Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-27-2013, 05:23 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Third gear problems?

So I know my clutch and flywheel are old, ailing, and the flywheel is increasingly noisy. I am sure the DMF is about done for and I might be overcoming the springs max compression under hard acceleration, but could that cause this new issue?

Drive the car, everything feels pretty good. Idles good, pulls hard, etc. I am getting on the interstate and decide to let it run. I hammer it in first gear, pulls hard all the way to redline, hit second, same story up to 57mph or so since I have the 3.46, then nail third and away we go, 60-70 and climbing. When it gets to 6,000 rpm it stops making power, the car shudders, and sputters and I get a CEL and power goes bye bye.

I pull over on the interstate and pull my scanner out and check the codes (you carry a scanner in your glove box don't you? ) and I have misfires on all cylinders. Clear the codes, car drives the remaining 20 miles home with no issues.

Then I get curious and drive it again later in the day, same story. 1st and 2nd pull all the way to 6800rpm with no issue, when I get to 3rd gear, the car stops and sputters at 6,000. This time I get a p0305 or cylinder 5 misfire. Only difference between 1st and 2nd gears vs 3rd is the speed with which the RPMs climb. Third labors a little longer in the higher rev range. Could this be high RPM spark issues? Fuel injector issue? Maybe I have a bad cylinder?

Seems weird it only happens in third gear and not EVERY time. I plan to do a compression test tomorrow to verify that my cylinders are ok, but I seriously doubt it would run as good as it does with a bad cylinder. Maybe the DMF is causing issues? I just don't know.

Ideas? (recently replaced spark plugs, oil separator....again, MAF, fuel filter, fuel pump, VANOS seals, air filter, DISA valve, etc, only thing I haven't replaced are the coil packs and injectors which both have 200k miles on them)

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....

Last edited by smolck; 10-27-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Device Under Test

Mein Auto: '04 325xi
First off, coil packs. The harder you're pushing the coil packs, the more you're pushing the limits of the insulation. With degradation (not mileage so much as time), the resistance of the insulation will decrease to the point that your coil pack MAY, under harsh conditions, short to the head. Try wrapping them with a good class H glass-fiber electrical insulation tape before swapping them. Know from experience, trust.

At the same time, it's odd that it would throw a misfire on ALL cylinders at the time... But, an unexpected spark loss like that could interfere with the entire system by providing a momentary path to ground.

Enough miles to make it to the moon... Here's to getting home.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:03 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Interestingly, tonight I took it for a drive and had NO symptoms. Had it pull hard in third all the way to redline a couple times. Will try the coil pack thing, thanks for the heads up.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-29-2013, 03:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
try switching the 5th coil packs, 1st with 5th for example, and see what happens
once i had the same issue as u, weird enough it was also the 5th , turned out to be loose, installed it correctly and never got that problem again

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Intake, headers, upgraded fuel injectors, and a custom tune.

What? Why are you looking at me like that?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci bmw sliver
Re: Third gear problems?

I have had the same problem for months now and have never been able to find a answer but it hadn't happened in a while thankfully. Also i would clean you Massive air flow sensor that seemed to help me a little bit. And when it misfires is it wet or cold outside?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Intake, headers, upgraded fuel injectors, and a custom tune.

What? Why are you looking at me like that?
Considering it!

The car has not done it since Sunday. Runs as good as can be expected. Still going to get my injectors rebuilt and see what that does.

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-29-2013, 12:07 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Third gear problems?

My vote is coil packs for the symptoms described. Knew somebody with exactly the same issue and cel codes. But with auto. Coil pack is was.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Starless; 10-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:45 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
My vote is coil packs for the symptoms described. Knew somebody with exactly the same issue and cel codes. But with auto. Coil pack is was.

I thought that too, but I have never seen a coil pack flake out and not throw codes more often. I mean, I ONLY got them a couple times above 6000 rpm and NEVER EVER have I gotten a misfire code any other time since owning the car.

A guy has some for sale for $50 for all 6, says they have 33k miles on them, may go that route.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Device Under Test

Mein Auto: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I thought that too, but I have never seen a coil pack flake out and not throw codes more often. I mean, I ONLY got them a couple times above 6000 rpm and NEVER EVER have I gotten a misfire code any other time since owning the car.

A guy has some for sale for $50 for all 6, says they have 33k miles on them, may go that route.
Yeah, that's a hell of a deal. Even if you ultimately figure out it's not your coil packs, have a few extras will never hurt you.

Enough miles to make it to the moon... Here's to getting home.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:32 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Third gear problems?

+1 on coil packs, mine went out last month for cylinders 3 & 5 after 153K. 1K later on the new ones no issue. Mine would sputter on cold starts and when I would wot during freeway driving.

Sounds like yours are just starting to go out. They exhibit the problem the more load you require from the combustion chamber- more air, fuel, heat.

Do the coil pack switch to see if it moves, when it does that's your confirmation of the failing one.

Last edited by av98; 10-30-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:41 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Hadn't gotten any codes for a few days. Today in third, at 6200rpm I got p0015. Cleared code. Ran it hard in third again and got p0305. Cleared code ran it hard again and got p0305, p0306, and p0313.

Confused if it is injectors or coils

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Third gear problems?

P0305 and p0306 are definitely coil misfires for cylinder 5 & 6.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i Sedan
So what was the fix for this?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadyn2021 View Post
So what was the fix for this?

This thread is a year old, and Smolck hasn`t been around too much since he sold his ZHP....maybe he`ll pop up here and surprise us....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....