Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Early Bday gift for my 16 year old.

I've been a musician all of my life. But none of my daughters have ever expressed an interest to play an instrument at all. Megan is into gangster rap. And Heather is into One direction. But Heather has been telling me that lately she has had the desire to learn the Ukulele. She loves the song riptide by Vance Joy. So naturally I was jazzed about it. So I bought her an early Bday gift. And she loves it. I used to play professionally. In 1987 I flew to Los Angeles to audition for Ozzy Ozbourne but was to late because he had chosen Zakk Wylde. So after that I just treated music as more of a hobby. These are a few videos I made in my home studio of a few little riffs. And the third one is of my 15 year old getting ready to turn 16 after I surprised her with her gift from dad. And she has just submersed herself into it. I was tickled to get this for her.
Me just noodling away in the studio.

My little girls Bday present.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: Two 1987 325i, 418K, 211K
Good show. A uke would be fine to start with. And not bad in their own right.

No doubt you've heard the guy that does 'while my guitar gently weeps' on the uke. I think this is the original, some imitators out there that aren't quite as good:

Last edited by cmac2012; 02-13-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Good show. A uke would be fine to start with. And not bad in their own right.

No doubt you've heard the guy that does 'while my guitar gently weeps' on the uke. I think this is the original, some imitators out there that aren't quite as good:

That was truly amazing. After playing full size guitars all of my life a Uke is tiny. And the tuning is much different than a guitar. It's G C E A. Guitar is E A D G B E. But she has been practicing all night learning to play riptide by Vance Joy. And she's just about nailed it and can sing it.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1
Old 02-13-2015, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Most famous "uke" player? Tiny Tim? Don Ho? Discuss.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 02-13-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4luvr View Post
Most famous "uke" player? Tiny Tim? Don Ho? Discuss.
You are absolutely correct. Tiny bubbles and tip toeing through the tulips lol! I remember them. When your kids show an interest in what you've always loved it just brings a tear to your eye. I told her that she is going to have a really good head start on most people because of her daddy. I started playing drums when I was 4. And when I heard Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen I traded my drums for the guitar. Hearing Eruption and Over the mountain solo by Randy Rhoads that was the turning point for me. And all of the fun I had in the mid to late 80's gigging the clubs and all of the wild girls? OMG! That was one of the best times of my life. I don't discuss those time with my wife though. No way lol!

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1

Last edited by rhipsher; 02-13-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:08 AM
Renaissance Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
That was truly amazing. After playing full size guitars all of my life a Uke is tiny. And the tuning is much different than a guitar. It's G C E A. Guitar is E A D G B E. But she has been practicing all night learning to play riptide by Vance Joy. And she's just about nailed it and can sing it.
I'm a picker myself - folky mostly but I'm halfway versatile. I'm trying to puzzle it out but it seems that tuning is the same intervals as the first fours strings on a guitar. Would be handy for me as I could play the chords. I tried to pick up mandolin once and never took off with it. Chords are different but that's not much of an excuse.

I just wish I'd learned to play piano when I was a kid. Sort of like learning a language. Much easier to do it when the brain is all pliable. Seems many of the good songwriters also play piano.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:23 AM
Smuggled into the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW E34 525i
Just your typical tuba player here.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:16 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Very nice. I bet she will keep that forever, has a lot of sentimental value. But how about that new bow wrapped BMW in the driveway to compliment the Ukulele?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X3
Ukulele music always reminds me of IZ.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:35 AM

That's what happens when you woof down to many cheeseburgers. But he looks happy and plays a Uk.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1

Last edited by rhipsher; 02-14-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Renaissance Dude

He looks (and probably was) bigger in other pictures. But dang the guy had a voice. I'd nominate him for the top uke performer of all time.

Oh wait, watching the vid - yeah, it shows some of those huge pics. Not sure why but it does seem some of the Pacific Islander people have trouble with weight. My best guess is that their subsistence from fishing, etc. was always on the edge and they developed physical and cultural traits of wolfing down food when it was available. Along comes modern times and fully stocked grocery stores, McDs, etc.

Last edited by cmac2012; 02-14-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:23 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Lol! What a freak. But god bless him because the world needs freaks in it to keep things interesting. If everybody were the same it would be like living in Village of the damned.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1
Old 02-14-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Very nice. I bet she will keep that forever, has a lot of sentimental value. But how about that new bow wrapped BMW in the driveway to compliment the Ukulele?
I don't know about a brand new BMW! But I told her that she can drive the 530i if she can reach the peddles. I'll just get me a new 5 series and she can have it. But it has a 6 speed manual in it and she's scared and resistant to learn how to operate it. So I think a mini or a VW Bug is in her future for now.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1
Old 02-14-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
He looks (and probably was) bigger in other pictures. But dang the guy had a voice. I'd nominate him for the top uke performer of all time.

Oh wait, watching the vid - yeah, it shows some of those huge pics. Not sure why but it does seem some of the Pacific Islander people have trouble with weight. My best guess is that their subsistence from fishing, etc. was always on the edge and they developed physical and cultural traits of wolfing down food when it was available. Along comes modern times and fully stocked grocery stores, McDs, etc.
According to this page he also had thyroid problems that ran in his family and weighed as much as 750 lbs before he died. It really is a sad story because he was apparently a very nice guy.

He sure had one hell of a turnout at his funeral. The tribute video also shows him being overweight at a very young age.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Renaissance Dude

He made a pretty big splash, no pun intended, in the US when 'Over the Rainbow' came out. Amazing that someone could take that old and slightly worn classic and turn it into a new hit like that.

Lucky for me I posted the link to Jake Shimabukuro's uke rendition of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' up above. After it stopped, it had links to other of his performances, none of which I'd heard. In fact I hadn't heard of him at all since seeing the 'Guitar Gently Weeps' video on MSNBC, I think it was the Rachel Maddow show (?!).

Turns out that one has more than 13 million views (kaching) or maybe not since it's a cover, not sure. Anyway, he's done quite a bit of performing since that time and deservedly so. His take on Cohen's Hallelujah is sweet. It's one that I do but dang, it's been covered so much, one needs to find the right arrangement to grab anyone. Listening to it has inspired me. GDit, I can do that song!

Last edited by cmac2012; 02-14-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
He made a pretty big splash, no pun intended, in the US when 'Over the Rainbow' came out. Amazing that someone could take that old and slightly worn classic and turn it into a new hit like that.

Lucky for me I posted the link to Jake Shimabukuro's uke rendition of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' up above. After it stopped, it had links to other of his performances, none of which I'd heard. In fact I hadn't heard of him at all since seeing the 'Guitar Gently Weeps' video on the MSNBC, I think it was the Rachel Maddow show (?!).

Turns out that one has more than 13 million views (kaching) or maybe not since it's a cover, not sure. Anyway, he's done quite a bit of performing since that time and deservedly so. His take on Cohen's Hallelujah is sweet. It's one that I do but dang, it's been covered so much, one needs to find the right arrangement to grab anyone. Listening to it has inspired me. GDit, I can do that song!

Amazing.

I never used to take the uke seriously until I heard what some people can do with one.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Renaissance Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I don't know about a brand new BMW! But I told her that she can drive the 530i if she can reach the peddles. I'll just get me a new 5 series and she can have it. But it has a 6 speed manual in it and she's scared and resistant to learn how to operate it. So I think a mini or a VW Bug is in her future for now.
I do the Craigslist rideshare thing about twice a year in my 325i from the Bay Area up to OlyWA where most of my family lives. Good fun most of the time. I've met some remarkable people, some of them quite appealing, if you take my meaning. It's getting harder and harder to find drivers who can handle a stick. I think it a shame. Perhaps if you could find her some sort of 4 speed in a ricer or VW so she could learn on something a bit less imposing, might work. A young woman who could competently drive a 6 speed BMW would impress people.

Last edited by cmac2012; 02-14-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I do the Craigslist rideshare thing about twice a year in my 325i from the Bay Area up to OlyWA where most of my family lives. Good fun most of the time. I've met some remarkable people, some of them quite appealing, if you take my meaning. It's getting harder and harder to find drivers who can handle a stick. I think it a shame. Perhaps if you could find her some sort of 4 speed in a ricer or VW so she could learn on something a bit less imposing, might work. A young woman who could competently drive a 6 speed BMW would impress people.
I was born and raised in San Jose from 1970 to 1995 when I got some sense in me and moved to Texas. But your right about manuals becoming a thing of the past. I remember back in California about 1993 I bought a 1975 Dodge Duster that had a manual three on the tree column shifter. Not only had I never seen one before but never even heard of one until this car. But once I got the hang of it I could get scratch in every gear. I remember my mother was out of town and I had to watch her German Shepherd and the damn car was so ugly that I just let him ride up front with me in the bench seat. I remember power shifting into 2nd gear so hard that the dog did a 360 flip and landed in the back seat upside down lol! He didn't know what the hell had just happened. But I was laughing so damn hard I had to pull over. I'll never forget that moment. But I found a video of a three on the tree shifter and how it works.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1

Last edited by rhipsher; 02-14-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Renaissance Dude

What, did that Duster have a 318? I actually owned a taxi for a couple of years in Seattle, a Plymouth Satellite with a 318. Not a wussy motor.

Oh man, 3 on the tree is REALLY a thing of the past. I used to be totally down with those. My first vehicle was an International Travelall panel with a big 6 and 3 on the tree. Then in '75 I got a '67 Saab 96 with a V4 for $600. 3 on the tree also. My first performance car. Only barely qualified for that status but it was a rally winner in Europe on a regular basis I gather. Also good for ice lake racing (?!). They would put on tires with spikes.

I was just thinking that if I had a Jay Leno style garage I'd get one of the 3 carburetor 2 stroke, 3 cylinder Saabs and get it cherried out. Never even saw or heard one of those AFAIK. Not fast but wild. So I did a search, and it turns out Leno has one and digs it!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...maker-9989519/

I first saw one in a Road and Track test in the late 60s and I'm thinking 'what kind of fool would own something that ugly?'

Here's the kind I want, this one is probably early 60s, has the older grill. I found some youtube vids with the damn things screaming around turns at 7000 rpm plus.

Last edited by cmac2012; 02-14-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Over-the-Hill

Mein Auto: '07 530xiT
Great gift!
Old 02-15-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
Great gift!
Thank you. I figured it was going to be a hit.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1
Old 02-15-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Oh man, 3 on the tree is REALLY a thing of the past. I used to be totally down with those. My first vehicle was an International Travelall panel with a big 6 and 3 on the tree.
Immediately reminded me of Grumpy Old Men and Max Goldman.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
First I thought that was your 16 years old playing in the video......
Old 02-15-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkw View Post
First I thought that was your 16 years old playing in the video......
Third vid yes. First two are dad back in 2006.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1