Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to ibaj
Mein Auto: 330i
100,000 Mile Service

I'm hitting 100,000 miles on my 330i and need to find a great service center to work on my car. I live in Orange County, Ca and have used one in the past; but I don't trust them anymore as they wanted to charge me $300 to install a Shark. After further research I found out all you really need to do is connect the chip to the car. They REALLY likes to charge me for things I don't need. Please let me know if you've taken your car some where and you were happy with their work.

Also, what needs to be done at the 100,000 mile mark, besides oil change and spark plugs? If it's something that small I can do the work myself.

I tried to do a search for past posts to answer my questions asked above without success. Thanks in advance for your help as you guys and gals have always been a great resource.

Andyman
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2009, 07:01 AM
In my own cars again

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaj View Post
Also, what needs to be done at the 100,000 mile mark, besides oil change and spark plugs? If it's something that small I can do the work myself.
Look at pages 4 and 5 here -

http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf

Look through the 60K (Insp II) items as well as what is listed for 100K. If you aren't sure what has been done, consider going the extra mile. There are great DIY's available for most of the maintenance items on the list. It's a great car to work on.

And if the water pump has not yet been changed - DO IT.

--Micah O'C
CCA 193374
'88 M5, Bilstein Sports/ST Springs, staggered BBS RS, Euro conversion
'92 M5 Touring - BL01001 - first M5 Touring ever built
'04 330i ZHP, Jet Black 6spd, hot seats, LightWerkz TFX-Xenon, Bilstein PSS10
UUC Strut/SwayBarbarians, PowerFlex CAB/TAB, Performance Gearing 3.38 LSD

Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM
aka cngzsn

Just change the spark plugs and oxygen sensors. I don't remember anything else that needs to be changed at 100k miles (as per factory recommendation).

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW 6MT - Sold
Kashmir Beige MetallicSamana BeigePoplar Wood e34 525it ZPP/Auto
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
Old 08-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Just change the spark plugs and oxygen sensors. I don't remember anything else that needs to be changed at 100k miles (as per factory recommendation).
Correct.. there's not even an oil change at 100k.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 328i
If your control arms haven't been changed by 100k, i'd take a good look at your arms/bushings. Symptoms would be shaking steering wheel etc
Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
I doubt the engine cares what symbolical number of miles it has. It only cares for proper maintenance. So whether it has 50k miles or 100k miles, just keep the car tuned up, cleaned up, with all the necessary maintenance and it will do another 100k no problems.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 01 330i 09K13GT 83R100RS
Quote:
I'm hitting 100,000 miles on my 330i and need to find a great service center to work on my car. I live in Orange County, Ca and have used one in the past; but I don't trust them anymore as they wanted to charge me $300 to install a Shark. After further research I found out all you really need to do is connect the chip to the car. They REALLY likes to charge me for things I don't need. Please let me know if you've taken your car some where and you were happy with their work.

I tried to do a search for past posts to answer my questions asked above without success. Thanks in advance for your help as you guys and gals have always been a great resource.
I have established that the dealership where I bought my car (Alhambra) is honest, unfortunately, the most important factor is still there....expensive. I decided to DIY like: overhaul of cooling system, control arms and bushings, brake fluid flushing, change oil and filter, change front wheel bearings, 6 spark plugs. All these with the help of people from this forum. My car 01 330i is also nearing 100K, for which I intend to replace the two sensor and probably add the valve cover gasket,... that's nothing as compared to what I already have done. However, if you do not have the time or place to do it, that would be a little bit different story. After the DIY's I have done, I have more confidence in my car knowing that most of the weak links are replaced or inspected.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to ibaj
First of all, thanks for your replies. And with that being said, after looking at the list posted at: http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf page 4 - 5, it states flushing the brake fluid. I would assume it's not hard to flush it, but I've always been told you will never need to flush your brake system unless air has entered your system. I did upgrade the brakes and rotors about 30k and have had no problems using the old fluid. Also, is it a good idea to replace the spark plug wires as well? And, where is the gas filter located?

It looks like I can do all this work myself without any problems. I agree, the cooling system is very touchy e46, so I'll replace the pump and flush the system as well.

Andyman
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Quote:
First of all, thanks for your replies. And with that being said, after looking at the list posted at: http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf page 4 - 5, it states flushing the brake fluid. I would assume it's not hard to flush it, but I've always been told you will never need to flush your brake system unless air has entered your system. I did upgrade the brakes and rotors about 30k and have had no problems using the old fluid. Also, is it a good idea to replace the spark plug wires as well? And, where is the gas filter located?

It looks like I can do all this work myself without any problems. I agree, the cooling system is very touchy e46, so I'll replace the pump and flush the system as well.

What you've heard about fluid is incorrect. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, so it absorbs water over time. That water has a much lower boiling point, and that's what causes air. Keeping the fluid fresh (BMW says you should flush every 2 years) will keep air out!

There are no spark plug wires. Coil-on-plug design.

For the fuel filter location, see the DIY in the wiki.

As part of the cooling system, include all hoses, belts, coolant expansion tank, thermostat, water pump, and idler pulleys.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 01 330i 09K13GT 83R100RS
Quote:

I would suggest working in one area at a time: cooling system is one whole group; fuel filter is underneath the driver side - work in a well ventilated area, don't forget to wrap the filter with a rag filter as you pull it out to prevent spilling the gas all over your face. I used a vacuum to flush the brake fluid - it is very easy job.

Regards