I'm biased obviously when it comes to 335 vs. 328 - particularly regarding do you need the power and when do you use it. I have pushed it further and tiuned it - so more power - and I use it all the time

Has anyone figured out how to disable the DVD play only when the handbrake is on 'option'?

ED 2009 (5/2) E90 335i, 6MT - Le Mans Blue, Burl, ZPP(Blk Lthr), M-Sports, ZCW, Active Steer, Nav, shades, PDC, ipod, Sirius, CA, Smartphone
ED 2005 (11/18) E90 330i, 6MT - Monaco, Burl, ZPP(Blk Lthr), ZSP, ZCW, Active Cruise & Steer, Nav, shades, PDC, Sirius, CA
MY ED 2005 WRITEUP
EUROPEAN DELIVERY PICTURES (albums are in reverse order - sorry). NO NEED TO SIGN IN -beware - there's lots
Old 07-23-2009, 08:24 AM
The new jojojo

Mein Auto: --
Thank you for your service, and like the prof. said, they should give you 10k off

I think if money is not an issue, go for the 335, and like others have said, the 09 idrive is great
Old 07-23-2009, 08:32 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
Have you looked into miltary purchase? I kick myself now for not ordering my 335 when I was coming back from Afghanistan.

That aside, how do you like your cars? If you like the extra power, the 335 is hard to beat. However, the 328 is still a great car and plenty of horsepower for most. I personally ordered the M sport package, becuase I liked the look and I liked the fact that it was going to be a little more unique that most on the road. That and I was going to get the sport package and PDC anyway. To upgrade from that to M-sport wasn't that much more.

Nav has gotten MUCH better in the 2009 and I think most will tell you that. Premium is up to you. If you are thinking about leather already, premium is not that much more and you get a handful of extra goodies. However, if price is an issue, this would be one to consider dropping.

I would say sport package is a must. Some don't like the stiffness, but IMHO, it's part of owning a BMW. Oh....and I would SERIOUSLY consider the comfort access option. Very cool.

Also, just so you have your BMW-speak down. SMG is gone and it is not on the 335. You're talking the steptronic automatic with paddle shifters.

Good luck!
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...

Last edited by energetik9; 07-23-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 AM

Thanks for all the great input. I was comparing the old e39 (528i) to the 328i e90 (I think) because they are similar. The difference is that the 528i only weighed 3500 lbs give or take and produced 190hp. The new 328i weighs a lil over 4K but produces 230 hp. I think the weight difference is compensated for in the hp and torque increase. The 528 was more than enough car for me. The only times I really ever pushed it was on long road trips. I drive from upstate NY where I live now to Ohio quite often. The drive was easy in the e39 after you leave the state of NY (aka, regime of NY). Once in PA, I could drive like a respectable Buckeye and get up to about 110 and just set the cruise. I think as long as I can do that in the convertible, I'll be happy. Oh, and I did burn a new Maxima once in Alabama while driving the e39. I think it's got plenty of power.

Options options options...
Old 07-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Not a real doctor.

Yes... many options... and they're all pretty damned sweet.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You live in NY. So you may want:
  • Navigation (helps you get places)
  • Cold package (come on it's NY)
  • X-Drive (snow/ice - must have)
  • Xenon lights (come standard on 335 I believe)
  • Bluetooth (why worry about your phone when you are dodging crazy NY drivers - plus why mess with the cops)
  • iPod package (assuming you listen to your iPod)
  • Comfort Access (nice to have)
  • Premium (leather, auto fold up mirrors, garage access)
  • Automatic Transmission - Again if you are in a major urban area

If you will be parallel parking a lot do not get the park assist - it will annoy the hell out of you.

Realize your bumper will get scratched a lot.

If you live in an urban area of NY then M package is kind of a waste - where will you open up your car to drive that fast?

Imagine the M car is the genie. Imagine urban area in NY is the lamp
"PHENOMENOL COSMIC POWER, ITTY BITTY LIVING SPACE "
Not really a must, but nice to have.. Putting on winter tires or even just all season tires will work fine in the winters of NY. Then again I don't like to drive in the snow because people still think they are invinceable and drive like morons and eventually lose control and hit you.

Quote:
The sports package, to me, is a must. The seats are great and I like the wheels. If you get the 4 door, it makes a difference in suspension too. But then, I drive on good roads. People complain about the sport suspension where roads are lousy like around NYC.
Sports pkg for NYC driving is fine.. I have sports pkg on my car and its great but just have to be extra careful on the pot holes.

I appreciate my 300HP on my car here in NJ

Have you considered a 2010 535i with sports package?
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.

Last edited by Kzang; 07-23-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi coupe
[QUOTE=mflint1513;4370658]
So I ask you, the owners of these cars, to tell me which you think is best. I'm curious about several different packages including the "normal" vs Sport vs M Sport, manual vs the paddle shift SMG (which was cool), and if it's even worth it to get the Premium package? I really would like Nav but is it worth it with the iDrive?

there is no SMG for the 335. smg are only in the M models
Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi coupe
Quote:
I mean the quote I got for a 335 with M Sport, Cold wx, Alarm, iPod and USB, HD, SMG with paddle shifters all for 51,000. I think I can get a 328i built the same for about 47k. Thanks for the input!
there is no SMG for the 335. SMG is only offered for the M models because of sheer performance.

i think you should definitely aim for the 335 if you can afford it.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Not a real doctor.

Sport
Manual
Premium
iDrive (includes nav)

Old 07-24-2009, 07:50 AM

Again, thanks for all of the input. I just talked to the builder again. A 2010 335i 'vert, manual, Cold Wx, Sport, Premium, Nav, comfort, Logic7 for 54K. The dealer would charge in the neighborhood of 61K. I can cut the costs down by eliminating the Logic7, Nav, and Comfort. Everything else is a MUST.

More questions:
Is the Logic7 system THAT much better than the standard that comes with the car?
Nav, nav, nav...again with the nav...is it REALLY worth? This option gives the iDrive and HD radio. But for 2K, do I really need it?
Premium...leather is standard on the 335i's. So, I'm paying 1,650 for the mirrors to do swoopy lil tricks and to have lumbar? None of my other cars had lumbar and my 528 was more comfortable than my bed!
Comfort: Does anyone have this? I really like being able to walk up to the car and not pull the key out of my pocket. It's great! But can I get this added later? Is this just "another thing that's going to break"?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Again, thanks for all of the input. I just talked to the builder again. A 2010 335i 'vert, manual, Cold Wx, Sport, Premium, Nav, comfort, Logic7 for 54K. The dealer would charge in the neighborhood of 61K. I can cut the costs down by eliminating the Logic7, Nav, and Comfort. Everything else is a MUST.

More questions:
Is the Logic7 system THAT much better than the standard that comes with the car?
Nav, nav, nav...again with the nav...is it REALLY worth? This option gives the iDrive and HD radio. But for 2K, do I really need it?
Premium...leather is standard on the 335i's. So, I'm paying 1,650 for the mirrors to do swoopy lil tricks and to have lumbar? None of my other cars had lumbar and my 528 was more comfortable than my bed!
Comfort: Does anyone have this? I really like being able to walk up to the car and not pull the key out of my pocket. It's great! But can I get this added later? Is this just "another thing that's going to break"?
The comfort access is just for convenience. I don't have it, but I kind of wish I did, but I'm not missing out because I've never had it before!! The Nav, you can probably find a tom-tom that's much cheaper and does the same thing. I have the nav in my car and had to get it because I've had navs in my previous cars and couldn't live without it. I'm not sure you can add it later, you could, you can add anything if you pay the money for it.

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 09 328i
At the least you should test drive both 328 and 335. I didn't test drive 335 on purpose as it was more than I wanted to spend. I would have liked 335 better but 328 is fine for my use. 335 is about $6-7K more and that was a factor along with a potential issue with HPFP. I also specifically avoided sport package for normal suspension and glad that I didn't get that option. But for a lot of drivers, sport package is a must it seems. So you be the judge. As for the iDrive, I like it. With a screen, you not only get navigation but for many other information in big display. Enjoy your dilema.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:03 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:

More questions:
The nav is not a must. If you don't need it now then you won't need it tomorrow (most likely). You can always buy a portable unit.
I think the L7 radio is way better then standard - but go test drive a standard vs an L7 - only you can tell.
Comfort is convenient but not required. Adding it later is very expensive (if possible). And yes, like all things optional, the more you have the more you have to break.

BTW - list the vehicle you are getting and the price. Make sure you don't pay much more then invoice +$100 (before any incentives/trade-ins)

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Aussie in Texas!!

Send a message via Yahoo to turpiwa
Mein Auto: E46 M3 Convertible
Quote:

More questions:
I think it really is worth it. It is annoying that I got it standard on my 06 330i and so couldn't go back on teh 09 335 but had to pay for it!

Quote:
I am of the same opinion as others - I love it - had it in my last and could not imaging not havign it (but I am a gadgets guy)
If you were really trying to cut costs this woudl be a good option

Quote:
I don't think Leather is standard in 335's - anyone

Quote:
I highly recommend you get this - it is so convenient. I love the Comfort Access almost more than any other option (except my 2 turbos ) - but as I said - I'm a gadgets guy.
Nothing like just walking up . openign the door and pushing the button. Also no keys dangling down and annoying the crap out of me.
My 3 year old loves it too - he thinks it is magic and always wants to lock the door.

Enjoy.

ED 2009 (5/2) E90 335i, 6MT - Le Mans Blue, Burl, ZPP(Blk Lthr), M-Sports, ZCW, Active Steer, Nav, shades, PDC, ipod, Sirius, CA, Smartphone
ED 2005 (11/18) E90 330i, 6MT - Monaco, Burl, ZPP(Blk Lthr), ZSP, ZCW, Active Cruise & Steer, Nav, shades, PDC, Sirius, CA
MY ED 2005 WRITEUP
EUROPEAN DELIVERY PICTURES (albums are in reverse order - sorry). NO NEED TO SIGN IN -beware - there's lots
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 PM

Again, thanks for the input everyone! After continuing to research all of this I'm leaning more towards a 328i 'vert. Here's what I'm workin' on with the manufacturer:
2010 328i Convertible
Manual
Alpine White
Sport, Premium, Cold Wx
Comfort
Logic7

Grand Total: $47,675. That's for all the "extras" the dealer throws in as well like delivery cost, prep and admin fees, etc.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 PM
New Mommy to Kristopher

Mein Auto: 2009 328i convertible
You won't regret either the Comfort or the L7. I put the top down and the L7 up and I tell ya, life doesn't get any sweeter! It's like sitting in a surround sound movie theatre with my choice of music.

And Comfort Access ROCKS! Once you have it, it's hard to go back. Of course, I'm a woman and my keys are always disappearing somewhere in my purse. Not a problem anymore.

I bet you'll love it. And thank you for your service. Come home safe and enjoy your new 328 when you get it!

Proud owner of a 2009 328i convertible, black sapphire, black leather, ZCW, ZPP, ZSP, 2XA, Comfort Access, Park Distance Control, Nav, L7, Smartphone/IPOD/USB

LIFE IS GOOD!!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i E92
Leather is standard on 335i verts.

I would say that you should get the 335i or else you'll kick yourself for not getting it.

It's well worth it in my opinion!

Navi on the 09's are much better than the previous gen (what I have)...