Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 08-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
E38 Window Regulators

well of course my window regulators would go out. it was first the back two. then the front ones started acting up, now i dont even want to roll them down. not that big of a problem since i dont do too much fast food eating or drive through banking. but it is an inconvenience.

today i went to price the regulators at the dealership, about $410 each with a commercial customer discount. through my company, i can get them for $180 each. not to mention with a lifetime warranty on the parts. so theres a simple choice i have to make.

as far as replacing them myself, the removal of the door panel and the window regulator looks pretty strait foward. making sure to use a door panel removal tool will be critical to not having a loose door panel when i reinstall it. so i'm probably going to go ahead and do that myself.

while i have the door panels off, i might as well think about replacing the door speakers. just not sure what i should go with that will work well with the stock stereo.

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2009, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyItaliano View Post
well of course my window regulators would go out. it was first the back two. then the front ones started acting up, now i dont even want to roll them down. not that big of a problem since i dont do too much fast food eating or drive through banking. but it is an inconvenience.

today i went to price the regulators at the dealership, about $410 each with a commercial customer discount. through my company, i can get them for $180 each. not to mention with a lifetime warranty on the parts. so theres a simple choice i have to make.

as far as replacing them myself, the removal of the door panel and the window regulator looks pretty strait foward. making sure to use a door panel removal tool will be critical to not having a loose door panel when i reinstall it. so i'm probably going to go ahead and do that myself.

while i have the door panels off, i might as well think about replacing the door speakers. just not sure what i should go with that will work well with the stock stereo.
i wonder if the zip-tie fix will work for you on the windows. in most cases on the 3 seriies, if the window still moves, you most likely can fix it with a few quality zip ties for a parts cost of a few bucks. It's usually a small cheap plastic piece inside a perfectly good metal part that breaks anyway so why replace all the good stuff that will likely never fail, and at $$$$. The dealer always wants to replace the whole assembly to make money on the parts.

If you're game for taking the panel off, see if this link helps (part of the e46 wiki, probably the best on this site):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...kes_bad_noises

Save that money for when you really need it or for the new speakers!

BTW, '76 280Z.... nice. I saw one here in CLT that had been suped-up a bit..... had a rockin' exhaust on it. Not fart-can... more like racing style.... sounded like a good 3-series sport exhaust on steroids. Those cars had a good note to begin with.

Last edited by ahull; 08-18-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: 280 Z
Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 PM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

Mein Auto: The E38
I have heard some E38ers have been happy with this place for repair or refurb purchase:

http://www.regulatorusa.com/index.php

Passed on to new families:
E30 1987 325i Royal Blue
E39 2003 540i/6 Sterling Gray
R56 2010 Mini Cooper S British Racing Green

Old 08-21-2009, 05:35 PM

the windows are able to move, but get stuck. the left rear one will go down, but will need to be pushed half way up. i can at least crack the front two for ventilation when i first get into the hot car. i was talking to one of my customers and he was telling me that he has fixed many window regulators of the same design. said he would help me with them. hopefully they are able to be repaired with some new parts. i'm thinking its what happens commonly with a lot of 5er's, with the plastic clip comming out and letting the cable off track. i still need to open the door up though.

*Der E38*
Old 09-28-2009, 02:44 PM

today i've popped the door panel off, which was surprisingly easy. i of course had the right tools to do so too. anyways, i've found the problem. its this damned nylon pulley thats come apart. called the dealership and its said that they dont have just that part available. i'm sure. anyone have a solution for these because the other ones are going to break as well. i may just go order a whole new regulator though since i'm somewhat impatient with a non oporational window.

here's exactly what mine looked like

*Der E38*
Old 09-29-2009, 02:26 PM

well i've kind of figured its going to come down to having to order brand new regulator assemblies. Doorman brand makes them, i can get it through my company for about $200, thats factory shipped too so including shipping and taxes. i noticed that these regulators look original and have not been previously replaced. i just sucks that after 8 years, these of all things go out. but its like that in many other makes and models sadly. keeps the aftermarket companies in business though.

*Der E38*
Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 740i orient blue
that plastic wheel breaks all the time at usually the same place - BMW didn't think this one through - a metal cable running over a plastic wheel - over time steel beat plastic like rock crushes sissors -- I've had several rebuilt regulators done by Regulators USA and its a lot less expensive than new ones. Go to E38.org and there are several great tutorials about replacing the regulators.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 PM

has anyone here used the window regulators from oembimmerparts.com listed as aftermarket versions? they are quite a bit less expensive than the OEM type.

either way i think i will be ordering the front ones at least. i'd like to think within a few weeks maybe, thats if i can prioritize things toward the car. and then finding time to install them. my passenger side on is completely inoporative. the motor works, but i had to cut the cable to make it go up all the way.

*Der E38*