Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
DIY: Leather Restoration

I tackled the project of restoring my Vaders. Having survived 14 years and 144k miles of tough love, they were in need of some work.

I bought a deluxe leather repair kit from Leather World Technologies with the double shot of dye, turned out to be unneeded, and the graining copier, also unneeded, along with a touch up kit. The total damage came out to around a hundred bucks.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Prod...Kit__DLRK.aspx

First step is to remove the seats: You'll just need a 16" socket and rachet with a 6" extension.

Take out the two nuts on the front, the two bolts in the rear, lift slightly, disconnect the wires under the seat, and remove. I dragged them outside to start working on them.

Next step was to clean them, I first went at them with a vaccum to get all the sediment out of the creases, then used the prep and cleaner provided in the kit.

I lightly scuffed the surface, and made sure I was getting them clean, the color will actually start to come up.

Wear the damn gloves:

Time to fill the cracks, at this point all the commotion had caught my dad's interest, and he swooped in to share some experience, he owns a body shop. Dont bother with the ridiculous spreader the kit gives you, use a bondo mixing knife, and spread it over the cracked surface, as you work it, the cracks will fill in, and you'll take the excess off the top.

It became readily apparent I didn't need the graining copier at this point, that would be best served in a large patch or repair where the surface would be noticeably different.

At this point, I set the seats up in the garage overnight, with a fan moving air over the top of them to help dry the filler. Then i went inside and had a beer.

The next morning I got up and sanded down the patched areas with 400 grit sandpaper. This helped clean all the unnecessary filler off the top surface, and help to smooth out the cracked areas. Doing it again I would have sanded BEFORE and AFTER the filling, the leather tends to curl up when it cracks.

I set myself up on a drop cloth and broke out the dye. First I used the cleaner again with a lint free cloth to make sure I had a clean surface. Then I used a 3" foam brush to apply the dye.

Writing this is taking a while, I need a sandwich...

Thanks for waiting. Using the foam brush method did leave streaks, but the sprayer supplied in the kit just threw blobs of dye at the seat. So this area could use some improvement. I did find a liberal application streaked less, but took much much longer to
cure. The ///M striping was a disaster, the touch up kit is terrible, guesswork to mix, and impossible to apply. I left them alone after one attempt, in the hopes I can find someone to mix me the proper colors one day.

All in all I did three coats. This was Sunday afternoon and it was dawning on me I wasn't going to be driving my car to work in the morning. I left them to sit for about thirty hours. I got home from work Monday night and reinstalled them.
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM
King of Drone

They still had a matte finish at this point, and the streaks were quite obvious. I took the conditioner provided in the kit, which I had tested on my shift boot to great success, and started to condition one of the seats. It was lifting the finish right back off.

Immediately I stopped and spoke expletives that would make a whore blush, but I got it back together. Thinking quickly, I went in a swiped a bottle of my dads motorcycle leather conditioner.

Viola! It put a fantastic sheen on the leather, and didn't take off any off the new finish. Tomorrow morning will be the test to see how much of it has actually soaken in, and how much conditioner I'll be wearing when I get to work.

Sorry for the poor finished pictures, but it was getting dark, I'll have to get some in the light of day tomorrow.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Congrats. The seats look awesome. I am going to have to add that to the list eventually. Great job!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Search Button Upper Right

Mein Auto: E36 95 325IS Black/Black
Excellent work Joey

+Many

Edit: Forgot to mention, that is one awesome Fido!!
Bilstien PSS9's / SPC Rear Control Arms / DDM Smoked Corners, Sides, Tails / K&N FIPK2 / CXRacing All Aluminum Radiator w Aluminum Shroud and Electric Fan / Stewart Components Waterpump / Aluminum Tstat Housing / SamcoSport Coolant Hoses / Fan Delete Mod - 14" Electric Pull Fan / UBERGROUND Battery Cable / NGK Ir.IX Plugs / Royal Purple Fluids for; Engine, Differential, Transmission, Power Steering.
. SOLD
MEMBER OF THE MOST EXCLUSIVE SECRET CLUB ON THE 'FEST

Last edited by HyphE36; 08-10-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Hmmm, this may be on my longgg list. Looks GREAT!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
Does look really awesome! How does it feel, like a texture contrast in the repaired areas?

My bolsters could use that treatment too actually... but only because I like the end result of yours so much really. Normal people don't notice any issues with mine, but I do now that I see what your repaired ones are like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Old 08-10-2009, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Nice job and even better writeup...I have always wanted to do this on a car..one day!

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Nicely done Sir!

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: E36, Imola ZHP
I think I need to drive my car more so m seats wear enough to do this lol.

Great job man.

SYNracing Inc.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 318is
Thanks for sharing that. I have some fine lines - not as bad as yours, that annoy me. Will have to put that on the to do list!!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
SirStanleyBowles

Send a message via ICQ to SirStanleyBowle Send a message via AIM to SirStanleyBowle Send a message via Yahoo to SirStanleyBowle
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 1993 UK RHD
Congratulations a superb Job..Well done.

Looks every Penny well spent there and hard work well worth it!!

Kind regards

SSB
Old 08-12-2009, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: .
Where do you find the color code for your interior? My seats have needed this repair for a long time now.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:26 PM
vek-mw

Send a message via AIM to bboyvek Send a message via MSN to bboyvek
Mein Auto: 1995 bmw 325i
Great work as usual, yet i was expecting for you to go all out and recover all the seats in suede.
Criminal Law Attorney Carrboro
Costum Web Applications Web Design
Clasificados Empleos Ventas
Landscaping
Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
King of Drone

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like them. The texture is a bit off, sort of stiff, but I'm going to keep treating them with that conditioner and see how they wear in.

PhilipWOT what the fuc? I did this for you
Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 PM
BMW apprentice technician

Mein Auto: 08 Impala SS
I'd want a guard dog like that to watch over my detached BMW seats

Nice work - I'll have to look at the link and see if I can get the beige (or whatever they call in in BMW speak) that is in my interior.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Thread revive, but did you use the Jet Black 0523 kit or the regular Black 917 kit?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Thanks for saving me the search. KEN!!! This is the thread I was telling you about in an e-mail a while back.

Quote:
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Old 06-20-2010, 04:48 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Got that, Amber! It won't restitch the seats, but that info will help save the seats that are still intact. THANK YOU!!!!

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 328i convertible
My leather seats are totally busted up and cracked. Can you post more detail pictures of the finished seats. I want to know if the patch kit fixed your cracked seats? Also did they cracks reappear after sitting on them for awhile. Let me know.. thanks-
Old 06-20-2010, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 95' 540ia-orient Blue
Should make this a sticky, and how did the leather play out after conditioning for the last 10 months? softer???

Owned/own:
1995 M3-cosmos black(E36)
1998 528I-schwartz black(E39)
1999 328IS-steel blue(E36)
1995 540IA-orient blue(E34) 5/6 speed swap soon.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:21 PM
College Kid

Mein Auto: 93 318is
Yeah, how did it hold up? I have a 2 inch rip in the left side of drivers seat, i doubt bondo will do the trick.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 95' 540ia-orient Blue
i used RV sealant (Black) to fix a tear i had, it has held up nicely for the longest time now. do that with this resto and it will be mint, wouldn't
notice!

Owned/own:
1995 M3-cosmos black(E36)
1998 528I-schwartz black(E39)
1999 328IS-steel blue(E36)
1995 540IA-orient blue(E34) 5/6 speed swap soon.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Got that, Amber! It won't restitch the seats, but that info will help save the seats that are still intact. THANK YOU!!!!
Yeah I know, but it was the only thing I could think of to help I'm not big on the whole sewing thing....

Quote:
Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM
User is LOST

Mein Auto: 1993 325i

And here I was feeling all warm and fuzzy for the work I'd done on my seats...... Great job . They look flockin' awesome.

DISCLAIMER:Sig pic is my goal... My car is a work in progress
Old 06-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Yeah, it's hard to believe this thread isn't brought back from the dead more often. Seems there are a lot of folks who could make good use of this DIY write-up.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback