Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3
$4,500 X5d tax credit

Is this $4,500 tax credit the same as the $4,500 trunk money? Bimmerfile made it known that BMW will be giving a $4,500 tax credit towards the purchase of a X5d. I can't imagine that this would be in addition to the $4,500 trunk money. Anybody know?
Ads by Google
Old 07-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 135 CV
They're the same, the $4500 that's being advertised isn't a tax credit, it's in fact the trunk $ (now technically a rebate I guess since they're advertising it).
Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: '98 323iS
Hmmm... If you did Euro Delivery on a 335d, would you get the $4500 rebate taken off the cost of the car?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 525iA
Be warned though, that the program only is good for:

-A new car (2008, 2009, 2010)
-The MSRP of the new car can not exceed $45,000 (this excludes the X5d then seeing it's base MSRP is $51k)
-Car must be purchased between July 1, 2009 and November 1, 2009
-Motorcycles do not qualify
-Clunker must be drivable
-You must have the title to present to the dealer (no lien)
-You must have the clunker continually registered and insured for at least a year
-The clunker can not exceed 25 years old
-Person who owns the clunker must be the same one who purchases the new car
-The average ( (city + hwy)/2) EPA mpg from fueleconomy.gov must be used
-Clunker must get (average) less than 18mpg
-New car must be at least a 4mpg (average) improvement
-Oil must be drained, and Sodium Sillicate poured in instead, and then run the engine on the clunker after exchanged
-Only a certain budget for the whole program is allowed; so if you take in a clunker near the end of the allowance date, but the budget is exhausted, you are stuck with a roasted car with glass in the engine instead of oil.
-Money is in the form of a rebate to the dealer, though for the consumer it is used as a down payment. Be careful dealers....

Correct me if I missed anything.

Last edited by Wolf-Strong; 07-25-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: X3

Amazing thread -- we've got manufacturer to customer rebates, manufacturer to dealer incentives, diesel incentives and the clunker program all wrapped up in a ball of string on this one...

Probably should start over.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 07-25-2009, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 525iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post

Amazing thread -- we've got manufacturer to customer rebates, manufacturer to dealer incentives, diesel incentives and the clunker program all wrapped up in a ball of string on this one...

Probably should start over.
Damn goverment/manufacturers making things too confusing now!

Why can't it just be like 99% of other businesses where it is just a simple purchase....I mean you don't go into Starbucks negotiating over 20 cents. Sigh...I hate complication.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Strong View Post
Be warned though, that the program only is good for:

-A new car (2008, 2009, 2010)
-The MSRP of the new car can not exceed $45,000 (this excludes the X5d then seeing it's base MSRP is $51k)
-Car must be purchased between July 1, 2009 and November 1, 2009
-Motorcycles do not qualify
-Clunker must be drivable
-You must have the title to present to the dealer (no lien)
-You must have the clunker continually registered and insured for at least a year
-The clunker can not exceed 25 years old
-Person who owns the clunker must be the same one who purchases the new car
-The average ( (city + hwy)/2) EPA mpg from fueleconomy.gov must be used
-Clunker must get (average) less than 18mpg
-New car must be at least a 4mpg (average) improvement
-Oil must be drained, and Sodium Sillicate poured in instead, and then run the engine on the clunker after exchanged
-Only a certain budget for the whole program is allowed; so if you take in a clunker near the end of the allowance date, but the budget is exhausted, you are stuck with a roasted car with glass in the engine instead of oil.
-Money is in the form of a rebate to the dealer, though for the consumer it is used as a down payment. Be careful dealers....

Correct me if I missed anything.
The $4500 is incentive money from BMW, not a credit from the Treasury, so these rules are not applicable. However, the BMW diesels do qualify for a different "green car" tax credit - $900 for the 335d and $1800 for the X5d.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 535, SL600
From cars.com

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...el-models.html

BMW Puts $4,500 Behind Diesel Models

"It's not likely that many folks would shop at a BMW dealership looking to cash in on the Cash for Clunkers program, which is why the company has launched a new incentive to promote its two fuel-efficient diesel models. A $4,500 "eco-credit" will go toward the purchase of either a new BMW 335d or an X5 xDrive35d, on top of current financing offers, and with no trade-in required.

A 335d starts at $43,900, so according to the government program's rules, it could qualify for either $3,500 or $4,500 in federal funds when exchanged for a clunker, no matter how many options it was loaded up with. The 335d is also eligible for a $900 tax credit. The 335d gets combined mileage of 27 mpg, versus a gas 335i's 20 mpg, while still delivering a thrilling driving experience. We found a few modestly equipped 335d models in Cars.com's inventory for $45,225. Add all the above incentives, and those would end up costing $35,325. Read our full review of the 335d here.

The X5 starts at $51,200 and thus would not be eligible for the government incentive (program rules say any vehicle with an MSRP over $45,000 can't be bought using Cash for Clunkers), but with BMW's eco-credit it would cost less than a base X5 xDrive30i. The diesel incentive offer runs through August."

2007 750LI (gone but not forgotten)
Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: '08 135 CV
Quote:
Originally Posted by want_a_7 View Post
From cars.com

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...el-models.html

BMW Puts $4,500 Behind Diesel Models

"It's not likely that many folks would shop at a BMW dealership looking to cash in on the Cash for Clunkers program, which is why the company has launched a new incentive to promote its two fuel-efficient diesel models. A $4,500 "eco-credit" will go toward the purchase of either a new BMW 335d or an X5 xDrive35d, on top of current financing offers, and with no trade-in required.

A 335d starts at $43,900, so according to the government program's rules, it could qualify for either $3,500 or $4,500 in federal funds when exchanged for a clunker, no matter how many options it was loaded up with. The 335d is also eligible for a $900 tax credit. The 335d gets combined mileage of 27 mpg, versus a gas 335i's 20 mpg, while still delivering a thrilling driving experience. We found a few modestly equipped 335d models in Cars.com's inventory for $45,225. Add all the above incentives, and those would end up costing $35,325. Read our full review of the 335d here.

The X5 starts at $51,200 and thus would not be eligible for the government incentive (program rules say any vehicle with an MSRP over $45,000 can't be bought using Cash for Clunkers), but with BMW's eco-credit it would cost less than a base X5 xDrive30i. The diesel incentive offer runs through August."
That's interesting, the way I read cash for clunkers the $45K cap contemplates the MSRP of the purchased car, not the base price without options. Anyone here who has researched this specifically?

Too bad I don't have a fuel-guzzling beater to trade in on a 335d, that car would be an amazing buy for someone in a situation where they could take advantage of the BMW incentive $ and the CforC money.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Imported

Mein Auto: gas guzzler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWM135 View Post
That's interesting, the way I read cash for clunkers the $45K cap contemplates the MSRP of the purchased car, not the base price without options. Anyone here who has researched this specifically?

Too bad I don't have a fuel-guzzling beater to trade in on a 335d, that car would be an amazing buy for someone in a situation where they could take advantage of the BMW incentive $ and the CforC money.
The .gov cash for clunker website says "base MSRP (before options and accessories are added)." It also says 335i does not get the minimum 22 combined mpg. And the real killer, the cash for clunker credit/rebate is a replacement for the regular trade in value, because the car must be scrapped, and the dealer will not give you trade in money, so its only worth as much as 3500/4500 minus your clunkers trade in value. Also another guy posted earlier that the clunker must get "less than 18 mpg", its "actually 18 (combined) mpg or less ."

http://di.fm

Last edited by Digitally; 07-26-2009 at 04:42 PM.