Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
DIY: Changing your oil using an oil extractor.

I am sure there are plenty of DIYs dealing with using an oil extractor to change your oil but I wanted to give my perspective and do my part in enriching this experience.

Step one:
  • Buy 7 quarts of BMW synthetic oil. (this is variable because not everybody uses BMW oil, and some may need more or less oil).
  • Buy an OE oil filter with the replacement seal. It's important to have the seal.
  • It is assumed you already have an oil extracting device with a capacity of 7 quarts or more (6.6 liters). I purchased the MityVac 7400 from amazon.com for $51 shipped.
  • Make sure you have a 36mm socket and a half inch drive. Or you can use an adjustable wrench, but be extremely careful not to damage the oil filter cover in any way. Proceed with extreme care.

--

--

Step two.
  • Drive to a local auto store which collects oil. Find a flat parking space.
  • Wear some gloves and place all your tools and products in front of the car.
  • The oil needs to be warm before extracting it.

Step three.
  • Remove your oil dipstick. It is very important that the dipstick stays uncontaminated, so place it in a clean and secure spot.
  • Make sure the extracting tube is also clean and uncontaminated. The tube must freely enter the dipstick tube, until it reaches the bottom of the oil pan. Do not force it more than it can take.
  • Make sure the extracting tube fits securely into the extracting device.
  • Start pumping the device until it feels hard to press down. At this moment you should see black oil coming out of the dipstick into the collecting device.
  • This will take a while, so while you are at it, look around your engine and inspect the area for leaks, damages, inspect the hoses, clean it a little...and so on.
  • When the pressure inside the collecting device goes down, it will stop sucking oil. So pump the device more. Do not remove the oil filter yet because I think it may help with the oil extraction in the last drops. This is up to you.
  • After 15 minutes, the collecting device should start to fill up and the oil coming out of the oil pan should start to be less frequent, or voluminous.
  • Be very persistent with getting every little drop out of the oil, and do not panic if the oil total volume of oil extracted in not quite 6.6 liters, you have probably burned some oil. I extracted close to 5.9-6.2 liters of oil.

--

--

--

Step four.
  • Carefully remove your oil filter cover, and make sure to have paper towels or plastic bags around to place your old oil filter.
  • Remove the old filter and clean the area inside to oil filter container (I can't remember the proper term now).
  • Replace the ring seal and put the new oil filter.
  • You might want to pour some new oil in there, to avoid the red oil light when starting the car after the whole procedure. Either way, it doesn't make much difference.
  • Tighten the oil filter cover to 25 nM or snug it up. Be very careful not to force anything.
  • After the previous step, reinsert the oil dipstick, and pour 5 1/2 quarts of new oil in there.
  • Check the dipstick. The oil level should be between the two high ends.
  • Add oil as needed, most likely you will need 6 1/5 quarts or more and this is a good indication you have extracted all the oil out.
  • Start your car and let it run for 5 minutes. See if there is any oil coming out of the oil filter cover. If not, you're done. If yes, fix that.
  • take your container to auto zone and dump the oil.

***No pictures because my camera's battery ran out***

Final step.
  • Clean up.
  • Drive your car around, and then turn it off let it cool for five minutes and check you oil level.
  • The whole process should not take more than 45 minutes.

Another good link: http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_oil_extractor.shtml

Hopefully this helps somebody.

Last edited by AlboBMW; 07-31-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2009, 02:09 PM
The Ultimate Übermensch

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Interesting that you pump while the tube is in the dipstick tube. I pump mine up to 15psi and secure the clamp before I insert the tube. The oil begins to flow but sometimes the flow stops. Last time I pumped it out like you describe and all was good. Thanks for the write up.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Fully Dysfunctional

Mein Auto: 02 325i
Nice write up, but if people are looking to change their oil in this manner, I don't think they will be searching "Chaning your oil using an oil extractor"...

That costs too mucking fuch ! !...

Sig courtesy of SolidJake...

Last edited by Bucknekkid; 07-31-2009 at 02:16 PM.
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Nice write up

No video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj330Ci View Post
Interesting that you pump while the tube is in the dipstick tube. I pump mine up to 15psi and secure the clamp before I insert the tube. The oil begins to flow but sometimes the flow stops. Last time I pumped it out like you describe and all was good. Thanks for the write up.
The extractor I have is very simple. Don't you have the MV 7201? I think those are fancier.

I followed the instructions on the brochure with which it came
Old 07-31-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknekkid View Post
Nice write up, but if people are looking to change their oil in this manner, I don't think they will be searching "Chaining your oil using an oil extractor"...
Good point. I hope a mod/admin can help there. Jake-O, you still got the keys to this place dontcha?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Fully Dysfunctional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlboBMW View Post
Good point. I hope a mod/admin can help there. Jake-O, you still got the keys to this place dontcha?
I'm sure you'll get help !...

Old 07-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Das rampen abwarten

Mein Auto: 04 330xi,Audi A6,AlfaSpid
Thanks for the write-up, but I don't get what you are saying here:
Quote:
When the pressure inside the collecting device goes down, it will stop sucking oil. So pump the device more. Do not remove the oil filter yet because it helps with the oil extraction by not allowing air to enter.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:19 PM
The one and only

Quote:
Lol, I'm no admin. If you want to put in a good word for me then go ahead.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the write-up, but I don't get what you are saying here:
Good objection/question. I meant to say that in last drops of oil, it may help getting it all out if you don't remove your filter. This is pure speculation and I will edit the post. Good catch.

I hope an admin corrects the title.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 535i
that is awesome!!
Old 07-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Fully Dysfunctional

Quote:
You got your wish !...

Old 07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknekkid View Post
You got your wish !...
I wonder who helped out with that.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I wonder who helped out with that.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:29 PM

thanks Kris
Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2006 M3, 2002 M5
Just did this and wrote up a post with some pics: http://bit.ly/2RoONl

It was interesting to see how different the Mahle and Mann filters are.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 PM

pretty easy right?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330XI
Just make sure that the oil is not too hot for extraction. If you only drove a few miles you should be ok. Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 330iS
Quote:
[*]Make sure the extracting tube is also clean and uncontaminated.
Sort of a newb question but how are you supposed to clean this device and the tubes after you are done with it? Aside from the topic of used oil in an oil extractor, I have a mityvac for brake bleeding that I have yet to use and I wonder how I am going to clean that after I am done with it. I have been reading on this and a lot of people like it, but I am not quite sold on it yet seeing how it's yet another pump device I have to figure out how to clean since obviously you cannot use just water. Is it even safe to use like dishwashing soap and water, but to let it fully dry somehow?

How does everyone else clean their oil extractors, mityvacs, and hand pump attachments that go onto differential fluid (or other fluid) bottles?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2006 M3, 2002 M5
Quote:
[*]Make sure the extracting tube is also clean and uncontaminated.
Um, just rinse out? I'm only using pump to extract, so what's the issue?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Sort of a newb question but how are you supposed to clean this device and the tubes after you are done with it? Aside from the topic of used oil in an oil extractor, I have a mityvac for brake bleeding that I have yet to use and I wonder how I am going to clean that after I am done with it. I have been reading on this and a lot of people like it, but I am not quite sold on it yet seeing how it's yet another pump device I have to figure out how to clean since obviously you cannot use just water. Is it even safe to use like dishwashing soap and water, but to let it fully dry somehow?

How does everyone else clean their oil extractors, mityvacs, and hand pump attachments that go onto differential fluid (or other fluid) bottles?

Well, since you will use it again, I wouldn't worry too much about getting it too clean, because you will use ti again. right!

it is safe to use anti-geese soaps as long as you dispose them properly, with the oil. Acetone after the water with soap, and it's clean.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Properly chastised re: Xi

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Sort of a newb question but how are you supposed to clean this device and the tubes after you are done with it?
I wondered about this too after my first time using the 7201 a few weeks ago, and concluded that I'd just hold the dipstick tube up in the air and pump a few times to pull out what it could. Then after emptying the container at AutoZone, I hung the tubes up in my basement storage with a few paper towels taped to the tube ends, and am leaving whatever collects in the MityVac there. I too am only going to use it for extraction so I don't care about cleaning it.

One thing I would note about the original post: when you see and hear bubbles blowing into the MityVac, the oil has been sucked out as far as it's going to go. Otherwise this was exactly the process I followed and it worked great.

The oil light on the dash was red after restarting the engine for only about 6 seconds, and it hasn't been back on since, not even yellow.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:

Fair question.

Answer: I've never cleaned mine.

I've done the bimmer maybe 9 or 10 times, the Mini maybe twice, and various other things (garden tiller shaft drive, tractor sump, etc.).

I just pour the oil out into tight recyclable containers and take it to the Seminole County hazardous waste disposal facility.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i ZSP
Quote:
it is safe to use anti-geese soaps as long as you dispose them properly
Are geese dangerous to the Mityvac? I know their poop isn't goood for my Bimmer's paint

"It is little use listening to other people as they will either be agreeing with you or saying stupid stuff" - Dogbert

I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh!ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh!t makes you an idiot, not an optimist.

2004 325i - Sport package - 5MT- clears - CDV mod - M3 gauge faces w/silver gauge rings & red needles - SS exhaust tips - strut tower brace - Hotchkis anti-sway bars -50% tint - shadow grills - roof spoiler - silver CF trim
Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: E46
What about taking the oil cap off the crankcase before extracting the oil?