Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 08-15-2009, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: Bimmers are sold :(
Unhappy Problem bleeding the brakes on a 97' 740il *Fixed*

What is the trick of bleeding the brakes? I am unable to bleed the rear-brakes on my 740il.
I had to take the rear calipers of yesterday while changing the pads and rotors, to get them thoroughly cleaned.

So after i was done, i asked my wife to sit inside the car and pump the brake slowly while i was underneath bleeding the brakes. But to my amazement, absolutely no brake fluid came out. Nothing.. I don't understand what i am doing wrong. I have bled a lot of cars over the time, and none of those cars have ever displayed this kind of behavior to me. It is supposed to be pretty straight forward.

What do i do? I have tried to search the forum, but no luck in the 7 series section.

Please help..

Last edited by Daytona_BMW; 08-18-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Fixed
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 AM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

Mein Auto: The E38
I did not encounter anything strange when I did mine, 2000 740iL. Standard method, starting with the RR, LR, then RF, LF.

Passed on to new families:
E30 1987 325i Royal Blue
E39 2003 540i/6 Sterling Gray
R56 2010 Mini Cooper S British Racing Green

Old 08-15-2009, 11:04 AM

Yes that is the technique I am trying to do too..

RR, LR, RF, LF..

I have no idea..
Old 08-15-2009, 11:29 AM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

Mein Auto: The E38
I'm sure you found the bleed screws, there isn't anything else back there to mistake for them. You opened the reservior and topped it off before the procedure? Were your back brakes working before? I mean, there is fluid in there and it's getting to the brakes, right?

That is very strange. Wish I had some ideas, I've only done bleeds a few times (E30 and E38) and never had that happen.

Passed on to new families:
E30 1987 325i Royal Blue
E39 2003 540i/6 Sterling Gray
R56 2010 Mini Cooper S British Racing Green

Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Yes the reservoir is full, but still no luck. The bleed screws has been opened enough to be able to get some fluid through, but still it doesn't work.
I even took one of the bleed screws off to make sure there wasn't a blockage in the bleed screw.. But nothing..

Darn it.. I'd hate to have to take it to the stealership when i normally are able to do these kind of jobs my self.
They wanted 126 dollar just to bleed the brakes..
Old 08-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
Just to get it out of the way, when you changed the calipers did you pinch the lines with a clamp? If you did, did you unclamp them afterwords? Also when you put the calipers back, you didn't flip them all the way around and make a corkscrew out of the hose, did you? Did any fluid come out when you took off the caliper? Is the pedal tight or loose?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:20 PM

The pedal is soft, there was very little fluid that came out, and i didn't use a clamp on the hoses. I neither made a corkscrew of them.
The left rear caliper had milky white brake fluid coming out of it, which is never a good sign. So the fluid did contain some water.

But the right rear does not bleed at all.. I really am puzzled..
Old 08-15-2009, 04:48 PM

Did you replace the calipers or just clean them? Are the hoses cracked or brittle?
Old 08-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Hi again.. Just spent another two hours outside trying to bleed the brakes, and now i found out that the left side wont bleed either..
What the? So now i have both sides in the back wont be bled. Nothing comes out of the bleeds..

Now i think maybe i am starting to run out of options here..

PS, the hoses are not cracked or brittle.. Look like normal.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 PM

That is strange. Was there some symptom that made you change the rear brakes, such as a weak pedal or a noise, or was it just basic maintenance? What was it about the calipers that made you want to clean them, and did you clean them or replace them? Was there a leak?

I'd check to see if the fronts bleed fluid, and if they do then I'd suspect a proportioning valve. I'd also disconnect a hose in the rear and see if its clogged.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:45 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
do you have a 1 man bleeder set up?? you can use a vacuum pump with this unit to assist in bleeding the brakes.

another trick to try if there is not fluid coming out is opening the front bleeders and stepping on the brake pedal. have someone do this part so you can close the bleeders afterwards before they let the pedal up. then go check the fluid out of the rear calipers.

also, if i understood you, you did not pinch off the lines to prevent fluid loss. how much fluid did you lose?? you may have drained out quite a bit more than you thought, and if your wife was pumping the pedal, she may not be getting enough throw on the down stroke which could lead to an impossibly long bleed time.

of course if this were not a 7 i would mention to ask your wife to stop pressing the clutch pedal.....(never happened to me before )

df
Old 08-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
As a last resort --turn the ignition to run and try again--that should energize the ABS system and put it in the fluid pass thru position. It may have been tripped.
'98 740i
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org
Old 08-17-2009, 05:27 PM

So I went to the dealer today, and i saw the mechanic scratching his head trying to bleed it

It shows out that the master brake cylinder does not provide any fluid out to the rear brakes.. He tried to disconnect the line to the rear from the master, to see if anything came out, and all it provided was just a few drops of brake fluid.
So it has to be changed.. They wanted 750 dollar to do it, but I'll just find a master cylinder on eBay and install it my self.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
Is the fluid passage from the reservoir to the master cylinder clear? No fluid in equals no fluid out.
'98 740i
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org
Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 PM

I got i working.. I figured it didn't make any sense that the master cylinder was broken. I mean, it is the simplest part of a car, and i can't imagine that more than one out of ten thousand cars have a faulty master cylinder. So i made up my mind, and went out in the garage, and dismantled the master cylinder, and i saw nothing wrong with it.

So me and my wife bled it, and bled, and bled and switched the ignition on and off repeatedly to get the ABS unit to actuate while pumping the brakes, and finally... At 1.AM in the morning, here comes the fluid..

Now everything is working, and the brakes are at 100% now.. Just saved me 768 dollar.

I hate when big dealerships do nothing but expensive guesswork.. I guess that's why the nickname "Stealership"

Thanks everybody for all the help..

Last edited by Daytona_BMW; 08-17-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Adding text