Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-16-2009, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 318IS
Talking E36 Climate Control FIX!

I just signed up to the forum after completing the climate control fix on my 1996 318is. My air did not work at all. I did the fix and replaced the .47 uf relay and voila it works wonderfully! no more driving around sweating my a$$ off anymore!! Total cost was 14.36 compared to going to bmw or ordering a replacement and spending hundreds. if you havent done this and your ac doesnt work then do it! i didnt think it would work but lo and behold it works marvelously! BOOYA! also i just replaced my plugs, pcv valve, oil, air fuel and oil filters. Any questions on any of these ill answer quickly. thanks for having me here!
Ads by Google
Old 08-16-2009, 04:57 PM
auto>manual swap crew

Mein Auto: 2 black ones
I did the exact same thing to mine yesterday

climate control kept coming on and off...then it stayed off but my a/c was stuck on.....went to radioshack bought the capacitor and all is well now

Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Synth Oil & Vodka.

Mein Auto: 318 Coupe / E46 328i
Congrats to you guys, ill have to remember this for a "just in case" situation as there seem to be many in the E36.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
can anyone explain me where can i find this .47 uf relay ?? my A/C has stop cooling, and the #1 and #2 speed does not throw air like it used to do, i mean the air feels very slow...

thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 06:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
It's not a relay it's a capacitor and it's on the circuit card inside your AC control. Generally the capacitor problem causes the control to stop working completely, as in dark display.
If your fan is still running it could be a couple of other things besides the .47uF cap. Have you changed the micro filter? If it's really clogged it will dramaticallyl cut the air flow.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to BMWredneck Send a message via Yahoo to BMWredneck
Mein Auto: 96 318is Auto
where is this microfilter? i been hearin about it for years and havent even thought about changing mine but it prolly wouldnt hurt... especially since it doesnt blow hard anymore.