Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci ZSP & ZPP
Disa Valve on my E46

The SES light came on yesterday morning as I was coming home from church. I took it into the dealership this morning and they traced the code to the Disa valve. They said it was running lean. The engine was idling pretty rough, so I'm hoping this valve will solve the problem. For $265 I sure hope it does.
Ads by Google
Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to dakarm
Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe, 08 MCS JCW S1
DISA can cause a lean condition? I didn't think that was possible. BTW DISA valve replacement takes about 10mins. it's 1 connector and 2 bolts.

also DISA failure is obvious from just listening to the engine. it makes a aweful racket. with the hood up standing on the driver side you should be able to hear it rattling if it's bad.

#7 in the diagram:

cost is about $170+tax+shipping
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S
Old 08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
It`s true....the DISA replacement is a 10-minute DIY, one of the easiest ones there is.....you can save about 100 bucks doing it yourself....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 08-11-2009, 04:39 AM
In my own cars again

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
If you do hear a sound like a can of marbles under your hood, turn the motor off and unplug the wire harness from the DISA valve, as dakarM said, #7 in the picture. Start the motor. If the noise goes away then your DISA valve definitively has a problem.

Either way, the DISA valve staying open (or shut, I forget how it flaps) is going to cause neither a rough idle nor a lean condition. Check for that noise, and then tell the dealer to try, try again.

--Micah O'C
CCA 193374
'88 M5, Bilstein Sports/ST Springs, staggered BBS RS, Euro conversion
'04 330i ZHP, Jet Black 6spd, hot seats, LightWerkz TFX-Xenon, Bilstein PSS10
UUC Strut/SwayBarbarians, PowerFlex CAB/TAB, Performance Gearing 3.38 LSD

Old 08-12-2009, 01:03 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
DISA costs around $195 after taxes in NY state. $175 or so with CCA discount before tax. It literally takes 10 min to change. And yes, it does cause a lean code. Changing my DISA removed my P0171 and P0174 lean codes.

Here is my DIY vid.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW 330ci
I'm driving with mine disconnected and no codes. I need to get around to replacing it.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330CI ZHP 6 Speed
Does the disa valve replacement cure or make the 4k power dip less noticeable
Old 09-13-2009, 10:06 AM
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09krolt View Post
Does the disa valve replacement cure or make the 4k power dip less noticeable
I don' think so. The 4k dip is a software issue on ZHP's.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I don' think so. The 4k dip is a software issue on ZHP's.
Yep.. the TSB fixed mine..
Old 09-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330CI ZHP 6 Speed
My dealership said they cannot fix my power dip and they cannot send the dme out for reprogramming wtf
Old 09-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09krolt View Post
My dealership said they cannot fix my power dip and they cannot send the dme out for reprogramming wtf
Well if you're not under warranty it's not going to be cheap... TSBs are only free under warranty.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
I just replaced my DISA valve, as the engine was idling rough and I would get P0171 and/or P0174 errors. I kept resetting the error codes as I didn't have time to really investigate the rough idle, and that SES light is really bright and annoying!!!

Easy DIY. Seriously. Give it a try. My dealer charged me $180 for the DISA with discount. Interesting in that my DISA was broken inside, as the post that the "flap" pivots on next to the DISA body, had broken in two pieces. The DISA flap was free-floating inside. I also had a bit of an air leak around the main body gasket, and there was grease/dirt just inside the intake manifold.

Swapped it out and drove it around for a while. Now that the DME has caught up with the changes, the car runs VERY smooth.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:55 PM
The one and only

^ Excellent, glad to hear all is well.

Did you use my vid by any chance?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
^ Excellent, glad to hear all is well.

Did you use my vid by any chance?
Well, of course!!! Actually, I did view your video, and it made the quick project rather straightforward to do. Thanks again.

Marlin1881
Old 10-22-2009, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
2001 X5 3.0i DISA VALVE HELP!!!!

Hey all,

Need a little help I would like to replace the DISA Valve and I can't seem to find it on any of the usual BMW part websites, any suggestions, also does anyone have a DIY for replacing this part, I am pretty good have fixed quite a few things on my x5 but this seems a little more complex.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgambit View Post
Hey all,

Need a little help I would like to replace the DISA Valve and I can't seem to find it on any of the usual BMW part websites, any suggestions, also does anyone have a DIY for replacing this part, I am pretty good have fixed quite a few things on my x5 but this seems a little more complex.
have you checked autohausaz.com?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 PM
The one and only

Quote:
Hey all,

............... did you happen to see a video a few posts up?

www.getbmwparts.com
Old 11-28-2009, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i Coupe
Part # : 11 61 7 544 805 $ 204.95 at Bavauto.com.

Last edited by jburns; 11-28-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i Coupe
Quote:
Hey all,

Part # : 11 61 7 544 805 $ 204.95 at Bavauto.com
Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci coupe auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventsyv View Post
I'm driving with mine disconnected and no codes. I need to get around to replacing it.
Is it really ok to drive around with the DISA disconnected?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:47 AM
In my own cars again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy2051 View Post
Is it really ok to drive around with the DISA disconnected?
At least for a short time, yes. It just means you are running the engine with the resonance flap open, as it would be running normally above 4100RPM. You may feel some lost low-end torque (if you are sensitive and running at WOT). There may also be some codes thrown, I'd be surprised if there are not. But people have done it for short periods and you shouldn't see any 'damage.'

Order one from Tischer, at least at one point in the recent past they had the best pricing. Until it arrives, you can run with the harness unplugged. If it failed the way mine did, with a loose/broken shaft, at least you won't have that can-of-marbles noise under the hood.

--Micah O'C
CCA 193374
'88 M5, Bilstein Sports/ST Springs, staggered BBS RS, Euro conversion
'04 330i ZHP, Jet Black 6spd, hot seats, LightWerkz TFX-Xenon, Bilstein PSS10
UUC Strut/SwayBarbarians, PowerFlex CAB/TAB, Performance Gearing 3.38 LSD

Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 AM
BMW Nuthead

Mein Auto: e92 M3 6mt
we replaced a disa valve on a ZHP with the 4K dip, problem solved car runs hard so much better
DRB Motorsports axle back exhaust
Old 01-08-2010, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW 330ci
I replaced mine too a few weeks ago. I started getting codes and as part of some other repairs I replaced the DISA as well. No rattle any more but no noticeable increase in performance either.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci Ti Silver
I was looking up what the VISA valve is and found this thread.

I had the SES light on for about 3 weeks on my 98,000 mile 330ci. The light went away 2 weeks ago, but came back a few days later. Then last week after work, the car was a bit rough and as I applied throttle, the engine ran like it had a misfire, a bad one. So I nursed it along and about 1 mile later the engine smoothed out to normal. So I brought it in for service as it was 6 thousand miles passed the Inspection II, but I wasn't worried as I had done a lot of the service already.

Not knowing what a DISA valve was, I was surprised to learn that was bad, and the valve cover had a crack and was sucking in air and the PCV valve was bad! Cascade of failures. I never heard of valve covers cracking before, so I was surprised to see others had them crack too. A year ago, the tech replaced the valve cover gasket as it was leaking, so I wondered, though I doubt he over tightened it and cracked it.

If it was just a DISA valve, I'd have done it, but I hate the idea of attempting to replace the valve cover. If it was on my 1967 Mustang, no problem. Did the spark plugs too as those were original.

The car seems fine now.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun3301 View Post
I was looking up what the VISA valve is and found this thread.

I had the SES light on for about 3 weeks on my 98,000 mile 330ci. The light went away 2 weeks ago, but came back a few days later. Then last week after work, the car was a bit rough and as I applied throttle, the engine ran like it had a misfire, a bad one. So I nursed it along and about 1 mile later the engine smoothed out to normal. So I brought it in for service as it was 6 thousand miles passed the Inspection II, but I wasn't worried as I had done a lot of the service already.

Not knowing what a DISA valve was, I was surprised to learn that was bad, and the valve cover had a crack and was sucking in air and the PCV valve was bad! Cascade of failures. I never heard of valve covers cracking before, so I was surprised to see others had them crack too. A year ago, the tech replaced the valve cover gasket as it was leaking, so I wondered, though I doubt he over tightened it and cracked it.

If it was just a DISA valve, I'd have done it, but I hate the idea of attempting to replace the valve cover. If it was on my 1967 Mustang, no problem. Did the spark plugs too as those were original.

The car seems fine now.
VCs do crack. It's plastic after all. Replacement really isn't that bad. Takes some time. Have you done the VANOS seals on it? With the VC off is the best time since it has to come off to get at the VANOS pistons. Can probably reuse the gasket if you do it in the next year or so.

Frequently the DISA can be rebuilt and re-gasketed - very easy. CCVs usually slowly clog or the hoses start to leak air and/or oil. So I don't think you got the triple whammy all at once.

As long as your cooling system has been refreshed and the drivetrain fluids flushed, you're largely up to date and just waiting for a window regulator to crap out.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD