Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xi (soon)
Tire choices for 2007 X5

I have a 2007 X5 3.0si sport package with 255/50R19 Bridgestone Dueler Run Flat tires with approx 35,000 Miles. I am becoming increasingly unhappy with road/tire noise so I have decided to replace the tires.

Researching the options suggests that Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires would be a good choice. Does anyone have experience with this tire?

Also, This tire comes in both regular and ZP (zero pressure/run flat). As I do not have the 3rd row seat, I do have a spare tire so could go for the regular tire. However I cannot find any reviews/tests that would tell me how the regular compares to run flat version (I care about grip, ride, handling and road noise). Does anyone have any thoughts? Would putting non-runflats on the car affect resale or warranty (I own, do not lease).

The Bridgestones have left a pretty negative impression of run flats on me (and I told BMW that in a recent telephone survey they did with me). I had Michelin Pilot Sport all-season tires on my 530i which I was very happy with... which is tilting me towards Michelin even though they are very different tires.

Thanks,
David
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
I would get the Duelers again in the non-run flat form.

They are highly rated, (you got 35k miles). Any other tires will just be more epensive and won't perform noticably better.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:29 PM

That is not what the reviews at tirerack.com would suggest. Michelin Latitude Tour HP get very good reviews, Bridgestone Dueler does not.... and I cannot find a non-RFT version of the Dueler.

David
Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerr View Post
That is not what the reviews at tirerack.com would suggest. Michelin Latitude Tour HP get very good reviews, Bridgestone Dueler does not.... and I cannot find a non-RFT version of the Dueler.

David

Don't make the mistake of purchasing the Bridgestone's again. I would go with the Michelin's. I had Michelin's on mine when my car was delivered and they were much better and had a lot less road noise than the Bridgestone's. The Michelin's ride and handle better as well. I had 3 out of four scratched wheels at delivery. When they swapped out my wheels and tires, I got stuck with the crappy Bridgestone's.

Craig
Old 08-10-2009, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e90, e46iT, 6.0
i got 31k out of my Bridgestones. they probably could have gone further. i believe Bridgestone has discontinued the Non-RFT version of the Dueler. i recently swapped them out for these. i too have a spare.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...roxes+S%2FT+II

you will have to go up to the 255/55/19 size as they are rated XL for extra load as are your Bridgestones.

so far (500< miles) i like them. great wet and dry traction. very crisp turn in and they weigh 12 lbs less each.

and best of all they were $80 each cheaper than the Michelins.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerr View Post

David
Whether you go to tirerack.com , discounttire.com or some other tire site, you can find reviews that are good and bad for the same tire.

Most people know nothing about tires. They get new ones installed and immediately think they are better because all new tires are better, quieter, etc. than old ones.

So I would not pay too much attention to what Sally and Billy have to say and focus on the actual test results.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpySD View Post
Whether you go to tirerack.com , discounttire.com or some other tire site, you can find reviews that are good and bad for the same tire.

Most people know nothing about tires. They get new ones installed and immediately think they are better because all new tires are better, quieter, etc. than old ones.

So I would not pay too much attention to what Sally and Billy have to say and focus on the actual test results.
who you callin' Billy? or maybe you meant to call me Sally. why i oughta...........

while NetSpy is absolutely correct in his appraisal of surveys, the question still exists as to comparing tires not sold by TireRack. which of course includes the Toyo Brand.

i liked my Bridgestones. they stuck when i wanted them to and i never had any issues. i don't pay any attention to tire noise so i can't be a good judge there. i generally drive balls to the wall with the radio loud. it is after all my work truck.

but i can tell you i have noticed a definite difference in steering response and handling with the Non-RFT Toyos.

now i don't claim to be a race car driver, but i do play one on the weekends. i like the Toyos. and they were way cheaper than the Michelins. given the 420 AA rating, if i get 25k out of the Toyos i will be happy.

and just in case i seem to be anti-Michelin. PS2s on the Vette which are stupendous, LTX M&S on the wife's tow vehicle, ASXs on my tow vehicle, and MX4s on the wifes X5. Michelin makes a good tire.

Last edited by soldmystang; 08-10-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldmystang View Post
i got 31k out of my Bridgestones. they probably could have gone further. i believe Bridgestone has discontinued the Non-RFT version of the Dueler. i recently swapped them out for these. i too have a spare.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...roxes+S%2FT+II

you will have to go up to the 255/55/19 size as they are rated XL for extra load as are your Bridgestones.

so far (500< miles) i like them. great wet and dry traction. very crisp turn in and they weigh 12 lbs less each.

and best of all they were $80 each cheaper than the Michelins.
Are these considered all season or summer/performance tires? I want to go with all season (I live in north east USA). Also, can you explain why I need 255/55 rather than 255/50 for this particular tire?

Thanks
David
Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 AM

these are considered all seasons. that was one of my concerns also. however i don't have snow to contend with here.

i can tell you they channel water very well. i was impressed with the wet grip in standing water.

the reason you need to step up to the 255/55 size is due to the weight rating for the 255/50.

check your Bridgestones. there is a XL rating on the sidewall.

the 255/55/19 Toyos are an XL rated tire (extra load).

i can't remember which website had them for sale @ $196 each but my local guy matched the price.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:03 PM

For the records, I decided to go with Michelin Latitude Tour HP non-RFT tires. What a difference compared to the Bridgestone RFTs -- much quieter ride. Granted the Michelins are brand new and the Bridgestones had 36K miles on them, but still, they should not have been that unpleasant after just 36K.

FYI, I received a telephone survey from BMW several months ago asking about my views on Run Flat Tires. I gave them a pretty hard time, telling them that I did not like the ride/noise and did not attribute much value to being able to continue to drive on a flat for a few miles. They should really make Run Flats optional like Honda did with Odyssey and not force them on us.

DAK