Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Ok, I'm done here!
Yes, your work is done here. I was simply venting and don't recall asking for any advise, but I honestly don't know what I would have done had it not been for your expert consultation.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: Mixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Yes, your work is done here. I was simply venting and don't recall asking for any advise, but I honestly don't know what I would have done had it not been for your expert consultation.
Maybe said another way, if BMW was a routine as US manufactures about model rollouts, you could have made a choice: 1) buy a '09 and get 4 months worth of use of the car before it depreciated, 2) waited and got an '10 where you would have somewhat more value at some future point in time.

I faced that same delima several years ago when I opted to factory order a car. There was a backlog and it arrived mid-way through the model year. I knew what I was in for when I bought it, but the psychological trauma you have suffered is incalculable.

Blue, it's time for some more large fonts and colorful metaphors - I'm bored.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Maybe said another way, if BMW was a routine as US manufactures about model rollouts, you could have made a choice: 1) buy a '09 and get 4 months worth of use of the car before it depreciated, 2) waited and got an '10 where you would have somewhat more value at some future point in time.

I faced that same delima several years ago when I opted to factory order a car. There was a backlog and it arrived mid-way through the model year. I knew what I was in for when I bought it, but the psychological trauma you have suffered is incalculable.

Blue, it's time for some more large fonts and colorful metaphors - I'm bored.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 08-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Don't Care

I ususally keep my cars for over 10 years, so I don't care what year it is. The car is awsome and I'm enjoying it while you are not....(if you wait...) Cars have never been an investment so buy it, use it till the wheels fall off and get another....
Old 08-09-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPro View Post
I ususally keep my cars for over 10 years, so I don't care what year it is. The car is awsome and I'm enjoying it while you are not....(if you wait...) Cars have never been an investment so buy it, use it till the wheels fall off and get another....
You know it's interesting that you say that because I've always been a person to drive my cars until, as you put it, the wheels fall off. I do 90 percent of my own maintenance/repairs, etc. (that will change with my new Z4).

But I've noticed there are a lot of bimmers out there with very low miles. Assuming a lot of people are leasing them, that could account for it. But on the other hand, there are many out that are 2 to 4 years old with very low mileage. Certainly far less than the average. That struck me as being odd, because I assumed that most people were holding on to them, but it actually would appears otherwise.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 PM

If they bump the price of the 2010 up and don't offer the low finance rate right away, then these 2 factors will mitigate the extra depreciation with a 2009.

One good thing is that in 3 years I have a low miles 2009 and the people that took the earliest deliveries of the 2010's, if they drive the same miles as I did, will have a higher mileage 2010. One other factor that mitigates the depreciation.

Given the choice though, I would have waited the extra 2-3 months and got the 2010. It is still a better situation. I use the word "better" loosely, as we all know cars are not investments,. The name of the game is figuring out the best way to lose as little money as possible on the whole transaction.

That said, it takes nothing away from the enjoyment of driving the car. There T AMX I threw in some big font for you.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 08-10-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: z4 2.5i roadster
Quote:
You know it's interesting that you say that because I've always been a person to drive my cars until, as you put it, the wheels fall off. I do 90 percent of my own maintenance/repairs, etc. (that will change with my new Z4).

But I've noticed there are a lot of bimmers out there with very low miles. Assuming a lot of people are leasing them, that could account for it. But on the other hand, there are many out that are 2 to 4 years old with very low mileage. Certainly far less than the average. That struck me as being odd, because I assumed that most people were holding on to them, but it actually would appears otherwise.
I'd guess it's an economy thing. Tightening the wallet etc. hence selling luxury items to provide for basics.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Am told 7 September by dealer (have a Z4 on order). HD radio is now standard. Everything else looks the same, but have not done a bit-by-bit check. Attached are the MY2010 BMW Vehicle Specification Updates pages for Z4 - dated 23 July 2009 (and thanks to whomever posted these first).
Hey RD,

Any pics of your color selection? I am curious to see the shade of the Deep Sea Blue. Thanks.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
Hey RD,

Any pics of your color selection? I am curious to see the shade of the Deep Sea Blue. Thanks.
Since I did not literally shove my car up anyones petuti in Germany, here's a nice pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z4 Driveway Cropped.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	196670  

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 08-10-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: z4 2.5i roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Since I did not literally shove my car up anyones petuti in Germany, here's a nice pic.
Love that color. After looking at the new Z4 in my local showroom, I now take back my words about the dash and how cluttered it is. It's actually well designed and has really nice ergo's.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez4az View Post
that said, it takes nothing away from the enjoyment of driving the car. there t amx i threw in some big font for you.
lol
Old 08-11-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekressin View Post
I chuckle in reading this thread. Of course you could wait longer for the 2011s, 2012s, 2013s, and this is true of many other items we purchase.

Look at technology. Your computer will have less RAM, a smaller hard drive and cost more that the one produced next month or near Christmass or in the spring. But, if you wait, you don't get the advantages the current technology currently available Iimagine no access to BIMMERFEST because you are waiting for the cheaper, better computer). As we get older, we realize the importance of time. Living now and enjoying your 2009 is worthwhile unless you are willing to wait (indefinitely). Some of us can wait others cannot.
Very good point, however it applies to a situation where a person just bought the last leftover 2008 Z4 in April 2009. Then 2 weeks later learns for the first time that they redisigned the car bumper to bumper and released a brand new model for 2009. Now, theres a situation where waiting 2 weeks would have really made a difference, from a technology standpoint.

The 2009 Z4 vs 2010 Z4 will be virtually the same vehicle from a technological point. Thus, the source of my unpleasantry the other day was not based on missing out on any new technology from 2009 to 2010. It was strictly a dollars and sense thing.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 08-11-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Quote:

What I have seen, is that a large portion of the Z4's are leased. If you look at ebay or autotrader, you will find a lot of 2006 and 2007's for sale out there. The 2003,2004, and 2005's are much lower. There are a lot of people out there that scoop them up after the 3 year lease. Usually low mileage, maintained, and still having a year's warranty left.

These folks tend to keep them longer, hence the low number of available vehicles for those years.

That is what I did, at half of the original MSRP.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 08-11-2009, 06:33 PM

Thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Mike in Cincinnati

Mein Auto: 2011 335i 'vert ELF DREI
BMW could've done what they did in '96 with the 5-series. There was no 1996 fiver. They sold the 1995 model year E34 series until spring of '96, then after a short break for retooling, they started delivering 1997 model year E39 series in summer of '96. I got the first manual transmission E39 in town, and still drive and love it every day!