Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 08-27-2014, 05:47 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Your Smartphone Suggestions

I have never found a real need for a smartphone so I have never operated or own one, but that is not to say they are not useful for work or for play. So, let's get to my situation without fanfare. Here is the conundrum. I need a gift for a young 13 year old girl. I know she has been drooling for a iPhone 5s, unlocked, GSM version. I am not concern whether this phone is an overkill for a 13 year old kid. Is there another smartphone I should consider?

I know there are lots of rumor that the iPhone 6 is going to be announced, Sep 6, which makes the iPhone 5s $100 less expensive from its current price.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, thereís a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Ads by Google
Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
SAMSUNG anything over iPhone anything.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 740iL
If I were you, I'd get her a iPhone 4S instead. 13 years old, I don't know your daughter, you know her better than everyone else here. I don't think a 13 years old would be the most careful person to keep the phone safe from dropping or stolen.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:57 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkw View Post
If I were you, I'd get her a iPhone 4S instead. 13 years old, I don't know your daughter, you know her better than everyone else here. I don't think a 13 years old would be the most careful person to keep the phone safe from dropping or stolen.
Interesting in that one assumes it's my daughter.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, thereís a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 740iL
Op. My bad. I worked late last night. So morning isn't my mind is only working 60%. 40% is still asleep. Any 13 years old in that case.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Interesting in that one assumes it's my daughter.
Great Grand-daughter?

Teens drop/lose/break phones. So, something not especially valuable as a starter phone might be a better choice.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
If going iPhone, then yes an older model and the all important otter box. My niece has gone through a few iphone screens and finally her mother got her an otter box. No more problems!

Personally, I would go Moto G ($179) or Moto E ($129). They're cheap, they're solid, they're more than any teen/adolescent needs and they're easy to replace. We gave my mother and mother-in-law the G (E was not out) and they're totally happy with them.

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...-E/moto-e.html

Love my apple products but cost, no reason to ever flirt with an iPhone for a kid.

http://www.engadget.com/products/motorola/moto/e/
Quote:
Engadget review

The Moto E is one of those curious devices that's unassuming and yet immediately recognizable at the same time. That sounds a tad paradoxical, but hear me out. Its face is spartan, to put it politely, and the E's 4.3-inch qHD screen (swathed in Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 no less) is bounded by some unobtrusive bezels. Your eyes can't help but be drawn to the two silver strips that run in parallel above and below the screen, comprising the speakers and microphone. Together, they make for a very tasteful touch of personality that gives the E a sense of self without much extra visual noise.

Flipping the Moto E over reveals that the company's design DNA hasn't been diluted at all. The recessed Motorola logo, the swooping curve around the 3.5mm headphone jack -- if Superman took hold of a Moto G and compressed it a bit (you know, without turning it into a diamond or something), you'd basically have the Moto E. Meanwhile, a 5-megapixel camera sans flash sits high on the E's rear and selfie fanatics will be crushed when they discover there's no ego-stroking front camera here. The E skews toward the chubbier end of the size spectrum (compared to the lithe Moto X, at least), but its curved rear means it'll fit quite comfortably in your mitts. During my testing, I actually found myself cursing at my otherwise trusty iPhone 5s and its prominent edges. The E is awfully nice to hold, even when compared to premium gadgets like HTC's One M8...

here's no shortage of cheap hardware out there, and more than a few competitors may wind up duking it out with Motorola over first-time smartphone shoppers. Take older, pint-sized versions of high-end phones like the HTC One mini and the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini -- both of them offer more oomph, but even now they'll cost close to twice what the E does. Speaking of Samsung, you can nab a dual-SIM Galaxy S Duos 2 for close to the same price as the E-- you can juggle multiple phone numbers and enjoy a camera with a flash, though TouchWiz could bog things down a bit. There's the LG L40, too, a cheapo device the Korean company showed off at MWC. It hovers around the same price range as the Moto E, but its screen is markedly worse and a shortage of RAM doesn't exactly bode well for performance.

The Nokia X will also give the Moto E a run for its money in certain locales. It's a curious little thing with its peculiar Finnish pedigree, offbeat launcher and Ä89 (about $141) price tag, but a weaker spec sheet and Nokia's control over its own app store means the experience it offers is limited in some key ways. Not all of the E's competition comes from outside Motorola, either. The Moto G packs more power and performance into a bigger body, and it's still only $50 more than its little brother. I'd wager that a decent number of shoppers on a budget will gravitate toward the more impressive G, but the difference in price could be too much for some to swallow....

There's no two ways about it -- the Moto E is exciting, if not in the way most mobile buffs would like. You really shouldn't underestimate the sort of world-shaking power that can come from making something that's both very good and very cheap. So what if the spec sheet is a bit passť? For all its minor shortcomings, the Moto E still represents a level of power and quality that's become even more accessible to people the world over, and that's something worth celebrating. If all you need is a smartphone that can take you to Facebook, capture fodder for Instagram or fire off missives on Twitter (or WhatsApp or Weibo), the Moto E will make a worthy sidekick. Not every important device has to be a flashy flagship.

If Motorola ever manages to offer the $129 Moto E for under $100 (and I bet it will eventually), we could be looking at a game changer; a device that could really help bring the next billion people into an age of connectedness most of us already take for granted. Until then, the E's value is obscured a touch -- the superior balance of performance and price means the Moto G will be worth the extra $50 for most people.

Last edited by brkf; 08-27-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post
Great Grand-daughter?

Teens drop/lose/break phones. So, something not especially valuable as a starter phone might be a better choice.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Hey, now here's a topic I have some knowledge in!

Giving a 13 yo girl anything but an iPhone 5 (pick the variant) would be a waste. They don't care about function beyond iTunes, social media aps, snapchat, and facetime. Sorry, but it's true. I have a 13 yo daughter, and iPhones are all any of them have. Which is a better phone is completely irrelevant to the conversation. For cool factor, the 5S>5 or 5C, but the 5C will be just fine in pink or blue. Don't do the 4S, since it's too old in teen-girl-world. The 5 and 5S have a ton more case options, which is totally the most important thing, like, ever. When you give her the iPhone and she sends a thank you that includes hashtags like #bestgiftever #luvit, then you can be glad you took my advice

Iím usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Teenagers are power users, often more so than adults. Buy her the iPhone 5s, she longs for it, it is a fine phone. Prices on the 5s will drop by at some point. You can determine if you want to wait for the price drop or not.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Might be good to get a 4s for a 6 month learning curve period. If she breaks it, will be a bit more cautious when she gets a 5. One of my clients is an IT tech and he claims the 4s is a pretty good device, the only used phone he would consider. Need to make sure you buy the right one for your carrier. Can be had for under $200.

I prefer my 5s to the HTC M8 I had for two weeks as the iPhone size is more to my liking. The HTC was a monster. Also the tap to awake feature on the HTC was sporadic, drove me nuts. The iPhone has an actual button for waking up. Much less hassle.

If this is tea, please bring me some coffee. But if this is coffee, please bring me some tea. - Abe Lincoln
Old 08-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Not Wearing Pants

I'm appalled at some of the answers, making it seem like a teenager has a right to demand a certain kind of cell phone.

Holy crap, can't imagine ever muttering a word to my parents (or my kids saying a thing to me) about any present.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Just hang on another month or so before you buy. If apple keeps to its traditions, the iPhone 6 should be unveiled September sometime and then be on shelves by mid October.

All of those who plan on renewing their contracts with their carriers will choose to do so to get the subsidized pricing on the 6 and then sell their existing phone. Should create a nice bump in the supply as well as some cheapies for those who want to sell theirs fast.

If I were in the market for a used iPhone, I'd be shopping then.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter
Old 08-27-2014, 06:41 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
I used to work for a very frugal but smart boss. Thas was back around 1985. I respected him very much. We had a chat one day, and the discussion was about clothing for her daughter. He surmised that there is very little difference in the quality of clothing between the expensive popular label ones vs generic brands. He gave in and bought her the clothing she wanted on the logic that for the difference in price she would be happy with the generic label. The moral of the story is if she has the lust for something that is important to her, you either buy it or you don't. This holds true with the automobile you drive. A car to most of you is more than going from point A to point B. The real question I have is really, should I buy the iPhone 5s for her or not.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 08-27-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:48 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
I decided not to wait for the 6 because the 5 is smaller, which I preferred, and another IT tech client assures me that I'll be able to download operating system upgrades free of charge for some time. He claims the 5s will be state of the art for quite a while. So I think the advice here is good, wait until the 6 comes out and pick up a 5s on the cheap.

If this is tea, please bring me some coffee. But if this is coffee, please bring me some tea. - Abe Lincoln
Old 08-27-2014, 06:51 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Quote:
I have never found a real need for a smartphone so I have never operated or own one, but that is not to say they are not useful for work or for play. So, let's get to my situation without fanfare. Here is the conundrum. I need a gift for a young 13 year old girl. I know she has been drooling for a iPhone 5s, unlocked, GSM version. I am not concern whether this phone is an overkill for a 13 year old kid. Is there another smartphone I should consider?

I know there are lots of rumor that the iPhone 6 is going to be announced, Sep 6, which makes the iPhone 5s $100 less expensive from its current price.
You really don't want to force Android on somebody who wanted IOS. Every issue will be your responsibility for years. At the end of it they don't take care of you when you are old.

Unlocking can be done for the tech-savvy on a locked phone but keep in mind rooting and unlocking are different things. An older or used phone can reduce cost.

Not much choice.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
Just hang on another month or so before you buy. If apple keeps to its traditions, the iPhone 6 should be unveiled September sometime and then be on shelves by mid October.

All of those who plan on renewing their contracts with their carriers will choose to do so to get the subsidized pricing on the 6 and then sell their existing phone. Should create a nice bump in the supply as well as some cheapies for those who want to sell theirs fast.

If I were in the market for a used iPhone, I'd be shopping then.
It is unfortunate timing is not right. Rumors have it early Sep for i6 announcement, and release by 2nd or 3rd week in Sep. I have to have a phone in my hand by Sep 15, going to Germany. Apple store said typically old phone (5s) will be reduced by $100. So, if I don't buy the phone by then, I cannot hand it to her. I would be liable for VAT tax and mailing cost if I mail it to her.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 08-27-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
I'm appalled at some of the answers, making it seem like a teenager has a right to demand a certain kind of cell phone.

Holy crap, can't imagine ever muttering a word to my parents (or my kids saying a thing to me) about any present.
If you're referring to me (and from reading the thread, you likely are at least in part), at no point did I say she should be able to demand a specific phone. What I said was she would want the iPhone, and giving her what you want won't make her as happy. It's a gift - why would you buy a substitute for what the kid really wants? You're not saving money, you're not making her as happy as you could, so why would you take that path? This wasn't "should I get her a gift of x value", but more of a "I'm going to get her a gift, I know the cost, would this be a good choice" kind of question.

Now, if you're addressing the OP, I agree that was a pretty danged specific request! What conversations they've had prior, I don't know, so I'm not going to judge.

Iím usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
I used to work for a very frugal but smart boss. Thas was back around 1985. I respected him very much. We had a chat one day, and the discussion was about clothing for her daughter. He surmised that there is very little difference in the quality of clothing between the expensive popular label ones vs generic brands. He gave in and bought her the clothing she wanted on the logic that for the difference in price she would be happy with the generic label. The moral of the story is if she has the lust for something that is important to her, you either buy it or you don't. This holds true with the automobile you drive. A car to most of you is more than going from point A to point B. The real question I have is really, should I buy the iPhone 5s for her or not.
If you're determined to get it, then as others have said, wait until the iPhone 6 is announced next week. The swappa deals on the 5s will improve. New prices will drop too.

Edit: just saw this thing about Europe. Usually apple drops the prices the day of the announcement. So you will be able to get the iPhone 5s at a discount next week. Or buy it now and get the price fix next week. Yes, Apple will do that. Check with stores but I've heard many people pulling that.

Last edited by brkf; 08-28-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&K View Post
If you're referring to me (and from reading the thread, you likely are at least in part), at no point did I say she should be able to demand a specific phone. What I said was she would want the iPhone, and giving her what you want won't make her as happy. It's a gift - why would you buy a substitute for what the kid really wants? You're not saving money, you're not making her as happy as you could, so why would you take that path? This wasn't "should I get her a gift of x value", but more of a "I'm going to get her a gift, I know the cost, would this be a good choice" kind of question.

Now, if you're addressing the OP, I agree that was a pretty danged specific request! What conversations they've had prior, I don't know, so I'm not going to judge.
Understood.

I'm hearing about teens demanding phones often and it confuses me. My wife's employees all lament the expense of the iPhone and that they must get them for their kids. What? Must? Strange to me.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Understood.

I'm hearing about teens demanding phones often and it confuses me. My wife's employees all lament the expense of the iPhone and that they must get them for their kids. What? Must? Strange to me.
Ditto. Don't want to teach kids an over-inflated sense of entitlement. In my book, the only time getting a kid something is a "must" is when they've worked hard to earn it.

Kid sits and games their brains out all day = didn't earn Jack.

Kid helps out around the house and does something huge like helping cleaning out the garage for a yard sale = "must" reward kid.