Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Look at what an Authorized BMW Dealer did to my car!

I took it in to give them a final chance to fix the tranny problem on my 09 X3 (before initiating lemon law) and this is what they did to my car. They damaged both wheels and tires on one side of the car. It required a full alignment, two wheels and two tires. The service Director told me I did the damage myself. After keeping it two days whilst 'investigating' they offered to sell me the parts at invoice! I threatened legal action and a couple of hours later they decided to fix everything at no cost to me! I expected this from lesser marques but not BMW! They didn't even take responsibility for doing the damage...how sad is that? I even wrote a letter to the General Manager but got no response. What makes BMW think they can treat customers like this? Common courtesy dictates you at least respond!

I don't have a place to post the pictures. If anyone can post them for me send me an e-mail and I'll email them to you.

Last edited by x3lemon; 08-14-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Sorry to hear that. BMW makes nice handling cars but their customer service sucks big time, although on your case it seems it was the dealer. You may want to check your car for more damages, it sounds like a case of mishap on a joy ride or may be they were testing the transmission and just accelerated hard and lost control. Just a guess.

You can attach the pics to your post, just scroll down in the advance editor and you will find a button with "Manage Attachments".

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 08-14-2009, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
in my entire life i have never been this angry for absolutely no reason!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
BMW NA does not own most of the dealerships in the US. Therefore don't go around attaching your dealer to BMW cars in anyway. More than likely, your dealer is part of a dealer conglomerate, thats part of another, even larger conglomerate of chains.

Please do name names and attach pictures of the damage.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Bimmer Dreamer

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
in my entire life i have never been this angry for absolutely no reason!
lol!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Bimmer Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Sorry to hear that. BMW makes nice handling cars but their customer service sucks big time, although on your case it seems it was the dealer. You may want to check your car for more damages, it sounds like a case of mishap on a joy ride or may be they were testing the transmission and just accelerated hard and lost control. Just a guess.

You can attach the pics to your post, just scroll down in the advance editor and you will find a button with "Manage Attachments".
We have purchased 2 BMWs from BMW of Peoria and we have never had better service. Outstanding service is probaby a better word.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscamp View Post
Why are you angry? How do you know what the true situation is? Where you there?
that whooshing sound that went over your head...

sorry, not angry at all just trying to be funny. it doesn't work every time, but i'll keep trying
Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Bimmer Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
that whooshing sound that went over your head...

sorry, not angry at all just trying to be funny. it doesn't work every time, but i'll keep trying
OK. I'll admit. I've been had! LOL!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
BMW NA does not own most of the dealerships in the US. Therefore don't go around attaching your dealer to BMW cars in anyway. More than likely, your dealer is part of a dealer conglomerate, thats part of another, even larger conglomerate of chains.

Please do name names and attach pictures of the damage.

Have to disagree with you on this Azn. The dealer is an agent of BMW and therefore a representative of BMW. BMWNA can revoke their licensing if they violate policy.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
well Ev... i have to disagree with you partly...

yes, a franchise license could be revoked, BUT BMWNA's most famous and quoted line, behind "they all do that" is "each dealer is independently owned, we have no control over them."

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 08-15-2009, 12:37 AM
sapper

Mein Auto: 02 WRX, 06 X3
Where are the pics of the damage and what is the dealer name?
Old 08-15-2009, 02:54 AM
about the mini part....

Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592
Mein Auto: E90 M-tech, E30 M-tech
I do have to say my last visit to my dealer for service, was absolutely horrible. I have NEVER had any trouble with, neither have my parents. This last time however my car was returned in this condition:

Muddy shoe prints in the back on the carpet in addition to the car being dirty.
Various screw cover plates in the back missing
My shifter was loose?! It came off when I was in traffic and I was like WTF

The loose shifter made me notice something. My dash console had more scratches than before service, I'm OCD, so I kinda notice these things.

Then I took apart my dash to fix my Aux input
Oh boy what I found:
The foam around my AC vents was GONE. I was wondering why my vents were getting covered in condensation in hot weather. The air was escaping through the bottom which they never did before.

Screws missing! As in nothing was holding the front fascia on my radio and AC controls. Then I dug deeper. I had only one screw holding in my center section where the shifter is. There's also suppose to be clips that also keep that trim as well, they were gone.

Needless to say after all of this, my SA got a nice little phone call. A day later I got a call from the owner of the dealer and explained what all I found and he said any future problems are going to be covered in full by him, in addition to have replacement parts sent my way. So I guess it worked out.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:04 AM

thanks for the tip on how to post the images. Here they are..if you look closely you'll see both the wheel and tires are damaged. They must have been hit hard to take a chunk out of the front wheel but the dealer claimed their workers would have told them if they had done the damage. The car was washed before it was retuned to me so it is possible the damage was done in the car wash - but the SD wouldn't even accept this possibility - so arrogant!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel damage front.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	197147   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear wheel damage.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	197148  

Last edited by x3lemon; 08-15-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicrazy592 View Post
I do have to say my last visit to my dealer for service, was absolutely horrible. I have NEVER had any trouble with, neither have my parents. This last time however my car was returned in this condition:

Muddy shoe prints in the back on the carpet in addition to the car being dirty.
Various screw cover plates in the back missing
My shifter was loose?! It came off when I was in traffic and I was like WTF

The loose shifter made me notice something. My dash console had more scratches than before service, I'm OCD, so I kinda notice these things.

Then I took apart my dash to fix my Aux input
Oh boy what I found:
The foam around my AC vents was GONE. I was wondering why my vents were getting covered in condensation in hot weather. The air was escaping through the bottom which they never did before.

Screws missing! As in nothing was holding the front fascia on my radio and AC controls. Then I dug deeper. I had only one screw holding in my center section where the shifter is. There's also suppose to be clips that also keep that trim as well, they were gone.

Needless to say after all of this, my SA got a nice little phone call. A day later I got a call from the owner of the dealer and explained what all I found and he said any future problems are going to be covered in full by him, in addition to have replacement parts sent my way. So I guess it worked out.
Why is it sooooo many posters don't tell us the name of there dealer if its a good or bad situation that they incountered..
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 08-15-2009, 06:29 AM

I didn't mention the name because I'm waiting to see how they respond to my letter of complaint. If they don't take accountability and apologise I will name and shame them.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3lemon View Post
I didn't mention the name because I'm waiting to see how they respond to my letter of complaint. If they don't take accountability and apologise I will name and shame them.
I know that mini is OCD, but I take pictures of my car before it goes into the shop. Right before it goes into the shop.

The dealer is very nice and will pick up my car and drop off a loaner. At that point I take some pictures.

A little over the top, but save a lot on he said she said.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 08-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3lemon View Post
thanks for the tip on how to post the images. Here they are..if you look closely you'll see both the wheel and tires are damaged. They must have been hit hard to take a chunk out of the front wheel but the dealer claimed their workers would have told them if they had done the damage. The car was washed before it was retuned to me so it is possible the damage was done in the car wash - but the SD wouldn't even accept this possibility - so arrogant!
WOW, that's a considerable damage! I would be MAD.

They are responsibile to check the condition of the vehicle when they take it in, and note any damge, if they didn't do their due diligence is their problem, not yours. Even if they didn't do it, they don't have proof. The will have to eat it, no matter what.

I think most of us here are OCD, lol, when I drop any of my cars to any shop I give them a diagram with all the little things noted and they sign, if anything is different at the time of pick up we know who's paying.

Last september when they worked on the vapor barrier, they chipped out the wood grain handle, of course I wasn't informed, called the SA, they ordered a new one, then it was a second time because they didn't get it right the first, and guess what, the new handle chipped again, I wasn't told again, a new one was ordered again. I made sure specify that on my two surveys. Got an apologize note from the service manager with a 20% discount card on accesories. I told him, if I would have been informed of the problem and the correction before that, your score would have been better, what I didn't like is nobody said anything. "Did they think I wouldn't notice and they could have got away with it. NO WAY.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Sorry to hear about the bad apple dealers out there. The SAs at the dealer I go to pre-inspect the car for damage, having me do it with them, and give me a form with all damage areas marked, that I sign. THat's the way it should be done. Last time I pointed out to him what seemed to be a paint scratch that he missed. So he gets out some polishing compound and removes it! It was just a surface mark.

So this works out all dandy while I'm still under warrantee. But I see that their labor rate is $129/hr (gulp!) and I know they mark their parts up over MLP. For those prices I can go to a psychiatrist and have him convince me the car is just fine. :-)

I'll name the dealer on request, but have done so in another post, so I don't want to overdo it. (hint: It's the one closest to where I live.)
Old 08-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
Believe me BMWNA monitors this site. When I posted a while back about my trouble with the local dealer on the air bag sensor recall BMWNA called and e-mailed me. And I did name the dealer in my post. When BMWNA called later and wanted my rating for the service I received I gave them a 1.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:46 AM
sapper

Mein Auto: 02 WRX, 06 X3
x3lemon you sure do have some pretty bad luck with your car. Better luck in the future.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
WOW, that's a considerable damage! I would be MAD.

They are responsibile to check the condition of the vehicle when they take it in, and note any damge, if they didn't do their due diligence is their problem, not yours. Even if they didn't do it, they don't have proof. The will have to eat it, no matter what.
+1 I would be mad too. X3-terrestrial is absolutely right, when they take the car in, they write the condition of car into the service sheet and give a copy to you. It must be in your service record. Check it, if they did not mention that the wheels were damaged, that means they were damaged in their shop. Check the document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmadoggie View Post
Sorry to hear about the bad apple dealers out there. The SAs at the dealer I go to pre-inspect the car for damage, having me do it with them, and give me a form with all damage areas marked, that I sign. THat's the way it should be done. Last time I pointed out to him what seemed to be a paint scratch that he missed. So he gets out some polishing compound and removes it! It was just a surface mark.
There is a thread in general bmw section about feedback, here where the poster gave a poor feedback and the dealer lashed out. So be careful. Just an advise.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
+1 I would be mad too. X3-terrestrial is absolutely right, when they take the car in, they write the condition of car into the service sheet and give a copy to you. It must be in your service record. Check it, if they did not mention that the wheels were damaged, that means they were damaged in their shop. Check the document.

There is a thread in general bmw section about feedback, here where the poster gave a poor feedback and the dealer lashed out. So be careful. Just an advise.

Get it resolved and go to another dealer from there on out. Make sure you post it on every forum available to (wo)man.

BMWNA reads these forums regularly. They actually have a service dedicated to it. At this point in the game no one wants bad pub.

Remember document document document.

If you can show through proper documentation that an error or wrong has occured BMWNA will back you up.

BTW if a dealer did pull that on me here is what would happen:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/motoring/...st-faults.html

This kind of thing solidifies why I wouldn't buy a Range Rover, but you get the idea.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 08-17-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
well Ev... i have to disagree with you partly...

yes, a franchise license could be revoked, BUT BMWNA's most famous and quoted line, behind "they all do that" is "each dealer is independently owned, we have no control over them."
This is the fundamental problem with the dealer franchise model. I don't want to work with a dealer, a totally separate entity from the manufacturer. I want to go directly to the manufacturer without a middle man. Think about Dell or Apple as examples.
As for service, the independent garages around Seattle are excellent -- because they have to be! They're competing for work based on reputation and word of mouth. As soon as my car is out of warranty, I'll never go back to the dealer for service. Why would I?

-James
Seattle, WA
Old 08-17-2009, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335I vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalfee View Post
Believe me BMWNA monitors this site. When I posted a while back about my trouble with the local dealer on the air bag sensor recall BMWNA called and e-mailed me. And I did name the dealer in my post. When BMWNA called later and wanted my rating for the service I received I gave them a 1.
BMWNA customer service is not what is used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Get it resolved and go to another dealer from there on out. Make sure you post it on every forum available to (wo)man.

BMWNA reads these forums regularly. They actually have a service dedicated to it. At this point in the game no one wants bad pub.

Remember document document document.

If you can show through proper documentation that an error or wrong has occured BMWNA will back you up.
BMWNA doesn't always do the right thing, seems they don't have the balls to make a dealership do the right thing.

Last edited by xtremecruiser; 08-17-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added
Old 08-22-2009, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: used to be 2010 535i
Sorry to see the damage. You should refer to the following thread for future work.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=371920

MY2010 535i with A85, LCNG, ZCW, ZPP, ZSP, ZVP, 205, 261, 416, 496, 508, 609, 610, 653, 6FL, 775