And you thought cars were getting expensive... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 06-13-2017, 10:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
And you thought cars were getting expensive...

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/...607c68af59.png

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 63K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014

Last edited by mr_clueless; 06-14-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2017, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Interesting.

We spend a lot more on personal computers and cell phones now than we did in 1978. The same is true of a lot of health care; there's more of it to be had now. In 1978 a lot of today's health care didn't exist. Instead, you got sick and died.

College costs more because the government is involved: government backed student loans stimulating demand for often useless college educations, and a lot of colleges being run by government (and bureaucrats). The government subsidies for state colleges has gone down, too. My tuition in the 1970's at Old Dominion University was about $1200 year. Now, ODU charges about $25,000/year for in-state tuition.

The graph shows about 100% inflation for cars, but the number says "0%." Something's wrong. Also, when the government calculates inflation for automobiles they don't just look at the price. They also factor in the added value of the cars due to new technology: safety equipment, emission controls, rustproofing (my 1976 VW Rabbit had significant rust issues after 12 years), added amenities, increased performance, reduced maintenance costs, etc., etc. etc.

My 1976 Rabbit stickered for about $4100. But, it had power... nothing (manual steering, brakes, windows, side view mirror (just one on the driver's side), seats, door locks), and no air conditioner. It also had a whopping 70 horsepower and 155/80-R13 tires. Radial tires and front disc brakes (solid, not ventilated) were part of the sport package along with a cover over the cargo area. It did have a full-size spare tire and a real wheel though, making a five-tire rotation pattern possible. It weighed about 1900 pounds. Under perfect conditions I could get 33 MPG. But, my 2014, 4100 pound, 300 h.p. 535i also gets about 33 MPG under perfect conditions. If I had a head-on collision with a 1976 VW Rabbit at 40 MPH, I'd walk a way. 1978 Autoputzer, driving the Rabbit, would have a closed casket for visitation.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 06-14-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
The graph shows about 100% inflation for cars, but the number says "0%." Something's wrong.
I informed the author about it and they have fixed it. Thanks.

It's part of an article pointing out the rise in student loans.
https://www.advisorperspectives.com/...-largest-asset

I think healthcare is also increasing because of monopolies, not because of improvements alone.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsand...are-per-person
Quote:
With development, health outcomes generally improve, but the U.S. is an anomaly. The U.S. and the U.K. are both high-income, highly developed countries. The U.K. spends less per person ($3,749) on health care than the U.S. ($9,237). Despite its high spending, the U.S. does not have the best health outcomes. [Life expectancy, for example, is 79.1 years in the U.S. and 80.9 years in the U.K. And while the U.S. spends more on health care than any country in the world, it ranks 12th in life expectancy among the 12 wealthiest industrialized countries, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation, a non-profit organization focusing on health issues.]

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 63K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Old 06-14-2017, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Cars and medical care have significant tech advances and changes, as Mr_c notes. "value" per $ is at least trackable, and though debatable, makes at least some sense.

Colleges, not even close. Bluntly, not worth the current money. That's a business that's could use some major disruption.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 12+ Years

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search