Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 540/74 911/01 Z3(hers)
need help changg out d2s bulb

Ok removed the rubber shroud from the back of the headlight assy Peeled back the rubber backing and can see the plate that seems to hold the bulb. How do I get the bulb out of this pate and the connector to the ballast? Im pissed I can't get this. help

-steve
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 PM

netbook is so condensed with the keyboard I can't type a damn sentence. If anyone makes sense of this please help I need to use the car tomorrow night.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:05 PM

I'm gunna fell like a jackass taking this to the shop ;(
Old 07-25-2009, 08:05 PM

feel*
Old 07-25-2009, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by abanjableu View Post
feel*
Can't help with your question, but I can tell you that you can edit your posts so as not have to make multiple posts correcting any grammatical errors.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
OK.
First of all you do NOT have to remove the rubber bulb cover.

Here it is directly from the Bentley manual.
Working in back of headlight assembly:
1. Rotate headlight bulb socket counterclockwise.
2./ Pull bulb socket and bulb out of headlight assembly
3. Disconnect harness connector from socket
4. Gently wiggle bulb and pull straight out of socket
5. Replace bulb by pushing firmly into socket
6. Installation is reveres of removal

Hope that helps.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:37 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a shot in the morning. I just twisted the bulb and then slid the rubber ring off from around the headlight assy. I don't understand how I couldn't get it out though. I could see everything just fine.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Where are you in PA?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:39 PM

Reading area (berks county)
Old 08-04-2009, 06:48 PM

pic of the damage

So what's the verdict? Bad bulb or bad ballast? I'm installing a new ballast/ignitor as well as a new bulb this week. Sux! Just had to show I really am not as retarted as I made myself seem. The bulb was melted making it impossible to get out.

Pictured is the damage followed by the replacement. ($50.01 shipped via ebay)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lighting.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	195829  
Old 08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
we have been fine with mtecs with no issues in regards to faulty bulbs
Old 08-07-2009, 03:42 PM

I'm not blaming them but the bulbs were generic umnitza bulbs. They sent me a set of spares (a return maybe?), which is what I am using now. I can't wait to use them again. The issue is the ballast I think (never through an error code so power was never interrupted), or it could be that I got one of the "zero defect" bulbs with an imperfection. Funny how that works...too bad the lottery isn't as kind.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:28 PM
BimmerJunkie

Mein Auto: 1998 Alpine White 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by occhis View Post
OK.

Hope that helps.
+1
Beat me to the punch but yep that is the way to do it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E92 335i/2002 530i
Quote:
OK.

Hope that helps.

I've tried this multiple times, but I can barely budge the socket! All Iím able to do is unplug the electrical source from the back of the low beam bulb.

Does this just require a ton of force? I'm afraid I'll break something if I twist the socket too hard
Old 01-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Here it is directly from the Bentley manual
Nice.
I'm gonna add that to the the VERY best of E39 Links
- How to replace your headlight bulbs (1)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 PM

For the record, there is useful information posted here today:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > How to Change Low Beam bulb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces1234 View Post
The replacement of the lowbeams bulb is actually very simple. It does help to remove the entire assembly. its just 4 little bolts. 2 small hex and 2 8mm.
You do not need to completely remove it just pull it away from the car a few inches so you can get behind it.
1. Remove the lowbeam wire marked with high voltage symbol.
2.remove the rubber boot. this just slips off. start at the outside(large) and then the inside(small).
3.remove the ring holding the bulb by turning it ccw 1/4 turn.
4.pull out the bulb.
5. do this in reverse to put back together.

Total time to do one light is about 20 min.
Be very careful not to torque on or force anything the self adjusters are very fragile and can break ez. The D2S bulb can be expensive (100$). And if you live in a ****ty little town like i do you will need to order it so be prepared to wait a couple days for the part.
if i have made some mistake in my directions please correct me. or if anyone can add something else usefull please do.
Thx..... ~Scott...2002 540i6
Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM

For the crosslinked record, this information was posted to the HID bulb thread today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > HID bulb replace...stuck, need help please! (Pic included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudl View Post
I just replaced one of the HID lamps. Some points I would like to add:

- You might be disuaded by the high voltage warning and the fat conduit. However, it's only 85V at 400+Hz (source wikipedia).
- Wear polyurethane gloves and wipe away dirt from working area before starting. Keeps inside of assembly cleaner and hands cut-free-er.
- The lamp is very wobbly if... because your adjusters are broken.
- Disconnect cable from lamp by unscrewing (counter-clockwise looking from back to front of car) less than 1/8 circle and wiggle it free. Cable is tight but has enough slack.
- Rubber boot is the whole flexible part hugging the lamp and the headlight assembly.
- Remove the boot by peeling it off, not by pulling. Start on the outer edge hugging the assembly. Flip it so you can see the inner surface of the boot. Easy. You now have access to the inside of the assembly.
- The boot is still hugging the lamp and the assembly on the inside. Reach all the way in until you can feel the boot meet the parabolic surface. Get your fingers inbetween and again more peel than pull. Boot is off.
- Remove plastic piece holding lamp in place by unscrewing less than 1/8 circle. Perhaps you can feel two bumps on the perimeter. A single tab is resting in the first one. After you turn the piece, it will be resting in the second one and the piece comes off. You might have to unscrew... screw back... unscrew some more... screw all the way back... until you finally manage to get the tab all the way into the second bump.

In the end I took the whole assembly out as per bmwdiy. Doing it in place is a bit harder than changing the regular H7 highbeam lamp. The original lamp was a 12 year old Osram Xenarc 66040. Replacement was a little used Philips 85122+. The difference in brightness is obvious. Taking out the assembly also brought the number of confirmed broken adjusters to a total of four. This headlight only points in the right direction by magic while the other one dips all the way down. I shall do the polish and replace adjusters procedure in summer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
85V is the operating voltage, but to ignite the bulb you need over 20 000V.
EDIT: And, in another thread today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aces1234 View Post
The replacement of the lowbeams bulb is actually very simple. It does help to remove the entire assembly. its just 4 little bolts. 2 small hex and 2 8mm.
You do not need to completely remove it just pull it away from the car a few inches so you can get behind it.
1. Remove the lowbeam wire marked with high voltage symbol.
2.remove the rubber boot. this just slips off. start at the outside(large) and then the inside(small).
3.remove the ring holding the bulb by turning it ccw 1/4 turn.
4.pull out the bulb.
5. do this in reverse to put back together.

Total time to do one light is about 20 min.
Be very careful not to torque on or force anything the self adjusters are very fragile and can break ez. The D2S bulb can be expensive (100$). And if you live in a ****ty little town like i do you will need to order it so be prepared to wait a couple days for the part.
if i have made some mistake in my directions please correct me. or if anyone can add something else usefull please do.
Thx..... ~Scott...2002 540i6

See also:
- Headlight aiming DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to physically remove the BMW E39 Hella headlights (1) & how to twist out the headlight bulbs (1) (2) (3) including HIDs (1) & which stock H7 'halogen' bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to physically remove the front turn signal bulb (1) (2) (3) (4) & what front turn signal bulb to replace it with (1) & how to remove the angel eye bulb (1) (2) (3) & which stock angel-eye bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to retrofit halogen angeleye bulbs to LEDs (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to modify pre-facelift headlights to angel eyes (1) (2) (3) (4) & headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & replacing just the headlight lens (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & how to cross reference all light bulbs for any BMW E39 including for the headlights, stoplights, backup, blinkers, dome, vanity, side markers, licplate, parking, fog, trunk/boot, glovebox, etc. (1) & more information if you really want to know everything about broken headlight adjusters (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) & how to make your own headlight adjusters (0) (1) (2) (3) and a summary list of all your options when your headlight adjusters are broken (1) & headlight autopsy photos (1) (2) (3) & an explanation of the weird flat spot on the USA spec headlights (1) (2) & an explanation of HID versus conventional headlights and why the high beam is always a halogen H7 bulb (1) (2) (3) & the age-old argument of whether to buy aftermarket DJ Auto or Depo headlights (1) or OEM Hellas (1).

Last edited by bluebee; 04-07-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
OK.

Hope that helps.
That, was used to help this person today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > hello community.....i need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw601 View Post
I am the orignal owner of a 2002 530i....things are breaking down on car I hope to learn some DIY from the community. The low beam on my headlight is burn outed. I cant seem to find a way to take the old bulb out? Ant insight on how to remove the low beam bulb is appreciated.
See also:
- How to cross reference all light bulbs for any BMW E39 including for the headlights, stoplights, backup, blinkers, dome, vanity, side markers, licplate, parking, fog, trunk/boot, glovebox, etc. (1)
Old 08-03-2014, 09:37 PM

For cross reference, another thread opened today on how to remove the bulbs:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Lowbeam bulb locking ring problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdandf View Post
I have read through the site and have seen many threads about replacing the bulbs. They all say twist locking ring counter clockwise and it will come off. I also saw one about pressing a tab.
I cant find a tab. And ive twisted with all my might and the ring wont budge.

any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet75 View Post
it is a twist and pull connector. if you turn it counter clockwise, and pull, it will come out. it is well sealed in there and may take some cussing.
no tab that I know of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
It's only intuitive after you've done it.
For help, type /bulb in the bestlinks, which finds, among others:
- How to twist out the headlight bulbs (1) (2) (3)

See also:
- Headlight aiming DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to physically remove the BMW E39 Hella headlights (1) & how to twist out the headlight bulbs (1) (2) (3) including HIDs (1) & which stock H7 'halogen' bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to physically remove the front turn signal bulb (1) (2) (3) (4) & what front turn signal bulb to replace it with (1) & how to remove the angel eye bulb (1) (2) (3) & which stock angel-eye bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to retrofit halogen angeleye bulbs to LEDs (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to modify pre-facelift headlights to angel eyes (1) (2) (3) (4) & headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & replacing just the headlight lens (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & how to cross reference all light bulbs for any BMW E39 including for the headlights, stoplights, backup, blinkers, dome, vanity, side markers, licplate, parking, fog, trunk/boot, glovebox, etc. (1) & more information if you really want to know everything about broken headlight adjusters (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) & how to make your own headlight adjusters (0) (1) (2) (3) and a summary list of all your options when your headlight adjusters are broken (1) & headlight autopsy photos (1) (2) (3) & an explanation of the weird flat spot on the USA spec headlights (1) (2) & an explanation of HID versus conventional headlights and why the high beam is always a halogen H7 bulb (1) (2) (3) & the age-old argument of whether to buy aftermarket DJ Auto or Depo headlights (1) or OEM Hellas (1).