Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series

M Series
The ///M Series Forums. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 08-21-2003, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: car
Window trouble

Shortly after buying this car I noticed that, when using the one touch feature of the power windows, the window would only go up part way then go back down a couple inches and stop. repeated tries or holding the window switch would make the window roll all the way up.

I inquired to my dealer about it and they gave me a proceedure to "set" the window (roll up, hold button 15 sec. Roll down, hold button 15 sec)
This worked initially but soon the problem resurfaced. Now it does nothing at all.

The window rolls down fine and it is only the drivers window. Anyone had this problem? Is there some adjustment I must make or module I must replace? I'm sure this is not a model specific problem.

Thanks in advance,
haus
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2003, 09:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A sleeper......
it's a problem ... you might try gummifledge on the window. Is the one-touch up not working at all, or is it going up and then coming back down again??

You can try the reset ... but, also use gummifledge. Sometimes, the window's tracking (plastic things) get's a little mis-aligned. However, it's a MAJOR PITA to fix ... because you will definitely break some tabs just trying to fix it ...
Old 08-21-2003, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jderry
it's a problem ... you might try gummifledge on the window. Is the one-touch up not working at all, or is it going up and then coming back down again??

You can try the reset ... but, also use gummifledge. Sometimes, the window's tracking (plastic things) get's a little mis-aligned. However, it's a MAJOR PITA to fix ... because you will definitely break some tabs just trying to fix it ...
Goes up say 4 inches then comes back down 2. I use Gummipfledge every other week.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
I believe on the E46, this problem occurred on the sunroof. IIRC, the control module needed to be replaced with one with an older software version.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: A sleeper......
If you are a DIY'er ... here's a good link to try and diagnose the problem then.

http://www.understeer.com/window.shtml

1) I would try opening the door and seeing if the one-touch goes up fine that way. If so, the window is going up to sharp of an angle in the window frame. You'll have to remove the door panel to fix this and adjust the window in it's track, or alternatively, make sure the door panel is aligned correctly.

2) I would also recommend taking out your window switch and cleaning the contact area, just to be sure it's not something like that.

3) For myself, I ended up replacing the window motor to solve the problem because it was annoying the crap out of me. However, that's not a cheap part. If you take a look, the window motor is attached to a sprocket by a cylinder head with threads. However, that stupid sprocket is plastic and it's covered so you can't see it until you pull it all apart. Basically, it will continue to do that until the window becomes stuck.

IIRC, the window stops because it senses an obstruction. The obstruction is detected by determining the amount of current draw that the motor is sensing. When the current draw of the motor goes up, the window thinks there is an obstruction. Since you are using gummifledge already ... I am almost positive it is indicative of a failing window motor.

Remember that you will need a T20 and T30 torx. There should be 2 T20 bolts in the door handle, another one behind the door handle, and the window motor should have 3 T30 bolts. It's a b#tch to replace! Because it is backwards facing ... Yeah, I got to the window motor and realized, didn't have a T30 torx ... ... had to wait until next day to finish ...

P.S. -- buy extra plastic tabs ... MORE than you need ... trust me
Old 08-21-2003, 09:57 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_d_haus
Shortly after buying this car I noticed that, when using the one touch feature of the power windows, the window would only go up part way then go back down a couple inches and stop. repeated tries or holding the window switch would make the window roll all the way up.

I inquired to my dealer about it and they gave me a proceedure to "set" the window (roll up, hold button 15 sec. Roll down, hold button 15 sec)
This worked initially but soon the problem resurfaced. Now it does nothing at all.

The window rolls down fine and it is only the drivers window. Anyone had this problem? Is there some adjustment I must make or module I must replace? I'm sure this is not a model specific problem.

Thanks in advance,
haus

This happened on mine, too. The dealer "adjusted" the window a couple of times, which did nothing, and lubed the crap out of the mechanism, which did nothing except leak lubricant out the door onto the paint for the next 6 months. I lived with it.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: '08 Z4
I don't have that problem yet, but the driver side window is noticeably slower than the passenger side. I just assume the motor will burn out eventually.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: '95 M3
I have the same problem... I just bought a '95 M3 with 44,000miles, I've only had it for a few weeks, but it has that same exact window problem.