Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 08-24-2003, 06:57 PM
What to do...?

Mein Auto: 128i
Broken Fuel Gauge?

Strange thing happened today when I first started my car:

The fuel gauge went from the "empty" all the way to the "full" position (starting on level ground). Odd thing is, I had already driven 140 miles since my last fill up and the night before, the tank read 2/3 full! Usually it goes from "empty" to where the fuel level is. I drove a few blocks and it went down an 1/8 of a tank. The range on the OBC read 340 miles (wow, could I actually get 500 miles on a tank of gas?!).

I drove about 10 more miles and it went down 1/4. I ran some errands and started the car again and the gauge read almost full (about 7/8 full again). Unless someone put gas in my car while I was buying groceries, the gauge seems really screwed up. I got home and the thing went down a little, but no where near where it should be for having driven 160 miles.

Anyone else encounter this? It seems that the gauge is reading 1/4 more gas than I have. I've read the posts about corroded/defective fuel sensors but my 330i is 3 months old and has 2500 miles on it...?

I'm going to take it into the dealer tomorrow anyways.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-24-2003, 10:09 PM
What to do...?

OK, I just came back from dinner (I drove) and now I have a full tank of gas. I didn't even fill it up!
Old 08-24-2003, 10:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci
Mine is doing a similar thing. Not quite as crazy as you're describing it, though. I have 2800 miles on the car. It seems like the gauge needs some time to average out the actually fuel level in the tank. I don't know if it was doing that from the very beginning. I only noticed it after about 3 month, when it kinda danced around while I was looking at it, then it bumped up to full and over time it came back down to the correct level. I decided to keep an eye on it. It's not really a problem for me, but if you find out if this indicates a problem with the fuel gauge, please let me know.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:35 AM
;p

Mein Auto: bike w/ ET mod
its quite common
Old 08-25-2003, 09:48 PM
What to do...?

I see... I actually talked to my friend and this has happened to him too. His gauge seemed to fix itself after a couple days. Mine is behaving a little better now--it probably only overstates the amount of fuel by < 1/8.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Wow, looks like they still havent fixed this problem after all these years

Ive had about 5 or 6 sensors put in already. They seem to fail every few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoo
I see... I actually talked to my friend and this has happened to him too. His gauge seemed to fix itself after a couple days. Mine is behaving a little better now--it probably only overstates the amount of fuel by < 1/8.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:50 AM
non sequitur

Mein Auto: 325i | 2002
I had this not too long ago. Both of my gas tank sensors failed on a 2002 325i and read about 1/4 of a tank when I ran out of gas...
Old 09-03-2003, 09:39 PM
What to do...?

Yeah, mine still acts a little strange at times. I guess I better get it fixed before I go to Buttonwillow. I wouldn't want to run out of gas on the track!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:20 AM

Mein Auto: 04 X5, 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoo
Just did a search on the topic of "fuel gauge", and was quite relieved at the fact I was not alone in the abnormal fuel gauge category. Last Thursday before I left the states to come back here, filled up the car when the tank was half full, and noticed the gauge did not go to full. Tried restarting the car several times to see if it would reset itself. No luck. So I asked my pops to check it out and take it to the dealer to have them look at it. On the way to the dealer, my father told me it corrected itself. Hopefully, it will never happen again.

Dan
Old 10-11-2003, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325CI
I have a similar problem with my fuel gauge.
Today, the fuel gauge needle waved back and forth about 10 seconds and settled down to be steady after a few minutes of driving. However, the fuel estimate is way higher. I reset the trip-meter when I filled up and have driven 250miles since. The needle is now right at the middle . I usually get about 350~400 miles from a full tank.
I am going to bring in the car for a service soon.
Does anyone know if there is a TSB for this so that I don't have to deal with "could not reproduce the problem BS".
Old 10-12-2003, 10:13 AM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo
Does anyone know if there is a TSB for this so that I don't have to deal with "could not reproduce the problem BS".
Do a search for previous posts of mine with the words "fuel" and "sending units" and you should find a couple of threads discussing this problem. Many others here have had the same problem, it is a known issue which your dealer should be able to duplicate and fix.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffi
Do a search for previous posts of mine with the words "fuel" and "sending units" and you should find a couple of threads discussing this problem. Many others here have had the same problem, it is a known issue which your dealer should be able to duplicate and fix.
Thanks for the info. Raffi. It seems like I have the same problem as you and Dan325CI, which means possibly multiple trips to dealer for this problem. Is it just me or this whole thing with the faulty fuel sending unit not being fixed for years so retarted?
Old 10-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo
Is it just me or this whole thing with the faulty fuel sending unit not being fixed for years so retarted?
It's just a matter of BMW using faulty/low quality parts from their supplier.