Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Officially Weird
Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
[MZ3] Trying to install a Bosch 140a alternator into my 'shoe.. wiring too short?

My 2000 M Coupe's alternator failed.

Bought a new one. Turner recommends the 140amp Bosch as an "upgrade" and lists nothing else for my car.

My source had Bosch 140a, Valeo 140a, and Valeo 80a. So I went Bosch 140a.

What I found was, the wires on the car are too short. The ring terminals are the same diameter, and the dust cover/boot thingy are identical. But on the factory alternator the terminals are near the 'top' and the + lead is shorter (closer to the center of the alternator).

On the Bosch, the terminals are down low, and the + terminal is the farthest away one. It looks like I'm a good 3" short from being able to reach the + terminal on the alternator.

Anyone been through this before? I guess I could rig something together with some longer wire, but I don't want to hack it up too badly. There's a ziptie about a foot away; I could cut that and hope it buys me some slack, but it really doesn't look like it will. Plus I'd have to make sure whatever I do, the dust boot fits over the wiring.

Incidentally, there are 2 other problems with the Bosch 140a, for anyone who cares:
One is the pulley -- turns out the OE part for this car is a 115amp Valeo, and you can't use a Valeo pulley on a Bosch. I figured this out on my own -- it looked like it would be off by 5mm, and sure enough, Turner says to get a different pulley. Fine, ordered, pulley will be here weds.

The new one also has a round air hookup for air cooling. It takes a hose that looks bigger than a radiator hose and a hose clamp. I don't need it. It'll slightly block the installation, but I can work around that, no problem.

Anyway, hopefully my trials will help someone else, and I hope someone else has dealt with the wiring issue.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search