Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 08-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 540i sport
$500 is all I paid

Okay, I posted a while back about a 1987 535is that I bought for $500, and I promised that I would post some pics when the opportunity presented itself, so here they are! The paint looks really good on the outside, but as you can see in the pictures, there's definitely some rust in the trunk. Interior is shot, dash is completely cracked, lame metric wheels. Car needs an alternator, and a fan clutch. Other than that, I'm going to replace the fuel filter, oil and filter, tranny oil, diff oil, spark plugs, coolant, you get the idea. Because of the rust I don't think this car is worth putting any amount of money into, but it will be a great daily driver and it doesn't look half bad. It was worth $500. Does anyone know what kind of tire fits these metric wheels? Everywhere I look online says these tires aren't available...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bimm1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	197326   Click image for larger version

Name:	bimm7.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	197327   Click image for larger version

Name:	bimm5.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	197328   Click image for larger version

Name:	bimm10.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	197329   Click image for larger version

Name:	bimm8.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	197330  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bimm6.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	197331  
Ads by Google
Old 08-16-2009, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
Hi with the rims you are screwed, you need to find another pair that will fit the car. 14inch is standard a lot of people like 16 and 17.

Andy
Old 08-16-2009, 03:37 PM

Well, have they just stopped selling the tires? I didn't bother to look and see what's on the car right now, all I know is that they're worn to the belt! They're been putting something on those wheels for 22 years...
Old 08-17-2009, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: **** you
get that rust taken care of pronto...
it is probably too late tho looks cancerous
Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM

Ugh, every time I do something with this car I find another problem. Like all 80s BMWs, the odometer is broken. It was broken when the woman who had the car before me bought it and she drove it for a year and a half. She said she "never noticed." How long has this odometer been broken?? It says 206K right now, more like 300! And I've never seen the front tires on a BMW wear on the inside. The tire is like brand new on the outside of the tread and the inside has wires coming out of it. I would expect that from the back wheels...unless they rotated the extremely worn tires from the back, which would be stupid. Also, today I was taking it out for a spin and I thought the car was exceptionally loud on the inside, like a window was open. So I follow the noise and behold! I take off the shift boot and I can see right past the shifter to the asphalt below! WTF?? Is there some kind of cover missing there or something?? Also, upon driving it today I realized the steering bushings and linkage are completely shot. When the shifter is in any gear you can wobble it around like it's in neutral, that much play! So extremely worn gearshift linkage bushings as well. I'm thinking I'm just going to pass this buck on to the next guy. I paid 500 dollars, and I got a 500 dollar car.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:51 PM

git wha cho pay fer

good luck man...mine is dead in the garage right now and just barely runs...my odo stopped at 160 (6 series)...however i am pretty sure by the sound of the motor it prolly has @ 300k on it
Old 08-18-2009, 11:13 AM

Does anyone have any info on the tires that go with these wheels? I guess they're metric or something and tire rack and all the other stores say they don't have them in stock. I don't get it, what's the problem with these wheels? I forget exactly what the car has on it right now... it's 195/??/R15 and the tires seem to fit really nicely. Can't I just keep buying those?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:58 PM

if they are metric tires i think one of the only companies that still make them is michelin, however chances are that even if you are able to find a set, they will have been sitting in a warehouse for years and probably are no good any more.

it would be in your best interest if they are indeed metric to get rid of them all together...thats what I did =/

good luck
Old 08-21-2009, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: M3
A $500 car will take $2500 to get it run properly and safely.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh1850 View Post
A $500 car will take $2500 to get it run properly and safely.
Yeah, and that's with me doing all of the work! $2500 in parts will get my car running pretty good though. But I don't think it's worth putting money into because of the rust in the trunk. No matter what I do to the car mechanically, the rust will always haunt me. I don't know how to do any body work, therefore I cannot do anything about the rust. I'm definitely not going to pay someone else a ton of money to do it, so I suppose the rust is here to stay...I didn't know I would have to buy new wheels either, that really sucks.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:19 PM

Update

Well, so far I've replaced the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, and alternator. I cleaned the crap out of the inside, and the driver's side seat was structurally destroyed so I had to switch it out with the passenger seat. The front tires were worn to the belts and wires, on the INSIDE! WTF?? So, I bought some good replacement tires to put on it. Before I got them on, I took her for a spin around the parking lot that it's in and the brakes gave out... The pedal goes all the way to the floor and it barely stops. They worked fine before when I took it out for a spin, but they sure don't now. I was thinking maybe air in the lines, but that doesn't happen overnight by itself on a car that isn't being driven. The reservoir is full. Master cylinder maybe??
Old 10-01-2009, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: e 28 BMW 535i
get the standard BMW rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionnaire1857 View Post
Okay, I posted a while back about a 1987 535is that I bought for $500, and I promised that I would post some pics when the opportunity presented itself, so here they are! The paint looks really good on the outside, but as you can see in the pictures, there's definitely some rust in the trunk. Interior is shot, dash is completely cracked, lame metric wheels. Car needs an alternator, and a fan clutch. Other than that, I'm going to replace the fuel filter, oil and filter, tranny oil, diff oil, spark plugs, coolant, you get the idea. Because of the rust I don't think this car is worth putting any amount of money into, but it will be a great daily driver and it doesn't look half bad. It was worth $500. Does anyone know what kind of tire fits these metric wheels? Everywhere I look online says these tires aren't available...

My Advise is to get some regular BMW rims and tires for the vehicle. Sell or trade the existing metrics. I had the same issue and went COSTCO to price out the Michelins and was sticker shocked at $300.00 per tire a year back.

What I did find are some sizes that fit.
Most 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 inch. On e28, e39
I found 16"x8", 23mm offset from Craig’s List. They came off a 735i is one example.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
I've got a set of 16" bbs basket weaves off a 97 740i e38 I would like to sell. Pm me if interested.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthometz View Post
My Advise is to get some regular BMW rims and tires for the vehicle. Sell or trade the existing metrics. I had the same issue and went COSTCO to price out the Michelins and was sticker shocked at $300.00 per tire a year back.

What I did find are some sizes that fit.
Most 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 inch. On e28, e39
I found 16"x8", 23mm offset from Craig’s List. They came off a 735i is one example.
If you go with E39 wheels you will need hubcentric rings.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:58 PM

Well, I actually found out that the car has what looks like 7 series 15" wheels on it, so I was able to go to Tire Rack and get some 195/65 tires for it that fit perfect. V rated Goodyear Eagle GTs too No good if the car won't stop though. Does anyone have any experience with the brakes going bad on these cars? I have never heard of a master cylinder going bad on older BMWs. Caliper maybe? I can't tell, I couldn't see anything obviously wrong other than the front brakes would need new pads and rotors soon. I would hate to rebuild the calipers only to find out it was the master cylinder...
Old 10-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Well, I actually found out that the car has what looks like 7 series 15" wheels on it, so I was able to go to Tire Rack and get some 195/65 tires for it that fit perfect. V rated Goodyear Eagle GTs too No good if the car won't stop though. Does anyone have any experience with the brakes going bad on these cars? I have never heard of a master cylinder going bad on older BMWs. Caliper maybe? I can't tell, I couldn't see anything obviously wrong other than the front brakes would need new pads and rotors soon. I would hate to rebuild the calipers only to find out it was the master cylinder...
That's where I would start. Do you have a Bentley manual? It should have several steps to troubleshoot the system. It is an invaluable tool in maintaining E28s.

Last edited by hugh1850; 10-05-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh1850 View Post
That's were I would start. Do you have a Bentley manual? It should have several steps to troubleshoot the system. It is an invaluable tool in maintaining E28s.
Well, I wasn't really planning on keeping the car because of the terrible rust in the trunk. I just want to get it roadworthy so I can get rid of it! But I do have a Bentley manual for this car, and my other two BMWs. Once I saw how well put together the manual was for my E30, I bought them for every BMW I have acquired. Anyways, so you would start with the caliper rebuild? I was thinking about diving right into the master cylinder...
Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Well, I wasn't really planning on keeping the car because of the terrible rust in the trunk. I just want to get it roadworthy so I can get rid of it! But I do have a Bentley manual for this car, and my other two BMWs. Once I saw how well put together the manual was for my E30, I bought them for every BMW I have acquired. Anyways, so you would start with the caliper rebuild? I was thinking about diving right into the master cylinder...
I'm not sure, have you flushed and refilled the system?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
The trunk rust doesn't look bad in the picture. if it isn't rusted through I would just get some POR-15, wire brush as much as I can and paint it. As for the brakes, welcome to hydraulic assisted brakes! The 535 has a hydraulic assist system instead of your typical vacuum booster. so check your power steering system fluid (ATF), the brake "bomb". Also, since it has been neglected this bad it probably has never seen new brake fluid so check all your calipers to make sure that they are not sticking and bleed the brakes until you see new and clean brake fluid coming out. As for the master cylinder, the sign of a bad is a brake pedal that goes all the way to the floow slowly. It might be the hydraulic booster (very pricey around $400!). Check your Bentley for this information!
As for your shifter, replace all the bushings in the system and install a new seal (rubber boot).
Good Luck!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoreno View Post
The trunk rust doesn't look bad in the picture. if it isn't rusted through I would just get some POR-15, wire brush as much as I can and paint it. As for the brakes, welcome to hydraulic assisted brakes! The 535 has a hydraulic assist system instead of your typical vacuum booster. so check your power steering system fluid (ATF), the brake "bomb". Also, since it has been neglected this bad it probably has never seen new brake fluid so check all your calipers to make sure that they are not sticking and bleed the brakes until you see new and clean brake fluid coming out. As for the master cylinder, the sign of a bad is a brake pedal that goes all the way to the floow slowly. It might be the hydraulic booster (very pricey around $400!). Check your Bentley for this information!
As for your shifter, replace all the bushings in the system and install a new seal (rubber boot).
Good Luck!
Well, you were right about the brake fluid never having been flushed. It was a nice thick brown with large black chunks in it. I tried to do the old fashioned bleed with a buddy of mine in the car...he would pump up the pedal and hold it after it got pressure built up, and I would open the bleed valve on the caliper. But it only worked on the right rear caliper. All the other calipers barely let out any juice when I opened the valve, but the pressure on the pedal stayed. Anyway, when my friend was pumping the pedal, it would build up pressure and stay firm but then it would go all the way to the floor and he would have to build the pressure back up again (without me opening the bleed valve). It's like the pressure got built up, but then the fluid slipped past a seal or something and the pedal dropped to the floor. That's why I went straight for the master cylinder. Now I've stripped the fittings that take the lines out of the master cylinder, so I'm stuck right now. I haven't even driven this $%*# car yet! Not even once on the road! I don't doubt that I'll find more things wrong with it once I get it moving