Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-26-2015, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0i & 2002 325i
leaky panarama - sincere thx to this board

I had a couple bouts with heavy rain here in eastern Iowa recently, and my panorama was leaking profusely into both front seat footwells.

After intensive research - and finally getting both free time and a sunny weekend day - decided to pull the A pillar covers to check out the hose.

Both hoses were kinked, like someone had issued screwing the pillars back in after removing them at some point - and moved them from the clips on the top side of the pillar, then didn't bother to check and see whether the hose was seated in the channel at the bottom, nor whether they were straight. It had to have been done deliberately.

Then it dawned upon mne...I had my windshield replaced in September of last year.

Maddening.

Took all of a half hour top remedy...and when I straightened them out, water poured through the drain hole underneath the X like it should.

So...once again this site saves me hundreds of $ providing me the info to fix something of this type. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Sport
Just curious...who replaced your windshield?
Old 04-26-2015, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0i & 2002 325i
Safelite, 8th Ave SE in Cedar Rapids.

Here's the irony. Back in the late 80's and early 90's, my best friend worked there when it was known as Iowa Glass. The guy who did the work last fall worked with my buddy. I KNEW the guy back then. He recognized me, we had beers after work several times through the years.

Thanks pal for the bucket or two of water in my vehicle. I'm praying I don't have fried electronics...all windows open, I sponged the water out, and have small fans laying down on the carpets. At least the Weathertechs caught some of the water both times or it would have been a lot worse.

I know there's several posts through the years, but it took me a half hour to fix. It's pretty simple.

1) Remove the plastic rectangular cover exposing the torx T20 screw, then unscrew that.
2) Gently tug from the top on both sides of the cover until it frees and pull it all the way out. 3) Inspect the hose for kinks etc, seated in the channel on the bottom metal A pillar metal, etc.
4) Put the hose back in the clips, carefully making sure the screw seat is exposed.
5) Replace the pillar cover, manipulating the felt-like door gasket over the panel.
6) Get that panel in perfect, and inspect the opening to see where the screw seat is.
7) Put the screw on your torx bit and hand thread it in the seat, then tighten it all the way down with the ratchet.
8) Replace the tiny plastic cover.

Took me a half hour. That sound of water hitting the driveway was music to my ears.

The right side hose was severely kinked, yet seated still. The left side was slightly kinked, but pulled out of the seat for the hose. Both hoses were completely removed from the clips that hold them into place. No wonder using air pressure from underneath the vehicle didn't work.