Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstoy View Post
I'm going to try and get a new cap and see if that does the trick. The 28-30 seconds happens if the car if hot or cold so I'm guessing you are probably right about the computer going through it's diagnostics. I'll post again after getting the cap.
Hope it's the cap!! Cheap and fast. Just the way I like it

"It is little use listening to other people as they will either be agreeing with you or saying stupid stuff" - Dogbert

I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh!ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh!t makes you an idiot, not an optimist.

2004 325i - Sport package - 5MT- clears - CDV mod - M3 gauge faces w/silver gauge rings & red needles - SS exhaust tips - strut tower brace - Hotchkis anti-sway bars -50% tint - shadow grills - roof spoiler - silver CF trim
Old 08-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Is the correct size of the original o-ring 8.0x3.0 (8mm ID, 3mm thickness)?
In the alternator & cooling system thread ... I measured a new FAE coolant temperature sensor o-ring at 0.330" ID by 0.115" thick (i.e., 8mmIDx3mmThick) which is the same 8x3 size as the BMW PN 13621743299 intake manifold air temperature sensor. It apparently fits all E39 and E46 vehicles; I'd recommended adding it to your cooling system overhaul recommended parts list.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_coolant_temperature_sensor_o-ring.gif
Views:	28978
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	241137  

Last edited by bluebee; 08-06-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Are we certain that the print material ia the required material for the alternate application?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
I'm next to replace the O-ring. I've been losing some coolant and I saw some traces of coolant around the sensor on the lower rad. hose.

Time to pay a visit to the dealership parts dept to place the big order How much is the O-ring, btw?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
shipping for a .99 thing is $8.92.... from ECS Tunining

even more in other net stores.

my axx hurts... i feel raped
Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemanleo View Post
shipping for a .99 thing is $8.92.... from ECS Tunining

even more in other net stores.

my axx hurts... i feel raped
I just picked up mine at the dealership today $1.42 No shipping, no axx pain...They special ordered it for me
Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcoul View Post
You did prelube the whole tip of the sensor with undiluted antifreeze?
On July 7th, 2010, BavAuto says to use Vaseline but any pool store would say to use Teflon-based o-ring lubricants ...

To find a good source of the lubricant, I opened a thread on the o-ring lubricants over here today.

BMW E46 Lower Radiator Hose Leak at Temperature Sensor – M54 – E39 X5 X3 Z4 Z3

July 7th, 2010
Q
Replaced a bunch of parts, one is the lower radiator hose when doing a belt replacenment. It is leaking at the sensor connector. Replaced the sensor and it is still leaking with new. Here is a reply from Mike at BMW CCA. Do you have some additional recommends? “The new style hoses have a plastic quick disconnect mechanism that uses an o-ring seal. This was in response to the fact that the engine compartments are incredibly tight nowadays, and there’s no room to get in there with a hose clamp tool. Of course, the new style means it’s easy to break the brittle plastic and you have to think about the o-rings. Anytime you see an o-ring, you should take it off, inspect it for cracks or deterioration under a light, and if none is found, lubricate it with Vaseline before reinstalling. If the o-ring breaks when you take it off, it needed to be replaced anyway. I doubt the problem is the hose itself. I would say the connector is either not snapped in completely, the o-ring is shot, or the plastic is cracked..

A
I have a new hose and the temp sensor, here at my desk. All appears to be as I would expect. This is actually a fairly common issue when either the hose or the sensor are replaced, on the M54 engine applications. The o-ring compresses adequately as the sensor is installed in the plastic fitting at the hose end. During actual installation, I would lubricate the o-ring with some Vaseline. I agree with Mike, that the sensor is likely either not plugged in fully or that the o-ring is not seated properly or is damaged. Remove it one more time, inspect the o-ring, if it’s OK, lube it and re-install. Make sure that both snap clips are fully engaged. Please let us know what you find.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 AM
*^^^^^^^^*

Completed the DIY succesfully. Just the O-ring (BMW part # 13621743299), not the sensor itself. I was impatient to wait for the car to get completely cold (like in the morning), so I went for it and lost may be half a cup of coolant (was not too bad but had to wipe it off of the garage floor). The old o-ring was toast - flat and hardened. Hopefully it will stop my little mysterious coolant leak

Last edited by Starless; 09-13-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 WRX
I am going to be replacing my o-ring tomorrow and wanted to know what you mean by "lubing" it with coolant? just dab the tip of the sensor with a few drops of antifreeze? Also, is this DIY the same for a car with an automatic transmission? I bet it is, just probably a bit more cramped.

Is the coolant dripping out going to be a problem for the car other than the mess it makes? since I wont be able to quickly replace the sensor since I am going to have to pull it out, remove old O-ring, install new o-ring, lube with coolant, and stick back in - I will probably lose some coolant, so I imagine I should just refill it? I am normally not this nervous about fixing my car, but the cooling system really makes me jumpy on these vehicles.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 PM
You can call me Bill

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
I did mine today in the manner you describe, lost maybe a half cup in the process, easily refilled when I resealed it. I have an auto trans, and it's tight but not impossible to reach with one hand. Bought a multi-pack of o-rings at autozone for about $3. and the leak stopped.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdgiles View Post
I did mine today in the manner you describe, lost maybe a half cup in the process, easily refilled when I resealed it. I have an auto trans, and it's tight but not impossible to reach with one hand. Bought a multi-pack of o-rings at autozone for about $3. and the leak stopped.
It actually seems quite easy to reach, just look down the left side of the engine bay in the front and there it is. I was worried when people said "lower rad hose" that it might be placed on the bottom, or further back out of reach.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdgiles View Post
Mind posting what size o-ring you bought at AutoZone?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 AM

This has been a nightmare trying to get the sensor out. over an hour of pulling, angling, trying to fit two hands, trying vice grips, removing other cables to get better leverage and I cannot remove the old sensor.

Any tips?

Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 PM

never mind, just gonna pay the shop to do it lol, $32.50 in laborz oh noes
Old 10-19-2010, 05:26 AM
You can call me Bill

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Ouch, sorry. I used the 8mmx3mm one referenced somewhere above

Old 12-04-2010, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325 XI
New to Bimmerfest and found this thread was a huge help. Had a slow coolant leak, couldn't find the source. Joined Bimmerfest and started searching and found this thread.

Couple auto part stores in the area did not have a o-ring same size as original but found a 9/16 OD x 5/16 ID x 1/8 at Home Depot. Slightly larger than original but fit. Installed it about a week ago have put about five hundred miles on and no leaks. This being a "plumbing" o-ring not sure how long it will last compared with original but I got 10 in the box for $1.72 Changing the o-ring is so easy, so way better off than the $40 it would have cost for the new sensor from the dealer. BTW, actually first went the route of a new sensor from NAPA. Installed it and it fit loosely in the port, clearly wrong tolerance or may just wrong part. Regardless happy with my $0.17 o-ring replacement.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 330iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshi View Post
Couple auto part stores in the area did not have a o-ring same size as original but found a 9/16 OD x 5/16 ID x 1/8 at Home Depot.
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Do you have a UPC or some sort of part number for those o-rings you got at Home Depot?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Danco #96745 or #31. Found them in the plumbing section next to the washers, fittings, etc. Checked Danco website for info on material used for the o-ring, couldn't find any. Found a reference on another site that material is NBR or Buna-N which claims to be rated at -40 to 108 C. Don't know what the average coolant is but thinking it is around 170 - 190 F so should be good, at least for a while. Anyone have trouble with these type of o-rings?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 330iS
Buna-N is the lower quality o-ring type that they use in the Vanos seals and those fail being replaced with ones made out of Viton (infamous Vanos seals can be bought from Beisan Systems). Viton has a higher tolerance for heat.

I am not sure what the geniune OEM o-rings for that coolant sensor are made out of though

Those Dancos should last you a while though. Did yours just leak all of a sudden? I notice there is not much tension holding down the sensor into that lower coolant hose...even the genuine sensor with o-ring.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshi View Post
Danco #96745 or #31. Found them in the plumbing section next to the washers, fittings, etc. Checked Danco website for info on material used for the o-ring, couldn't find any. Found a reference on another site that material is NBR or Buna-N which claims to be rated at -40 to 108 C. Don't know what the average coolant is but thinking it is around 170 - 190 F so should be good, at least for a while. Anyone have trouble with these type of o-rings?
I bought the same ones at Lowes and haven't had any problems with it for over 1000 miles For less than 2 bucks for a pack of 10, I would be willing to replace these on an annual basis if necessary. But I'm sure they will hold up longer than that tho.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Those Dancos should last you a while though. Did yours just leak all of a sudden? I notice there is not much tension holding down the sensor into that lower coolant hose...even the genuine sensor with o-ring.
I was monitoring the leak for a about three weeks. Adding a couple ounces of coolant now and then. One morning the coolant level sensor lit up, that's when I joined the fest and replaced the o-ring.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 10 528, 02 330i, 92 535i
I picked up some of those Danco orings today, they look like a much better fit, anything is better than an oring that only lasts one year or so.

Since the Danco's come in packs of 10 you can put an extra one or two in your car to give someone that has a leak on the side of the road

Edit, new oring leaking at first test. Luckily I had one of the crappy OEM ones on hand.........
Looks like these fatter orings will not always seal properly due to being mashed in there.
It took pliers on the tabs to pull it out.

Last edited by Bking; 12-12-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
2003 325i

my coolant pours out immediately when i pour it in, i thought it was the hoses but the hoses look fine. what should i do
Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdilljr View Post
my coolant pours out immediately when i pour it in, i thought it was the hoses but the hoses look fine. what should i do

very interesting

more details?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Can drive maybe 3-4 miles at most going real slow and red over heat light will come on, also my heater will not get warm...here's a pic, when you pour coolant in you can look under the car and see it coming out, just don't know where it's coming from